Owners opinions that had trucks.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Aloha Everyone,

I am in a pickle, and am genuinely curious on what you have done (if applicable). So I have a Tundra, and a 200. I love both rigs for different reasons. I have noticed since I have completed basically all major home projects and things of that nature the tundras usability has kinda gone down.

I do haul motors/car gear every now and again as well as random home depot runs. I do tow occasionally but I feel like the LC could easily tow my cars (Datsuns). I figured if I got a utility trailer that could handle everything else. I do go hunting in remote areas and have considered getting an old M416 or M1101 as I could haul things up to the cabin if need be, as well as deer and not ruin the back of the cruiser.

My neighbor got rid of his truck for a utility trailer and the more I see him using it the more I think it would be pretty handy, as well as freeing up some space and one less beast to feed fuel.

Not sure if any of you were in this type of situation, but wanted to hear others opinions and factors that might help with the decision. I appreciate the feedback.

Mahalo!

If you've got the space to store it, hard to beat a utility trailer. Especially when you consider $25,000 (or whatever, depends on your tundra) vs. $2,500 and negligible maintenance. I recently sold my trailer and have been renting from HD ad hoc. I don't love the rental process, but the price is right.

I have a 200 and an open 5X8 utility trailer. Perfect combination. More usable bed and capacity than a truck and more versatile. Just put a trailer where you used to have your truck and you're golden.

I'm a city slicker and am perfectly happy with renting a $19 utility trailer from U-Haul. If I had more need for truck-stuff I'd definitely consider keeping a beater around. But U-haul is down the street and I dont have to worry about storing a trailer when not in use.

I daily drove a 2016 Tacoma for 2.5 years before trading it in on the LX.

The Tacoma was fun off-road, but it sucked as a daily driver. A truck bed will never be the dry, weather proof space like in the back of the SUV, no matter what you do to it. Things inside will freeze, or boil. It's a horrible spot for a dog, it's a horrible spot for groceries, it's a horrible spot for just about everything except gravel and ATVs.

The only way I'd consider a truck is if I were a landscaper, or did something else that required daily use of a truck bed. For every other scenario, an SUV is 10x more practical. I no longer have a tailgate that is at risk of getting stolen, I no longer have a tailgate that freezes in the winter and doesn't open, and I have enormous, comfortable, noise-isolated, climate controlled cargo.

I use a 5x10 utility trailer for everything from hauling furniture to yard supplies. It fits 2 yards of dirt, and I can park it, disconnect, and keep using my SUV without rushing to unload the trailer (or truck bed). The trailer is easier to load/unload, easier to strap things down in, fits way more volume, carries more payload, and just makes 10x more sense for my use case.

I have a 200 and a 23 Tundra. The Tundra keeps miles off the 200 and is great for hauling when I need it. I have had trucks and trailers and both have pros and cons. A truck is great for convenient hauling. I can take it to the office, and pick up a load on the way home without having to get a trailer. Throw a tonneau on and have tons of storage for a road trip.

When it comes to cars or any purchase really, you should take into account life goals, savings, etc. and determine if you can afford it. For me the convenience of both makes sense.

If I didn't go offroading regularly, the Tundra would do eveything I need and the TTV6 is a ton of fun.

Both can work, but I always found the effort dealing with trailers (while not much) a big enough tradeoff to get a truck.

For someone considering new, Tundras will depreciate a bit (not bad compared to other full size trucks). A Tacoma can be a great choice as they basically hold their new value. Their used prices are insane.

I have a 200 and an open 5X8 utility trailer. Perfect combination. More usable bed and capacity than a truck and more versatile. Just put a trailer where you used to have your truck and you're golden.

The usability is what really got me, I see him using his trailer and it looks so clutch. The only reason I was looking at the older military trailers is because the cabin I go to its a bit... rough to get it and I figured they'd have the best chance of hauling and actually making it to the cabin/hunting spots. A post stated earlier too is maintenance is like nothing, and its something that can just exist and not need insurance or fuel.

A hitch mounted carrier for kills and hauling corn/feed, etc. is pretty damn handy when a trailer is overkill or the terrain is an impediment.
I was looking at those Pakmules for that specific purpose, is that what you use?

I daily drove a 2016 Tacoma for 2.5 years before trading it in on the LX.

The Tacoma was fun off-road, but it sucked as a daily driver. A truck bed will never be the dry, weather proof space like in the back of the SUV, no matter what you do to it. Things inside will freeze, or boil. It's a horrible spot for a dog, it's a horrible spot for groceries, it's a horrible spot for just about everything except gravel and ATVs.

The only way I'd consider a truck is if I were a landscaper, or did something else that required daily use of a truck bed. For every other scenario, an SUV is 10x more practical. I no longer have a tailgate that is at risk of getting stolen, I no longer have a tailgate that freezes in the winter and doesn't open, and I have enormous, comfortable, noise-isolated, climate controlled cargo.

I use a 5x10 utility trailer for everything from hauling furniture to yard supplies. It fits 2 yards of dirt, and I can park it, disconnect, and keep using my SUV without rushing to unload the trailer (or truck bed). The trailer is easier to load/unload, easier to strap things down in, fits way more volume, carries more payload, and just makes 10x more sense for my use case.
Man, this is like the sum of my things. The ONE nice thing is when I haul transmissions or engines (nasty crap) its nice i can spray the bed with some soap and whatever and just spray it out. I do really hate when i have to go to crawl into the back or hop up as its got huge sides and kinda a PITA to get in and out. The 200 should have 0 issue towing my Datsun based on what I have seen people in here tow. I have hauled my dogs and had to jerry rig radiator fans and junk to keep them cool, winter its a no go. All your points just make sense.

I was talking to my wife about taking the tundra and maybe get a GX or something smaller to having something comfy but also capable when I gotta go out and about.

Do you have any dislikes of the trailer vs a truck? I can only imagine basically the having to hook it up is the only down side, but would be interested in any other nags you have experienced.

I have a 200 and a 23 Tundra. The Tundra keeps miles off the 200 and is great for hauling when I need it. I have had trucks and trailers and both have pros and cons. A truck is great for convenient hauling. I can take it to the office, and pick up a load on the way home without having to get a trailer. Throw a tonneau on and have tons of storage for a road trip.

When it comes to cars or any purchase really, you should take into account life goals, savings, etc. and determine if you can afford it. For me the convenience of both makes sense.

If I didn't go offroading regularly, the Tundra would do eveything I need and the TTV6 is a ton of fun.

Both can work, but I always found the effort dealing with trailers (while not much) a big enough tradeoff to get a truck.

For someone considering new, Tundras will depreciate a bit (not bad compared to other full size trucks). A Tacoma can be a great choice as they basically hold their new value. Their used prices are insane.

I have a 16 and have had it since new. In my younger years it was used regularly and I agree but as time has progressed its now a big ass daily driver. I do have a cap and it does help with some of the more sensitive things I'd haul (engines and stuff). It's slowly been something both my wife and I noticed its not being used as we had predicted, though kids/life has happened and some projects are cheaper (time wise) to farm out vs me doing them. Could just be that point in life.

I did kinda plan on this being a "forever vehicle" in the fleet, as we have an 80/200. Once we upgraded the 80 to a 200 we use it for just about everything except hauling (nasty stuff). The 200 just does everything so damn good (except hauling obviously). So an initial thought was could be the do everything with a trailer. Again love peoples inputs and points it helps with considerations, so thank you for your input.

I drove a PU for thirty years. Bought an LC and figured I would get a small trailer. Then my father passed away and I inherited his Tacoma. Probably costs me less than $1000 for insurance, maintenance, etc. I drive it frequently and great to be able to toss anything in the back. Perhaps not the best use of money but then again it was my father's truck so that is okay.

Last edited:
Do you have any dislikes of the trailer vs a truck? I can only imagine basically the having to hook it up is the only down side, but would be interested in any other nags you have experienced.

The only dislike is that the connector for trailer wiring is tucked way under the bumper, so it's a pain to reach, and many trailers don't have wiring long enough, so it's a good idea to have a 3-4 foot extension at home.

Hooking up is a non-event, takes me all of 60 seconds, including finding the hitch in the garage closets.

Lots of people struggle with backing up a trailer. Do it enough and it becomes second nature. I firmly believe I can back up my trailer better than most people can back up their vehicles.

The trailer needs to be stored somewhere, but that's where the downsides end. I put three full-length tie-down tracks in my trailer, a whole bunch of extra die-down spots, and abuse the crap out of it on a very regular basis. Love having the trailer.

For bonus points, it acts as a dumpster when I have large items that I need to discard, but can't put in the residential garbage container. I chuck them in the trailer, and once enough accumulates, take it all to the dump in one go.

Two yards of mulch (did about 10 such loads this past summer):

SyRh8SM.jpg

Park it wherever you want it, work at your leisure:

Jf0bGqQ.jpg

Bring home a sauna kit, leave it in the garage until you're ready to work on it. No rush to unload anything.

wpbkhH2.jpg

Tie-down options for days:

bZYKOh1.jpg

(I've since added another layer of plywood to have the "floor" be above the tracks.)

Bonus feature! 40km of fresh tracks with a travel trailer? LX don't care.

affvtRF.jpg

For me, the only thing a truck does better than a utility trailer is haul bikes, kayaks, etc. Using a trailer and parking at a trail head or drop off spot is not ideal. Otherwise, utility trailer all the way.

In 2018 I traded in my 2008 LC for a new F250. I currently drive a 2013 LX. Will not be making that mistake again.

Recently I pulled the Carfax on my 08 to see what happened to it after I traded it. It went to auction then exported out of Baltimore to Ghana.

I have a 16 and have had it since new. In my younger years it was used regularly and I agree but as time has progressed its now a big ass daily driver. I do have a cap and it does help with some of the more sensitive things I'd haul (engines and stuff). It's slowly been something both my wife and I noticed its not being used as we had predicted, though kids/life has happened and some projects are cheaper (time wise) to farm out vs me doing them. Could just be that point in life.

I did kinda plan on this being a "forever vehicle" in the fleet, as we have an 80/200. Once we upgraded the 80 to a 200 we use it for just about everything except hauling (nasty stuff). The 200 just does everything so damn good (except hauling obviously). So an initial thought was could be the do everything with a trailer. Again love peoples inputs and points it helps with considerations, so thank you for your input.
Yeah, you can't go wrong if you do what makes the most sense for you. my Tundra is my 4th vehicle. There are places I don't take it (downtown, airport parking garage, etc.). I would not love it as a daily. It is the reason I sold my 13 Tundra.

Thankfully my office has ample parking, and I drive the Tundra when I know I need to haul something (but can't park a trailer there). An example is picking up sliders from the local terminal and went straight from work and threw them in the bed.

I also can't have a trailer unless it is garaged (HOA) and like the ability to haul when needed. I used to keep a 5x8 trailer in the garage, and it is easy to haul, but I left it at my lakehouse and eventually sold it at a premium. I grew up with boats so I learned to back a trailer before I had a license. I had a double axle 6x12 enclosed that was very nice too. Trailers check a lot of boxes.

I just like having a truck bed when needed, and have a really large driveway. Small things like hauling used oil, and dont want it in my cab, or getting rid of greasy used parts. Hauling my snowblower to the lakehouse with no desire to pull a trailer on winter roads, parking a trailheads, etc.

But if you feel you don't need or desire to have a truck, a trailer is much more economical and most can haul larger loads than a truck if you have a good spot to store it. It will definitely hold value better than a Tundra, especially a good condition used trailer.

I'd say keep the Tundra temporarily, get a trailer and use it for 6 months, and decide if it checks all the boxes before selling your truck.

In hindsight, I should have kept my 2013 Tundra. It would be worth now what I sold it for in 2015.

I have only owned 2 trucks from time I started driving. 1977 Ford F100 got it used in 1988 (first vehicle) and the bought new 1997 Toyota T100 that I still have. I really like my truck. I also really like my LC. Could I live with LC and utility trailer? YES. Would I? Not any time soon. As to full size truck Tundra and LC I would only have one or the other not both. Tacoma and LC YES. One of biggest reason I still have that T100 is that it is 5 speed manual. It fun to drive. I can load and unload my 10'6" kayak in bed.

The only dislike is that the connector for trailer wiring is tucked way under the bumper, so it's a pain to reach, and many trailers don't have wiring long enough, so it's a good idea to have a 3-4 foot extension at home.

Hooking up is a non-event, takes me all of 60 seconds, including finding the hitch in the garage closets.

Lots of people struggle with backing up a trailer. Do it enough and it becomes second nature. I firmly believe I can back up my trailer better than most people can back up their vehicles.

The trailer needs to be stored somewhere, but that's where the downsides end. I put three full-length tie-down tracks in my trailer, a whole bunch of extra die-down spots, and abuse the crap out of it on a very regular basis. Love having the trailer.

For bonus points, it acts as a dumpster when I have large items that I need to discard, but can't put in the residential garbage container. I chuck them in the trailer, and once enough accumulates, take it all to the dump in one go.

Two yards of mulch (did about 10 such loads this past summer):

SyRh8SM.jpg

Park it wherever you want it, work at your leisure:

Jf0bGqQ.jpg

Bring home a sauna kit, leave it in the garage until you're ready to work on it. No rush to unload anything.

wpbkhH2.jpg

Tie-down options for days:

bZYKOh1.jpg

(I've since added another layer of plywood to have the "floor" be above the tracks.)

Bonus feature! 40km of fresh tracks with a travel trailer? LX don't care.

affvtRF.jpg

Damn that's freaking awesome, I showed my wife and she went. "LOOK AT ALL THE DIRT WE CAN GET FOR THE GARDEN BEDS" hahahha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom