Need Opinions - 570 wrecked at dealer (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DadWagon

SILVER Star
Threads
Good morning all, hoping for some advice. My LX was recently at the Lexus dealer for 120K service. Unfortunately two young attendants backed my car and another into each other in the parking lot while it was there. Moving cars around the lot is my understanding. Extremely frustrating to me as this is my dream car and I feel very lucky to drive it everyday. So my question is, what would you guys ask for the dealer to do to help make this right? They are replacing all parts with OEM and painting bumper cover... problem with that is I'll now have a non stock (even though it's OEM it'll never be the same) repainted bumper cover which bothers me.

Follow up to what I should ask them is what should I do? Should I convince my wife to sell her car and start driving the LX so it stays in the family and search for a cherry 100 series for myself? Should I just get over it and accept it for what it is and drive it?

Anyone else out there super picky about stuff like this or not picky at all that wants to weigh in? Looking for other's thoughts, I know it's my decision at the end of the day on what to do with it next but I'm struggling.

IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1165.JPG

IMG_1164.JPG

IMG_1163.JPG

Good morning all, hoping for some advice. My LX was recently at the Lexus dealer for 120K service. Unfortunately two young attendants backed my car and another into each other in the parking lot while it was there. Moving cars around the lot is my understanding. Extremely frustrating to me as this is my dream car and I feel very lucky to drive it everyday. So my question is, what would you guys ask for the dealer to do to help make this right? They are replacing all parts with OEM and painting bumper cover... problem with that is I'll now have a non stock (even though it's OEM it'll never be the same) repainted bumper cover which bothers me.

Follow up to what I should ask them is what should I do? Should I convince my wife to sell her car and start driving the LX so it stays in the family and search for a cherry 100 series for myself? Should I just get over it and accept it for what it is and drive it?

Anyone else out there super picky about stuff like this or not picky at all that wants to weigh in? Looking for other's thoughts, I know it's my decision at the end of the day on what to do with it next but I'm struggling.

View attachment 3492564

View attachment 3492565

View attachment 3492566

View attachment 3492567
warranty extension? seems like a reasonable ask esp. if something pops up that wasn't initially diagnosed.

They should be replacing those parking sensors .. I would check they are.
Sounds like you are looking for some excuse to get a 100 .. LOL.

Not sure about LX pastics but for my 2013 LC, the plastic parts like the bumper skin come color matched. There is no painting. It will be good as new, assuming install is done correctly, and the install is just some screws, plastic retainers and snap locks. It could not be easier. Even the parking sensors are easy with the bumper off. Looks like only the bezels of those need replacement but if any on them don't work, of course replace.

I'd make sure that the event doesn't end up as a recorded accident that will show up on Carfax or something. Or... insist that it does and ask for "diminished value" in addition to the repairs. A recorded accident does affect resale if you care about that.

Not sure about LX pastics but for my 2013 LC, the plastic parts like the bumper skin come color matched. There is no painting. It will be good as new, assuming install is done correctly, and the install is just some screws, plastic retainers and snap locks. It could not be easier. Even the parking sensors are easy with the bumper off. Looks like only the bezels of those need replacement but if any on them don't work, of course replace.

I'd make sure that the event doesn't end up as a recorded accident that will show up on Carfax or something. Or... insist that it does and ask for "diminished value" in addition to the repairs. A recorded accident does affect resale if you care about that.
Even if it doesn't show up as a recorded accident, the dealer might still list the work performed (rear bumper replacement) on carfax, which will also look sketchy. So make sure they don't list it as something that will raise a red flag (which has definitely happened to other people before). It would be best if they don't list anything at all on the vehicle history.

Like the ithers said. Take a close look so you don’t get any listing. But if they replace everything I would be personally ok.
Lets say the next big service or something like this (you know…things you would pay mostly the time) will be for free for your time you don’t have the car and I‘d think it should be fine.
That would be fair from my point of view.

Last year also some crashed into my front bumper but since the fire galvanization wasn’t damaged I only asked them to bring the next day a bottle of bedliner and two crates of beer.
Honestly if you are good and happy with that dealer I wouldn’t overdoing it ☺️

Yet another verified reason to do at home maintenance.

Make sure they give a good look at hatch and tailgate reveals to identify and fix any potential twisting, though it seems unlikely.

When you used the word wrecked in the thread title I expected to see an LX that had fallen off the lift and landed wheels up :). A bumper bender fits in my category of stuff happens. Take the advice above and make sure the work is not recorded in the service history, ask for the next oil change to be free, and continue driving and enjoying your dream vehicle.

Good tips, that was the first thing I made clear to them on the recording. So all good there. Unfortunately this shell does not come color matched on a 13 LX.

They should be replacing those parking sensors .. I would check they are.
Sounds like you are looking for some excuse to get a 100 .. LOL.
Haha yeah, maybe. I prob had sensors turned off as I usually have my bike rack on (unluckily I didn't or that would have taken the hit).

Good tips, that was the first thing I made clear to them on the recording. So all good there. Unfortunately this shell does not come color matched on a 13 LX.
I'm wrong on the paint match for the LC. The rocker panels do come paint matched but the rear bumper cover does not.

And if you didn’t lock your glove box and keep the key blade with you, make sure your recirc flap isn’t broken.

Otherwise.. if the part comes painted I’d have no issue with letting them do the work assuming it stays off carfax. If the bumper skin needs paint I’d ask that it go to a very reputable body shop, not just whoever is cheapest/convenient.

I'd ask for a lifetime warranty on the repaint and maybe half off a service (have your spark plugs been replaced yet?)...

Incident... Upsetting but s*** happens to everyone. You'll get over it. This could have happened in a parking lot hit and run and would have been all on you.

Repair... This should be an easy one, good as new if done properly. No one will know.

Painting... Make sure is done at a good pro body shop. This is the only thing that can show what happened. Make sure color is either perfect match, some colors are easy, some impossible to match. You may need some blending into the quarter panels. But a very good shop that color matches it's own paint (not many do these days) should be able to get it to the point that only a pro trained eye can hardly spot the non factory paint job.

BTW I have same color and it was not hard to color match with no blending.

Our vehicles use a 3-color paint (base, top, and clearcoat). Many paint shops like to use a single-color replacement instead that mimics the appearance of the OEM 3-color layers, but inevitably it only matches in certain lighting (e.g., in daytime lighting but not dusk, or vice-versa). So make sure the paint shop they use actually does the full tri-color job. It makes a bigger difference on lighter colored vehicles like white or silver.

The comments for keeping off of Carfax and out of the service records is why buying a used vehicle is so sketchy for me these days. FWIW, I purchased my Toyota CPO used LC with a documented minor accident (no structure damage or airbags), same with my wife’s X5. Got good deals on good vehicles that were repaired with OEM parts and done right. I would prefer to know where the damage occurred and that it was repaired correctly instead of getting a buyer beware surprise down the road. To me, vehicles are expensive tools, not a reflection of myself so others may not share my opinion

All that ^ is true but it is the buyer perspective not the seller, and he is a potential seller. I'm not advocating for being dishonest. But this is a bit of gray area.
When people see an accident on the report they assume the worse even if the car is fixed like or better than before. Many just skip the listing.
It would be up to the OP to tell the buyer.
For a big job I'll be for reporting cause those tend to have more risk of developing flaws in the future (hidden rust, noises, broken clips, etc).
This is an as easy as it comes body job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom