New life for an old pig... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Some of you may remember the saga behind my DD Pig which started almost a year ago, but for the rest of you I have attached an old link to explain a few things...

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=68924&highlight=seized+engine

I basically scored a nicely 'cosmetically restorified' Pig a couple years back and seized my engine last winter. Since then, I have been slowly disassembling my cruiser to accept a donor engine and have had time to fantasize about other mods while the rig is stuck in the garage. I plan on swapping the engines and doing most of the work mself (with a little help from my friends, of course). I now hope to upgrade to power steering, upgrade the brakes, new suspension, carb rebuild and maybe some headers. Wish me luck! Anway I thought if I shared my experiences I would be able to tap into the infinite wisdom and knowledge provided by the knights here on Mud.

Here are a couple porgress pics of pulling the donor engine from a rolled '81 FJ40. Plan is to pull the entire 2F engine, 4 spd tranny, and transfer case as one unit and then replace into my cruiser.
IMG_0919 copy.jpg
IMG_0920 copy.jpg

A couple pics of my cruiser sitting in the garage awaiting/during surgery. I have removed the skidplates, driveshafts, gas lines, battery/tray, vacuum lines and some other stuff. Plan is to remove the radiator and coolant this weekend and everthing else in order to be prepared for the removal. I plan on yanking the old engine while attached to the transmission and transfer case again. I have a a couple stubborn bolts to deal with also. Not many questions for the masses yet but I anticipate some head-scratching soon.
IMG_1109 copy.jpg
IMG_1152 copy.jpg

Post up and hopefully we can help if you need it. I have done one engine swap in my 55 and about 3 on another guys 40.

A couple weeks ago I unburied the stock rims for this cruiser from the dark corner of the garage and had the tires removed. Plan on mediablasting these rims, spraying some new gray paint on 'em, and then getting new tires. I would like to run the stock steelies and caps again.
IMG_1251 copy.jpg
IMG_1252 copy.jpg

More progress...

FINALLY yanked the old, tired engine out of the rig last night. What a great feeling. Now I can get started on prepping and installing the donor. Shouldn't be too bad. I have an email out to Jim C. for some advice and I may get my carb rebuilt by him. Still trying to figure out which power steering set-up to go with and I have a few other details to figure out. Last pic is of both engines side by side and waiting for me to swap parts. I think I will clean the engine bay and drivetrain a bit before installing.
IMG_1250 copy.jpg
IMG_1253 copy.jpg
IMG_1256 copy.jpg

What tires you planning to run on the steelies?

I have a set sitting here waiting to go under my 60 : ) been weighing the options of type and height/width...

That's a great question. I have been bouncing back and forth on this one for a while now. It depends on how much lift I end up going with. I will probably settle on about 3" and plan on running 33x9.5's on up to maybe a 34x 10.5...

I like the idea of a 10.5 wide tire for this rig along with a mild spring lift. Still saving cash and trying to decide. What are your plans for tires?

I had a set of 33 x 9.50's bfg AT that I thought were too skinny on the wagon. 10.5 seems like it would be the right choice... my gearing requires 33 to 35's to I was thinking 35 x 10.50 bfg at... 33 X 10.50 are 129$ per (tirerack) and they don't have 35 x 10.5 showing... so I can't seem to find a 10.5 wide 35. I guess to keep the steelies, 10.5 is max width. I do see Super Swamper Radial SSR
in 35 x 10.50 but are 220$ per and are not the type tire for my mostly on road driving of the 60. So I am not sure.

who makes a 34x 10.50 tire. TRXUS come in 34x 12.50 and they look awesome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom