Owners opinions that had trucks.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have an 07 Tacoma in addition to my 200 series. I've owned trucks on and off, and I went for 3 years with just the cruiser and a small utility trailer. There was nothing I couldn't accomplish with the cruiser and the small trailer except haul my 40, and that was easy enough with rented U Haul trailer.

For me, the truck is great if we want to throw the 4 bikes in the back and go ride somewhere as a family, or run to Lowes and pick something up. I also use the truck to drive for work trips because it keeps miles off of the bigger more expensive 200. When I bought the Tacoma 3 years ago, it reminded me how much I missed having a truck in the fleet.

Personally, unless you need the money or the driveway space, I'd keep the tundra around.

That is a very solid point, the trucks paid off and realistically its costs to own are fairly low (gas sucks ass but we knew this going in). I do most of the services myself and its been fairly easy/cheap to wrench on.

BLUF - I'm also pro-"keep the truck."

I currently have a very nice utility trailer that fills all the needs I can conceive of with hauling stuff. There's nothing like the utility/convenience of the truck bed IMO. Throwing whatever in the back and just going has its merits. Not worrying about pulling through some congested drive thru on road trips, parking garages, detours, whatever is NBD in a pickup. Not always the case when pulling a 12 footer. I too had to buy an extension to make it to the RV fitting we have on the 200. Redundancy also has its merits with having an extra vehicle. If it makes sense for your situation (storage, finance, etc), I'd keep the truck as I do have times where I miss my pickup.
This is another solid point. One thing I was recently thinking about is the times I have had to go into DC or some small towns here on the east coast to pick stuff up (furniture, car parts, whatever) I don't know how much of a PITA that would be.

This thread has been a really great read. This is probably of why you see so many "selling because I need a truck" ads on CL. Trailer vs. pickup is a lot like finding the "perfect" RV. You can easily convince yourself either way.

My neighbor had a hybrid F150 and man that thing had NOTHING but problems. I have always wondered why trucks aren't like mini locomotive engines. I am sure tons of reasons prevent that, but something I always wondered.

Totally off topic, but I read the 2025 RAM will have a locomotive powertrain option (100% electric propulsion, V6 generator not hooked up to the transmission, 690mi range). Of course, RAM is about the last company I would trust with this sort of thing, but it's cool to see the concept put into practice.

This thread has been a really great read. This is probably of why you see so many "selling because I need a truck" ads on CL. Trailer vs. pickup is a lot like finding the "perfect" RV. You can easily convince yourself either way.

Totally off topic, but I read the 2025 RAM will have a locomotive powertrain option (100% electric propulsion, V6 generator not hooked up to the transmission, 690mi range). Of course, RAM is about the last company I would trust with this sort of thing, but it's cool to see the concept put into practice.
I love this sort of ingenuity! I too have minimal expectations from this though, which is unfortunate. Too bad no matter who made the engine (Cummins or not), the engine will ultimately be wrapped in a Dodge.

I asked mainly because i read a few articles but nothing really hit the mark if that makes sense. I figured the best course of action was to ask the collective and give feedback/input when asked questions that way i can make the best educated decision. I have a ton of friends that all said "keep the truck" but.... none of them have a truck and I figured they had a reason for it hahaha. But there have been really really good points for both, and hopefully some more input.

Also that's pretty bad ass i'll definitely have to read up on that. To me it made the most sense because locomotives are super MPG efficient when you compare what they're doing/hauling. I also agree with your statement on RAM hahah, the same neighbor that had the hybrid F-150 sold his eco-diesel RAM 1500 to get out of that nightmare. It's funniy he's had like six trucks since i've lived here, and all have had issues, he said he wouldn;t buy a tundra just because i have a tundra and it would be weird. I didn't care but he's an interesting fella.

You can't beat a trailer. I have had one or another utility trailers my hole aduit life and I'm 64 years old now.
But at the same time I have always had a truck as well. right now I have 2 trucks, 2 trailers, 80 and a Honda accord.
I will never be with out a utility trailer or a truck there just to useful.

I asked mainly because i read a few articles but nothing really hit the mark if that makes sense. I figured the best course of action was to ask the collective and give feedback/input when asked questions that way i can make the best educated decision. I have a ton of friends that all said "keep the truck" but.... none of them have a truck and I figured they had a reason for it hahaha. But there have been really really good points for both, and hopefully some more input.

Also that's pretty bad ass i'll definitely have to read up on that. To me it made the most sense because locomotives are super MPG efficient when you compare what they're doing/hauling. I also agree with your statement on RAM hahah, the same neighbor that had the hybrid F-150 sold his eco-diesel RAM 1500 to get out of that nightmare. It's funniy he's had like six trucks since i've lived here, and all have had issues, he said he wouldn;t buy a tundra just because i have a tundra and it would be weird. I didn't care but he's an interesting fella.
odd rationale, but some people take longer than others to get to a point of their life they deem acceptable. Whatever. Keep being a good friend/neighbor and give him rides to the shop to pick up his POS in your tundra until if/when you sell it.

odd rationale, but some people take longer than others to get to a point of their life they deem acceptable. Whatever. Keep being a good friend/neighbor and give him rides to the shop to pick up his POS in your tundra until if/when you sell it.

Totally off topic, but yeah he now has a Rivian and I have seen the service tech three times now working on something lol. His thought was nothing can go wrong because its so simple.... survey says that is not the case.

You can't beat a trailer. I have had one or another utility trailers my hole aduit life and I'm 64 years old now.
But at the same time I have always had a truck as well. right now I have 2 trucks, 2 trailers, 80 and a Honda accord.
I will never be with out a utility trailer or a truck there just to useful.
Man this topic has opened a can of worms with the wife. She's been throwing out "ok maybe we sell van/80 get a 100, and we get a little trailer". So things have spiraled but its interesting none the less.

The thing about the 2nd gen tundra, is it’s really the best 1/2 ton truck on the market.
100%. It is dead nuts reliable, very capable, and easy to maintain. It was designed back when appeasing the EPA’s CAFE demands meant selling a bunch of Priuses to offset the trucks.

Tows extremely well. Longer wheelbase and lower stock gearing than a 200 (which is honestly a pretty great tow vehicle in its own right). My only gripe is that its lower payload rating puts me occasionally at GVWR or slightly above. If you value simplicity and dependability and don’t need an HD truck, it’s the only one IMO.

I can't believe you let your wife read MUD :hillbilly:

100%. It is dead nuts reliable, very capable, and easy to maintain. It was designed back when appeasing the EPA’s CAFE demands meant selling a bunch of Priuses to offset the trucks.

Tows extremely well. Longer wheelbase and lower stock gearing than a 200 (which is honestly a pretty great tow vehicle in its own right). My only gripe is that its lower payload rating puts me occasionally at GVWR or slightly above. If you value simplicity and dependability and don’t need an HD truck, it’s the only one IMO.

The towing aspect you're not wrong, i've towed tons of times with it and its been pretty effortless even up going over the rockies. The giant fuel tank is awesome too. That is a good point in relation to the EPA/CAFE, I remember when I was shopping and realized I needed a 1/2 ton I went to everyone and looked at what everyone was offering. It was honestly between Toyota and F150 with the 5.0 but all the plastic and the insanely confusing option packages left a bad taste in my mouth.

I can't believe you let your wife read MUD :hillbilly:

She's apart of the addiction to, its a family affair. I think the big reason is because the Land Cruiser allowed the entire family to enjoy the outdoors/see new things together. The Z is awesome but really its only a "me" thing, this allows the family to experience fun together and build a crap ton of memories. So whenever it comes to this type of stuff she gets interested, and she's wanted a 100 for years now so it might be a good opportunity to get into one hahaha. Now that the car seats are front facing and not these monstrous blobs of plastic it makes more sense, the van totally had its place but I believe we are more or less getting out of its usability with the cruisers/truck.

The towing aspect you're not wrong, i've towed tons of times with it and its been pretty effortless even up going over the rockies. The giant fuel tank is awesome too. That is a good point in relation to the EPA/CAFE, I remember when I was shopping and realized I needed a 1/2 ton I went to everyone and looked at what everyone was offering. It was honestly between Toyota and F150 with the 5.0 but all the plastic and the insanely confusing option packages left a bad taste in my mouth.
The two things you mentioned about fOrD are amongst the many reasons that drove me away from the oval and thank God into the LC! I do miss my truck, however I don't miss the ever worsening customer experience of being a fOrD owner and dealing with their maintenance issues/dealerships/corporate/etc.

The old truck vs SUV debate. So many factors to consider.

For my usage, if it came down to just one, it’d be a truck. For never ending house projects, annual runs to the dump, ski/bike hauling, nasty fishing gear, etc. I’ve got a 2019 F150 which has been an awesome truck with zero issues. I was debating a Tundra but the anemic payload drove me away (1,200lbs!!! vs 1,950lbs in the F150). But I do wish for the roll down rear window. I don’t know why no other truck has that. Such a nice feature.
I could make a LC work if I had to. Definitely a trailer, hitch cargo carrier would be purchased.

The old truck vs SUV debate. So many factors to consider.

For my usage, if it came down to just one, it’d be a truck. For never ending house projects, annual runs to the dump, ski/bike hauling, nasty fishing gear, etc. I’ve got a 2019 F150 which has been an awesome truck with zero issues. I was debating a Tundra but the anemic payload drove me away (1,200lbs!!! vs 1,950lbs in the F150). But I do wish for the roll down rear window. I don’t know why no other truck has that. Such a nice feature.
I could make a LC work if I had to. Definitely a trailer, hitch cargo carrier would be purchased.
Yeah that aluminum body reduces curb weight by quite a bit. The 2nd gen Tundra highest payload was like 2k, but that was in a regular cab long bed 2wd.

Mine is 1300. Steel body, big crew cab, old school v8 will do that. I have exceeded that. The first two Tundras to go a million miles on routine maintenance both carried over 2700 lb in the bed hotshotting heavy oil rig parts across the country. They did that for more miles than any of us will ever put on our trucks.

I’m not saying anyone should exceed their limits by that much, but the fact those guys did it for so long and so regularly makes me not really worry about it on the occasion I am overweight. YMMV

Yeah that aluminum body reduces curb weight by quite a bit. The 2nd gen Tundra highest payload was like 2k, but that was in a regular cab long bed 2wd.

Mine is 1300. Steel body, big crew cab, old school v8 will do that. I have exceeded that. The first two Tundras to go a million miles on routine maintenance both carried over 2700 lb in the bed hotshotting heavy oil rig parts across the country. They did that for more miles than any of us will ever put on our trucks.

I’m not saying anyone should exceed their limits by that much, but the fact those guys did it for so long and so regularly makes me not really worry about it on the occasion I am overweight. YMMV

Agreed, I wouldn’t worry much if you’re not over on a regular / permanent basis.
I don’t think the aluminum body contributes much to the payload. Maybe some. Suspension, brakes, etc play big roles (ie Look at the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks). Riding in my truck vs family/friends’ Tundras, the F150 rides rougher without weight.
Mine’s a Super Crew cab but in XLT trim (similar to SR5). A friend with a Platinum is around 1,600lbs. Gotta have that massaging chair, I guess!

Ford reduced their curb weight significantly by going to aluminum for the body and bed panels. More room to get to GVWR means more available payload.

Yes, I remember the commercials and pamphlets. But again, it’s more about suspension, braking, and other components other than aluminum panels. This is why F250’s have 3k lb payload.

Yes, I remember the commercials and pamphlets. But again, it’s more about suspension, braking, and other components other than aluminum panels. This is why F250’s have 3k lb payload.
The capability of all those components is directly related to the weight they have to deal with. Aluminium greatly reduces weight (vs steel). Vehicle weight plays a key role in GVWR.

The capability of all those components is directly related to the weight they have to deal with. Aluminium greatly reduces weight (vs steel). Vehicle weight plays a key role in GVWR.

GVWR is calculated by the capacity those components can handle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom