Truck out of oil… need opinions! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I had the LC serviced (135k) at the local Toyota dealer this weekend… I smelled a bit of oil the last couple times I started it and today notice spots on driveway which prompted investigation under truck… sure enough it has leaked enough oil to basically cause it to not register on the dipstick.

I just ran up to grab some oil (another car) and will measure amount lost. UPDATE: added ~2quarts to bring level to top of dipstick range.

Truck has not acted adversely to this point but have concerns with potential damage.

Any suggestions on what I should expect when I discuss this with the Toyota dealer tomorrow?

Last edited:
Check to see where the drips are coming from. My first guess would be that one of the o-rings on the filter housing was not installed correctly. It is particularly easy to get the large o-ring seated in the wrong notch on the housing.

2 quarts is all it needed? I would not be too concerned about any engine damage. It still should have ~6 quarts in it being 2 quarts low. Make sure to get the dealer to fix the leak though.

Any suggestions on what I should expect when I discuss this with the Toyota dealer tomorrow?
Once the technical aspects are fixed, namely the leak I would be discussing whether they will be refunding the total cost of the service to the credit card or issuing a credit.

Last edited:
Agree. 8qt total so you were using six.. even with heavy towing I’m confident you’d avoid engine damage with that quantity.

Figure out the leak and drive on.

It’s possible too that the express lane service person only added 6 qts and was sloppy with the oil filter removal, leading to the driveway oil spots. They may have had no idea how much oil to put in and just left the auto shut off from the bulk oil container on 6 qts. But for sure have the dealer check for leaks, both at the filter and the drain plug. And clean up the engine undercover. And refund the cost for your hassle.

And make sure your recirc flap isn’t broken!

Update… I took the truck back to the dealer this morning and luckily there appears to be no harm… the issue turned out to be a cracked filter drain plug. No codes. No lights. I have the filter and a sample of the oil before they drained and replaced. I am planning to send a sample to black stone labs a “just in case”, but no glitter apparent anywhere and the truck is running as expected. Whew

Thanks for the feedback here. I will post oil sample results once they are in. Should be interesting to see what the results of a 135k motor with compliant service looks like!

Anybody have a link to those recirc flap warning stickers that someone made?
I don’t have the link but would advise you not to rely on it as first line of defense.

The ONLY way to totally avoid the issue is lock your glove box and keep the key blade with you any time your 200 is anywhere for service.

Update… I took the truck back to the dealer this morning and luckily there appears to be no harm… the issue turned out to be a cracked filter drain plug. No codes. No lights. I have the filter and a sample of the oil before they drained and replaced. I am planning to send a sample to black stone labs a “just in case”, but no glitter apparent anywhere and the truck is running as expected. Whew

Thanks for the feedback here. I will post oil sample results once they are in. Should be interesting to see what the results of a 135k motor with compliant service looks like!
Were you able to grab a photo of the cracked filter drain?

I once drove my 1980 Celica for about 50 miles with the engine reading hot. Coolant was fine but I had to add 3.5 quarts of oil before it read full on the dipstick again. The engine only held 4.9 iirc. I later discovered the oil pan bolts were so loose I could tighten them by hand.

I drove that car another 12k miles before I sold it still running strong, save for a slight radiator leak. I think the next owner finally killed it by driving it 50 miles from Richmond to
Newport News, VA with an empty radiator.

I suspect being 2 quarts low will be fine so long as you weren’t pushing it up near the redline for any length of time.

Were you able to grab a photo of the cracked filter drain?
It was so small I don’t think a camera could pick it up. Toyota had an entire service team working on the truck trying to figure it out when one of the younger guys noted a hairline crack along and parallel with the threads. And interestingly, the plug did not appear to have any stress marks I. The head which I would I have thought over- torque would be culprit…

I once drove my 1980 Celica for about 50 miles with the engine reading hot. Coolant was fine but I had to add 3.5 quarts of oil before it read full on the dipstick again. The engine only held 4.9 iirc. I later discovered the oil pan bolts were so loose I could tighten them by hand.

I drove that car another 12k miles before I sold it still running strong, save for a slight radiator leak. I think the next owner finally killed it by driving it 50 miles from Richmond to
Newport News, VA with an empty radiator.

I suspect being 2 quarts low will be fine so long as you weren’t pushing it up near the redline for any length of time.
Yep. Engine actually takes ~9 quarts from dry… I learned 2 quarts is within margin of error for the 5.7 and by design. No loss of pressure even on hills and turns…

You are a lot more patient than I am. I don’t have patience for dealerships. I buy parts online and take to independents.

Yep. Engine actually takes ~9 quarts from dry… I learned 2 quarts is within margin of error for the 5.7 and by design. No loss of pressure even on hills and turns…
You have Toyota documentation to back that up?

You have Toyota documentation to back that up?
The FSM agrees. @dcs111 gets a gold star. I was also unaware until I just looked it up.

1694015342997.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom