Need Opinions - 570 wrecked at dealer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Our vehicles use a 3-color paint (base, top, and clearcoat). Many paint shops like to use a single-color replacement instead that mimics the appearance of the OEM 3-color layers, but inevitably it only matches in certain lighting (e.g., in daytime lighting but not dusk, or vice-versa). So make sure the paint shop they use actually does the full tri-color job. It makes a bigger difference on lighter colored vehicles like white or silver.
Very helpful info, thank you.

Our vehicles use a 3-color paint (base, top, and clearcoat). Many paint shops like to use a single-color replacement instead that mimics the appearance of the OEM 3-color layers, but inevitably it only matches in certain lighting (e.g., in daytime lighting but not dusk, or vice-versa). So make sure the paint shop they use actually does the full tri-color job. It makes a bigger difference on lighter colored vehicles like white or silver.

I was told "Your paint code is 01J4, that one is a base coat and then a clear. The newer silver is 01JL and that one it the base, top, and clear." This is a 2013 LX570, true or no?

You came to the internet to ask about what to do with scratched plastic? Even after dealer agreed to OEM replacements?

I was told "Your paint code is 01J4, that one is a base coat and then a clear. The newer silver is 01JL and that one it the base, top, and clear." This is a 2013 LX570, true or no?
That may be true. It's good that they recognize it has a clear coat. You can probably look up your paint code and what paint layers are used using an online tool that parses your VIN, if you really want to be sure.

I would make sure they give you a full detail, exterior being the most important part. If they simply spray your bumper from the paint code it may not perfectly match the 10yrs of wear on the rest of the truck. If they somehow match it your existing paint (total ignorance if body shops try to match paint colors or strictly use paint codes) and you have the truck detailed later, there could be a mismatch. I would want all of the oxidation buffed out of the rest of the truck for this.

Got my truck back, they had to paint it twice as they didn't get the texture of the paint right the first time, it was almost as if there was a flex or depth to it which didn't match even though color was right. They did a good job the second time and covered my 120K service. Not perfect but think that's just reality. I think they handled it very well so I took them a $50 starbucks card to the service manager to buy everyone involved a coffee and let them know there weren't any hard feelings and I appreciated them doing their best on customer service.
IMG_1387.jpg
IMG_1388.jpg

Plastic bumpers never perfectly match the painted metal, even from the factory.

I'm glad you are happy with the work - cars will never stay pristine unless they are stored inside and never driven. Especially since the damage was just limited to the bumper, I'd be happy with what was done and what perks were thrown in. Even if it hit the Carfax, you have pictures so it's easy to show the damage was minimal.

Only other option would have been have them give you the cost of repair and put that towards a metal bumper :)

Got my truck back, they had to paint it twice as they didn't get the texture of the paint right the first time, it was almost as if there was a flex or depth to it which didn't match even though color was right. They did a good job the second time and covered my 120K service. Not perfect but think that's just reality. I think they handled it very well so I took them a $50 starbucks card to the service manager to buy everyone involved a coffee and let them know there weren't any hard feelings and I appreciated them doing their best on customer service. View attachment 3498430View attachment 3498431
Looks good best I can tell from pics. Classy move for gift card. I can’t say I would have given more than a sincere “thanks” and a handshake.

Got my truck back, they had to paint it twice as they didn't get the texture of the paint right the first time, it was almost as if there was a flex or depth to it which didn't match even though color was right. They did a good job the second time and covered my 120K service. Not perfect but think that's just reality. I think they handled it very well so I took them a $50 starbucks card to the service manager to buy everyone involved a coffee and let them know there weren't any hard feelings and I appreciated them doing their best on customer service. View attachment 3498430View attachment 3498431
Good looking rig. Sir, very classy for treating the service manager and crew to Starbucks.

It looks good. You have pics of the damage so if the carfax is ding’d when you sell it you can actually show with pictures it was minor damage

They say Metallic Silver is the most difficult paint to match. Unfortunately, I have silver too.

I can still see some color mis-match?

Yes the mis-match is visible in the photo, the bumper skin is a lighter color. Likely looks ok with the naked eye at a distance.

I can still see some color mis-match?
From the 2nd picture I agree. Unless it looks better in person, I would not be happy and would want it repainted and blended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom