Owners opinions that had trucks.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For me, the only thing a truck does better than a utility trailer is haul bikes, kayaks, etc. Using a trailer and parking at a trail head or drop off spot is not ideal. Otherwise, utility trailer all the way.
Yeah I do have a bike and kid trailer during summer would be difficult in the 200, but I am sure I can figure something out.

I have only owned 2 trucks from time I started driving. 1977 Ford F100 got it used in 1988 (first vehicle) and the bought new 1997 Toyota T100 that I still have. I really like my truck. I also really like my LC. Could I live with LC and utility trailer? YES. Would I? Not any time soon. As to full size truck Tundra and LC I would only have one or the other not both. Tacoma and LC YES. One of biggest reason I still have that T100 is that it is 5 speed manual. It fun to drive. I can load and unload my 10'6" kayak in bed.
Its funny, when we went to buy a truck we looked at a Tacoma. The dealer would not sell it to us because at the time I was pretty hard core into rallying, and would be towing an STi and spares plus people. The dealer was like "that's just a horrible idea, it CAN do it, but I would not feel comfortable". After I did a ton of research the Tundra seemed to fit the bill and it did for a few years and well not racing anymore but still restore cars. I was thinking of downgradng to a tacoma but drove my buddies and its pretty anemic.

The T100 was pretty awesome honestly.

In 2018 I traded in my 2008 LC for a new F250. I currently drive a 2013 LX. Will not be making that mistake again.

Recently I pulled the Carfax on my 08 to see what happened to it after I traded it. It went to auction then exported out of Baltimore to Ghana.

What made you go from LC to F250, then back to a 200?

This year I sold my 2008 LC and picked up a 2016 Tundra.. have been liking the switch very much, no regrets. I still use my utility trailer a ton- it's better for larger loads of lumber, hauling steel, better for delivering shipping crates to a freight terminal- all of which I do frequently. But I've been able to do about half of what I used to have to use the trailer for without the trailer now- like delivering just a few things to powder coating, moving just a couple bundles of steel tubing, small load of furniture, etc. And then I love driving home without the empty trailer. So much. I put about 10,000 miles/year on my utility trailer last few years, actually wore through a set of tires, even though I'm great at parking it, backing it up, etc. it's still a pain to do every day.

I also went from 12ish MPG to 16ish mpg... and a 34 gallon gas tank. Can't say enough great things about the big tank. But I have other trucks that I can wheel and go explore the desert in though... as the big fat Tundra isn't the best fit for a lot of those places. But out on the highway it's a delight, super happy that I made the switch. If I didn't still have the 40 and the GX, I'd probably regret not still having the 200. But for now I'm actually liking truck life... albeit, with a utility trailer a lot of the time.

This year I sold my 2008 LC and picked up a 2016 Tundra.. have been liking the switch very much, no regrets. I still use my utility trailer a ton- it's better for larger loads of lumber, hauling steel, better for delivering shipping crates to a freight terminal- all of which I do frequently. But I've been able to do about half of what I used to have to use the trailer for without the trailer now- like delivering just a few things to powder coating, moving just a couple bundles of steel tubing, small load of furniture, etc. And then I love driving home without the empty trailer. So much. I put about 10,000 miles/year on my utility trailer last few years, actually wore through a set of tires, even though I'm great at parking it, backing it up, etc. it's still a pain to do every day.

I also went from 12ish MPG to 16ish mpg... and a 34 gallon gas tank. Can't say enough great things about the big tank. But I have other trucks that I can wheel and go explore the desert in though... as the big fat Tundra isn't the best fit for a lot of those places. But out on the highway it's a delight, super happy that I made the switch. If I didn't still have the 40 and the GX, I'd probably regret not still having the 200. But for now I'm actually liking truck life... albeit, with a utility trailer a lot of the time.

For you it totally makes sense, with all your products you gotta haul back and forth. Definitely something a 200 isn;t going to be the best tool for that job. But I do see your perspective and appreciate that. It is funny you talk about the fuel tank, its one thing I hate about the 200 and will likely be getting a LRA tank next. I get nervous when I know there is a long distance between fillups, or spots I want to go but its that "is this enough if something happens".

The usability is what really got me, I see him using his trailer and it looks so clutch. The only reason I was looking at the older military trailers is because the cabin I go to its a bit... rough to get it and I figured they'd have the best chance of hauling and actually making it to the cabin/hunting spots. A post stated earlier too is maintenance is like nothing, and its something that can just exist and not need insurance or fuel.
Ha! My cabin is several miles through the dunes and rough 2 tracks and it’s never been a problem. In fact, I even wrote an article about the road for Toyota Trails back in ‘19. If you get a trailer, just be sure it has at least 15” wheels to give you good ground clearance and good tire availability. I do have a cushion drawbar I got from etrailer to lessen the shock loads when roughing it.

One thing to consider with a second vehicle, on days the cruiser does not start (albeit this is rare) you have a backup vehicle to take you to work in the morning. This could also happen if you are working on the cruiser and need a tool to finish the job, you can drive your second vehicle to get it.

You can also use the truck on bad weather days to ensure you are keeping the fluids moving instead of just sitting. (And the keep the cruiser in the garage that day and not load on more miles)

The thing about the 2nd gen tundra, is it’s really the best 1/2 ton truck on the market. I don’t see that changing anytime soon with the way the new vehicles are heading. It’s a real shame. EV tech is not ready for truck use, and it’s apparent with the Ford Lightning for example.

Furthermore, it’s difficult to find a used truck that wasn’t beat on. If you have one that wasn’t, keep it and it will serve you well for 20 years. That depreciation cost spread out over 20 years is insignificant, and the 2nd gen tundra is one of the last trucks built that will easily last that long.

I will also note, I am a bit biased because I have a 2016 LC and 2021 Tundra. I use the tundra for dirty work, and keep the LC as my clean people hauler. Having dirty boots after hunting for example is a task for my Tundra, not the LC. Hell, this past weekend for late buck season, it was very nice to have a bed with a tonneau cover where I could throw a buck in real quick and hose down the bed once I was done. I didn’t have to mess around with a trailer on forest roads, and also didn’t have to strap down the deer due to having the tonneau cover.

From an economical stand point, it is better to have a trailer instead of a truck, but if you can afford the luxury of also having a truck then in my opinion, it’s worth the trade-off. Especially on such a reliable set of vehicles (peak Toyota engineering). Luxury truly comes from owning assets that make your day to day tasks easier, and having a truck bed is one of those things for me at least.

Last edited:
One thing to consider with a second vehicle, on days the cruiser does not start (albeit this is rare) you have a backup vehicle to take you to work in the morning. This could also happen if you are working on the cruiser and need a tool to finish the job, you can drive your second vehicle to get it.

You can also use the truck on bad weather days to ensure you are keeping the fluids moving instead of just sitting. (And the keep the cruiser in the garage that day and not load on more miles)

The thing about the 2nd gen tundra, is it’s really the best 1/2 ton truck on the market. I don’t see that changing anytime soon with the way the new vehicles are heading. It’s a real shame. EV tech is not ready for truck use, and it’s apparent with the Ford Lightning for example.

Furthermore, it’s difficult to find a used truck that wasn’t beat on. If you have one that wasn’t, keep it and it will serve you well for 20 years. That depreciation cost spread out over 20 years is insignificant, and the 2nd gen tundra is one of the last trucks built that will easily last that long.

This is a solid point, but I have 5 cars in my fleet.... another reason I was looking at downsizing hahaha.

My neighbor had a hybrid F150 and man that thing had NOTHING but problems. I have always wondered why trucks aren't like mini locomotive engines. I am sure tons of reasons prevent that, but something I always wondered.

But your last point is one of my big arguments, in general it only really costs me fuel and since I have so many cars the insurance isn't really that horrible when its all grouped together. I do feel my 16 is just "modern enough" but also "stupid enough" kind of that sweet spot. It was stupid handy to jack the cruiser up rip the wheels off and throw it in the back of the truck to get new tires on.

Ha! My cabin is several miles through the dunes and rough 2 tracks and it’s never been a problem. In fact, I even wrote an article about the road for Toyota Trails back in ‘19. If you get a trailer, just be sure it has at least 15” wheels to give you good ground clearance and good tire availability. I do have a cushion drawbar I got from etrailer to lessen the shock loads when roughing it.

Really, that is interesting. Something I might borrow a uhaul and test out hahaha. I know those M1101's are aluminum and pretty basic (loved them when I was in) but this is a consideration I have not thought of so appreciate that.

This is a solid point, but I have 5 cars in my fleet.... another reason I was looking at downsizing hahaha.

My neighbor had a hybrid F150 and man that thing had NOTHING but problems. I have always wondered why trucks aren't like mini locomotive engines. I am sure tons of reasons prevent that, but something I always wondered.

But your last point is one of my big arguments, in general it only really costs me fuel and since I have so many cars the insurance isn't really that horrible when its all grouped together. I do feel my 16 is just "modern enough" but also "stupid enough" kind of that sweet spot. It was stupid handy to jack the cruiser up rip the wheels off and throw it in the back of the truck to get new tires on.

Really, that is interesting. Something I might borrow a uhaul and test out hahaha. I know those M1101's are aluminum and pretty basic (loved them when I was in) but this is a consideration I have not thought of so appreciate that.

What are the other 3 vehicles in your fleet? That may impact your decision.

P.S. - I also edited my previous post and added some other pertinent points for why the Tundra makes sense (in my situation at least).

The Tundra and 200 series are really works of automotive art. I will have a tough time getting rid of either of them down the road. Nothing comes even remotely close to scratch that itch (especially with hearing about basket cases (such as the Hybrid F150 you were talking about) from every manufacture of new vehicles).

Last edited:
What are the other 3 vehicles in your fleet? That may impact your decision.

P.S. - I also edited my previous post and added some other pertinent points for why the Tundra makes sense (in my situation at least).

The Tundra and 200 series are really works of automotive art. I will have a tough time getting rid of either of them down the road. Nothing comes even remotely close to scratch that itch (especially with hearing about basket cases (such as the Hybrid F150 you were talking about) from every manufacture of new vehicles).

80 series, a Sienna that's 200k+ and kind of living on borrowed time, lastly is a 71 240z. It's awesome but its not taking me to work no way in hell to many idiots on the road M-F.

Your edited points are also very valid. As stated earlier the cost of ownership isn't horrible, I think the issue is being on the east coast and having massive cars with east coast parking is getting old. Also sometimes I gotta go into the cities and the tundra is a PITA to find parking, or a garage that I can fit in. But I do agree with your points in relation to assets/time.

M101A3 is a good size and is very versatile.

trailer.jpg

I have both. I sometimes carry my bikes in the bed. Do gardening. So, while I don't use my F150 for "heavy-duty" stuff, the truck bed is so useful and flexible.

We will always have a truck in the family.

LC is my "midlife crisis" car bc I got it when I turned 45 as a present to myself. That said, LC is clearly likely be more reliable and longer lasting than my Ford.

But as for practicality and if I can only have one vehicle, it would be the truck. F150 interior is huge...so roomy! Comfy enough (but LC rides better). Lots of electronic goodies (wireless CarPlay, Blue Cruise, etc). Just as quiet as LC. Tows. I can throw anything into the bed and not worry about dirt/dust/staining.

And of course, F150 Powerboost does something that LC cannot...it can power my house in an outage! Oh and it gets 23 mpgs in city AND highway driving.

IMG_7289.jpeg

Last edited:
80 series, a Sienna that's 200k+ and kind of living on borrowed time, lastly is a 71 240z. It's awesome but its not taking me to work no way in hell to many idiots on the road M-F.

I’m assuming the Sienna is the wife mobile and kid hauler? That one is probably off limits for now, and when it takes a dump, are you planning on replacing it with another minivan or will kids be grown enough that you don’t need to mess around with car seats and the 200 can be the family hauler?

I would NOT downgrade from a Tundra to a Tacoma, albeit parking may be a pain with the Tundra on the east coast, but having a full size bed makes the truck actually useable. The Tacoma bed is too small to make much use of it, and I would honestly take a LC+trailer combo over a small Tacoma bed if I had a choice. Don’t even get me started on the dreaded 3.5 liter engine with that horrible transmission mapping in that vehicle. Why they swapped that engine from the 4.0 to the 3.5 is beyond me.

I generally would not get rid of the 80 series since a good rule of thumb is to never get rid of your cruisers. Most people regret doing so, but the 80 series is getting long in the tooth and OEM parts are becoming unobtanium.

The 240z makes sense to keep if that’s your fun car and has sentimental value. In an ideal world, there should be a place in everyone’s garage for a vehicle like that.

570 and a Tundra here. The Tundra is my daily. The 570 is my wife’s. They both have their strengths, and neither one’s is fuel economy. Haha.

I love my Tundra. It’s the closest I’ll get to a Land Cruiser with a bed without buying a 25+ year old import. Throwing dead deer, a yard of mulch, 12’ lumber, all 5 of our bikes, etc in the bed is just too easy. Spray it out, and walk away. I don’t know if I could ever not have a truck with at least a short bed around.

We also have a utility trailer to haul ATVs, lawnmower, etc.

September this year in CO:
IMG_3490.jpeg

Two years ago in CO:
IMG_3476.jpeg

IMG_5177.jpeg

Building a treehouse for the kids a couple years ago:
IMG_7944.jpeg

Paging @AZBoatHauler

I’m assuming the Sienna is the wife mobile and kid hauler? That one is probably off limits for now, and when it takes a dump, are you planning on replacing it with another minivan or will kids be grown enough that you don’t need to mess around with car seats and the 200 can be the family hauler?

I would NOT downgrade from a Tundra to a Tacoma, albeit parking may be a pain with the Tundra on the east coast, but having a full size bed makes the truck actually useable. The Tacoma bed is too small to make much use of it, and I would honestly take a LC+trailer combo over a small Tacoma bed if I had a choice. Don’t even get me started on the dreaded 3.5 liter engine with that horrible transmission mapping in that vehicle. Why they swapped that engine from the 4.0 to the 3.5 is beyond me.

I generally would not get rid of the 80 series since a good rule of thumb is to never get rid of your cruisers. Most people regret doing so, but the 80 series is getting long in the tooth and OEM parts are becoming unobtanium.

The 240z makes sense to keep if that’s your fun car and has sentimental value. In an ideal world, there should be a place in everyone’s garage for a vehicle like that.

The mini van actually was the OG family do everything car. After our last cross country trip we couldn't get to a spot my wife wanted to see, and she looked me dead in the eyes. "You know how you talked about land cruisers, we are freaking doing it" and that was that. We bought the van off eBay for 5k and its one of the older lived vehicles in the fleet ( next to the z). Kids are now front facing so we basically keep it around because its worth nothing to sell and we still use it on and off. The misses actually wants a 100 when the van dies to replace it.

The taco was not enjoyable so I agree with you on that. It was a thought at first. I really wanted one as well at first, but after driving that then going into the tundra and having my hauling needs in mind (when first buying), it was a no brainer.

The 80 has been a real treat my kids love it, I genuinely enjoy driving it when i go out camping and stuff. The biggest issue honestly was safety with the kids on long trips. Its up in miles but came from a family with a giant binder of all work they ever did since new so to me i'm pretty happy with it. I just finished redoing the cooling system and removing the rear heater.

The Z is exactly that, bought it for myself after Afghanistan and its not leaving the family. I use to race datsuns as a kid and wanted one that was just... nice/stock and that fits that, also love taking the misses out for evening drive (when its not freezing or raining).

The mini van actually was the OG family do everything car. After our last cross country trip we couldn't get to a spot my wife wanted to see, and she looked me dead in the eyes. "You know how you talked about land cruisers, we are freaking doing it" and that was that. We bought the van off eBay for 5k and its one of the older lived vehicles in the fleet ( next to the z). Kids are now front facing so we basically keep it around because its worth nothing to sell and we still use it on and off. The misses actually wants a 100 when the van dies to replace it.

The taco was not enjoyable so I agree with you on that. It was a thought at first. I really wanted one as well at first, but after driving that then going into the tundra and having my hauling needs in mind (when first buying), it was a no brainer.

The 80 has been a real treat my kids love it, I genuinely enjoy driving it when i go out camping and stuff. The biggest issue honestly was safety with the kids on long trips. Its up in miles but came from a family with a giant binder of all work they ever did since new so to me i'm pretty happy with it. I just finished redoing the cooling system and removing the rear heater.

The Z is exactly that, bought it for myself after Afghanistan and its not leaving the family. I use to race datsuns as a kid and wanted one that was just... nice/stock and that fits that, also love taking the misses out for evening drive (when its not freezing or raining).

My vote is the 80 series since safety is an important factor to me, and the 200 series can pretty much do everything the 80 series can (better in most cases - more luxurious, power for days from the 5.7, safety tech, etc.) other than hardcore rock crawling (which it doesn’t sound like you are doing that).

Hell, you could liquidate the 80 and the minivan to purchase a clean 100 series for the Mrs. which would make her happy.

(Sorry to go off topic from the Tundra/trailer discussion, but if you are looking to dump a vehicle and make more room, that’s what I would do.)

I owned a 1999 Ford F-250 with the power stroke. It was stolen and found on fire in the country. I decided to downsize and bought a 2000 Tacoma TRD. It's all the truck I need for hauling my motorcycle or picking up a sofa or stuff for gardening. It has been so reliable that I can't bring myself to get rid of it even though I have 3 Land Cruisers and access to a trailer.

I have a 16 and have had it since new. In my younger years it was used regularly and I agree but as time has progressed its now a big ass daily driver. I do have a cap and it does help with some of the more sensitive things I'd haul (engines and stuff). It's slowly been something both my wife and I noticed its not being used as we had predicted, though kids/life has happened and some projects are cheaper (time wise) to farm out vs me doing them. Could just be that point in life.

I did kinda plan on this being a "forever vehicle" in the fleet, as we have an 80/200. Once we upgraded the 80 to a 200 we use it for just about everything except hauling (nasty stuff). The 200 just does everything so damn good (except hauling obviously). So an initial thought was could be the do everything with a trailer. Again love peoples inputs and points it helps with considerations, so thank you for your input.
I also have the 80/200 combo. And, a 13 Taco OR with the rare MT.
From a completely rational financial position I could have done a bunch of things; a trailer being one of them.
I'm currently in Montana hunting with my 2 dogs in the 80. I have the Pacmule designed for the 200. A must have.
Come to think of it, I do need a trailer. A camper trailer.
Accepting cash donations from my fellow MUD "members."

Keep the 200, sell the tundra and buy a 2WD 90-00s F150 or GM 1500 single cab long bed, then throw a locker and some M/Ts at it. Convince SO that the savings needs to be spent on the 200.

I have an 07 Tacoma in addition to my 200 series. I've owned trucks on and off, and I went for 3 years with just the cruiser and a small utility trailer. There was nothing I couldn't accomplish with the cruiser and the small trailer except haul my 40, and that was easy enough with rented U Haul trailer.

For me, the truck is great if we want to throw the 4 bikes in the back and go ride somewhere as a family, or run to Lowes and pick something up. I also use the truck to drive for work trips because it keeps miles off of the bigger more expensive 200. When I bought the Tacoma 3 years ago, it reminded me how much I missed having a truck in the fleet.

Personally, unless you need the money or the driveway space, I'd keep the tundra around.

BLUF - I'm also pro-"keep the truck."

I currently have a very nice utility trailer that fills all the needs I can conceive of with hauling stuff. There's nothing like the utility/convenience of the truck bed IMO. Throwing whatever in the back and just going has its merits. Not worrying about pulling through some congested drive thru on road trips, parking garages, detours, whatever is NBD in a pickup. Not always the case when pulling a 12 footer. I too had to buy an extension to make it to the RV fitting we have on the 200. Redundancy also has its merits with having an extra vehicle. If it makes sense for your situation (storage, finance, etc), I'd keep the truck as I do have times where I miss my pickup.

My vote is the 80 series since safety is an important factor to me, and the 200 series can pretty much do everything the 80 series can (better in most cases - more luxurious, power for days from the 5.7, safety tech, etc.) other than hardcore rock crawling (which it doesn’t sound like you are doing that).

Hell, you could liquidate the 80 and the minivan to purchase a clean 100 series for the Mrs. which would make her happy.

(Sorry to go off topic from the Tundra/trailer discussion, but if you are looking to dump a vehicle and make more room, that’s what I would do.)
I talked to her about it last night and she actually didn't think its a horrific idea. With the market the way it is for 80's i doubt at this current time thought it would be worth it. She also suggested seeing if someone would trade 80/100 and we give cash ontop. So not a horrible idea at all honestly.

I also have the 80/200 combo. And, a 13 Taco OR with the rare MT.
From a completely rational financial position I could have done a bunch of things; a trailer being one of them.
I'm currently in Montana hunting with my 2 dogs in the 80. I have the Pacmule designed for the 200. A must have.
Come to think of it, I do need a trailer. A camper trailer.
Accepting cash donations from my fellow MUD "members."
The 80/200 combo is sweet if im being honest. We had the 80 for a few years and its been great but as stated earlier its basically me and the misses driving it. We do take the kids (short trips) but nothing long distance anymore. We put a crap ton of miles on it, and its been awesome at some of the hunting/shooting spots I go to. It was also a bucket list car for me, as well. I do want a pacmule which model do you have?

Keep the 200, sell the tundra and buy a 2WD 90-00s F150 or GM 1500 single cab long bed, then throw a locker and some M/Ts at it. Convince SO that the savings needs to be spent on the 200.
It is funny you say that, I was looking at OSB's the other day. The thought was a single cab would be fine as it would be a hauling/whatever thing. One of my good friends bought a 2500 Ram single cab and its the beater. Though my thought was to kinda get away from more vehciles to maintain. But it is an idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom