Wanted Out of Africa. Looking for an FJ40 in Boston... and some advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi,

I must admit this is my first post on any kind of forum so I hope I got it in the right place.

I recently moved to Cambridge, MA from Nairobi, Kenya where I'd lived for several years. In the process I had to say goodbye to my Land Rover Defender. A much loved G4 that had been on many safaris, camping trips and amazing experiences, once even being charged by a rhino in Nairobi national park.

After I realised that importing it was never going to happen I looked at defenders in the US, but none of them could ever live up to the one I had and instead of trying to recapture something something past I figured I'd look for something new. I've always thought the FJ40 was one of the best looking little 4X4s and had my eye on owning one for a long time. Now that I'm here I'd really like to own one to use as an everyday car and something fun to go on weekend trips and see more of this amazing country you guys have.

I have dabbled in a bit of repair and servicing (as all defender owners have). But I really think I lack the skill (or time with a new job to get to grips with) at this stage to do any kind of restoration beyond a few minor part swaps or simple jobs on my own.

So what I'm asking is twofold: what kind of 40 should I be looking for; year, model, mileage, features, F2 engine or the swaps that some seem to favour. What is a good price range to be looking in, is there a recommended mechanic I can use locally to assess the value of any I find etc. etc.

And secondly are there any forum members who know of or even own an FJ40 in the area that they might consider parting with.

Advice and recommendations appreciated,

Dave

P3090200.JPG

P1160273.JPG

P1170344.JPG

Close call.jpg

P1170329.JPG

Dave, welcome to the USA and also to the MUD family! Your Defender is a beautiful specimen it's a real shame that you weren't able to bring it with you. There are many really nice FJ40's for sale here in the U.S., however, due diligence is required in order to weed through the not so good ones, in any case we'll be glad to help you find a nice cruiser. In the interim you may want to check our classifieds section where there's a nice selection of 40s. Classifieds

Thanks very much for the reply. I spent many hours going through the classifieds before joining, but it raised more questions than it answered. I don't know much about buying a car and even less about buying an FJ40 so I figured I'd better ask the community in general for advice.

Here are several reputable web sites that offer Land Cruisers for sale:
Inventory
Classic Toyota Land Cruisers for Sale - Classics on Autotrader

What to look for when buying an FJ40

FJ40s are timeless and beautiful 4x4 vehicles that everyone wants to have one these days. Prices may range from $8,000 to $80,000 plus, however, the price of an FJ40 does not always reflect the mechanical and cosmetic condition of the vehicle, that's why a buyer must first do his due diligence prior to pulling the trigger and shelling out a nice chunk of cash from your savings account. Not all FJ40 are created equal in this saturated FJ40 market, unscrupulous sellers have a tendency to over sell and under deliver. Make sure all aspects of the vehicle are well described and well documented with lots of picture. Pictures speak volumes, however, a personal inspection of the vehicle is always best, if you don’t have the expertise bring a friend along that does, this will help to properly evaluate the vehicle.
Here are the various components of the vehicle that need to be inspected in great detail prior to purchase.

The Due diligence Inspection

The condition of the body and chassis on 40-year-old plus vehicles is always a major concern; corrosion and rust is undoubtedly a top concern and very important during your initial inspection.

Undercarriage

First focus on the undercarriage condition, if there’s lots of rust, holes and possibly a bent frame then you may want to reconsider as the vehicle frame may need structural repairs and/or possibly a complete replacement due to the severity of the rust or damage.
While under the vehicle take the opportunity to check for oil leaks and other visible issues.

Exterior

The exterior is also important if you are aficionado like myself, however, some buyers are not meticulous about the exterior paint and sheet metal condition. If you are first check the rear quarter panels and the rear sill as these are the most popular areas for rust intrusion. Another rust prone area is the floor boards both driver and passenger sides. The front bib is constantly sand blasted and subject to premature wear and ultimately rusted.

The front fenders generally have better longevity, however, not knowing the origin of the vehicle and history it’s a good idea to check for corrosion in these areas as well.

The collapsing wind screen and cowl area should be checked for any signs of corrosion, as well as all window gaskets. If the FJ40 you are considering to purchase has a hardtop roof then check for water leaks inside and around the roof area and all associated gaskets between the roof and the hard sides of the vehicle, a good tell tail is a stained headliner and body rust.

If the cruiser has a soft top, then you have been warned, most soft-tops leak regardless of age or quality of the top unless it was properly installed by the previous owner.

Interior

The interior of these cruisers is either original or aftermarket, i.e. seats, floor mats, dash pads, etc.

Check the front seats and rear jump seats for tears and cushions for comfort, also check the floor boards and rear deck for rust and corrosion penetrations. The gauge cluster instruments should all be functional, check fire wall for any holes that might allow exhaust gasses from entering the cabin. Look under the dash for any signs of brake fluid leaks and water leaks a good tell tail is rust.

Operate all windows and doors and pay close attention to failed weather stripping and seals which may allow water to enter the cabin area.

Engine/Drive train

A 2F engine is more desirable than earlier engine models, earlier F engines were not as peppy as the newer ones.

What to look for:

1. oil leaks

2. antifreeze leaks

3. gas leaks

4. compression test

5. smooth running

6. unusual sounds (knocking etc.)

7. oil consumption (blue smoke from exhaust tail pipe)

Have a qualified shop inspect your cruiser prior to purchase.

Let me know if you need additional information, and also check our FAQ section 40-series FAQ

Last edited:
Here are several reputable web sites that offer Land Cruisers for sale:
Inventory
Classic Toyota Land Cruisers for Sale - Classics on Autotrader

What to look for when buying an FJ40

FJ40s are timeless and beautiful 4x4 vehicles that everyone wants to have one these days. Prices may range from $8,000 to $80,000 plus, however, the price of an FJ40 does not always reflect the mechanical and cosmetic condition of the vehicle, that's why a buyer must first do his due diligence prior to pulling the trigger and shelling out a nice chunk of cash from your savings account. Not all FJ40 are created equal in this saturated FJ40 market, unscrupulous sellers have a tendency to over sell and under deliver. Make sure all aspects of the vehicle are well described and well documented with lots of picture. Pictures speak volumes, however, a personal inspection of the vehicle is always best, if you don’t have the expertise bring a friend along that does, this will help to properly evaluate the vehicle.
Here are the various components of the vehicle that need to be inspected in great detail prior to purchase.

The Due diligence Inspection

The condition of the body and chassis on 40-year-old plus vehicles is always a major concern; corrosion and rust is undoubtedly a top concern and very important during your initial inspection.

Undercarriage

First focus on the undercarriage condition, if there’s lots of rust, holes and possibly a bent frame then you may want to reconsider as the vehicle frame may need structural repairs and/or possibly a complete replacement due to the severity of the rust or damage.
While under the vehicle take the opportunity to check for oil leaks and other visible issues.

Exterior

The exterior is also important if you are aficionado like myself, however, some buyers are not meticulous about the exterior paint and sheet metal condition. If you are first check the rear quarter panels and the rear sill as these are the most popular areas for rust intrusion. Another rust prone area is the floor boards both driver and passenger sides. The front bib is constantly sand blasted and subject to premature wear and ultimately rusted.

The front fenders generally have better longevity, however, not knowing the origin of the vehicle and history it’s a good idea to check for corrosion in these areas as well.

The collapsing wind screen and cowl area should be checked for any signs of corrosion, as well as all window gaskets. If the FJ40 you are considering to purchase has a hardtop roof then check for water leaks inside and around the roof area and all associated gaskets between the roof and the hard sides of the vehicle, a good tell tail is a stained headliner and body rust.

If the cruiser has a soft top, then you have been warned, most soft-tops leak regardless of age or quality of the top unless it was properly installed by the previous owner.

Interior

The interior of these cruisers is either original or aftermarket, i.e. seats, floor mats, dash pads, etc.

Check the front seats and rear jump seats for tears and cushions for comfort, also check the floor boards and rear deck for rust and corrosion penetrations. The gauge cluster instruments should all be functional, check fire wall for any holes that might allow exhaust gasses from entering the cabin. Look under the dash for any signs of brake fluid leaks and water leaks a good tell tail is rust.

Operate all windows and doors and pay close attention to failed weather stripping and seals which may allow water to enter the cabin area.

Engine/Drive train

A 2F engine is more desirable than earlier engine models, earlier F engines were not as peppy as the newer ones.

What to look for:

1. oil leaks

2. antifreeze leaks

3. gas leaks

4. compression test

5. smooth running

6. unusual sounds (knocking etc.)

7. oil consumption (blue smoke from exhaust tail pipe)

Have a qualified shop inspect your cruiser prior to purchase.

Let me know if you need additional information, and also check our FAQ section 40-series FAQ

Great post

One I wish I hadn't seen. my agitated wife thinks I'm insane now.

Hi,

I must admit this is my first post on any kind of forum so I hope I got it in the right place.

I recently moved to Cambridge, MA from Nairobi, Kenya where I'd lived for several years. In the process I had to say goodbye to my Land Rover Defender. A much loved G4 that had been on many safaris, camping trips and amazing experiences, once even being charged by a rhino in Nairobi national park.

After I realised that importing it was never going to happen I looked at defenders in the US, but none of them could ever live up to the one I had and instead of trying to recapture something something past I figured I'd look for something new. I've always thought the FJ40 was one of the best looking little 4X4s and had my eye on owning one for a long time. Now that I'm here I'd really like to own one to use as an everyday car and something fun to go on weekend trips and see more of this amazing country you guys have.

I have dabbled in a bit of repair and servicing (as all defender owners have). But I really think I lack the skill (or time with a new job to get to grips with) at this stage to do any kind of restoration beyond a few minor part swaps or simple jobs on my own.

So what I'm asking is twofold: what kind of 40 should I be looking for; year, model, mileage, features, F2 engine or the swaps that some seem to favour. What is a good price range to be looking in, is there a recommended mechanic I can use locally to assess the value of any I find etc. etc.

And secondly are there any forum members who know of or even own an FJ40 in the area that they might consider parting with.

Advice and recommendations appreciated,

Dave

View attachment 1400104

View attachment 1400105

View attachment 1400106

View attachment 1400107

View attachment 1400108
I have an 82 in NJ $32k about 5 hours south

Sorry mate, don't think I want to be paying that much if I can help it. got a house to buy this year. Thanks for the offer tho!

The South X West suggestion is a good one. Look for something in Texas, Arizona, New Mexico or southern California. Lack of rust and rot will pay off in the long run, and anything you buy can be cheaply trucked to your home.

I would suggest you stay away from conversions (ex: Chevy V8 motor, trans). Just my opinion, but a stock FJ40 is already perfect. Another suggestion - 1978 or later. Hold out for the rear ambulance doors and the rear outside spare tire mount. Those rear ambulance doors are mucho ergonomic.

So I live about 2 hours west of Boston(lived there for 7 years) I just bought my 78 FJ40 that I'm getting treated and painted within the week. If you want to give me a PM I can discuss how my search went and basically put yourself in a position to have one find you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom