Ordered Disc brakes, now I need larger rims. 16" - 17" Rim options? Help please. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ordered Wilwood disc brakes for the front and rear for my 73 55. I'm told I will need larger rims to clear the brakes. I'd like to retain the stock rim look. What and where do I get them, what are my options? I'm looking but not finding a 16-17" rim.

Wait and see how they will fit with stock wheels , Maybe a wheel spacer will work ?
I have 4 wheel disks with stock 15 wheel , as you see no problem

IMG_2192.jpg

Last edited:
I believe City Racer makes a stock looking wheel. I got mine from Stockton Wheel, but I heard they're closed now. Mine are 16" wheels and I have to grind the calipers a little to work. I think it's all in the back spacing of the wheel. Like sunny side up said, you could use a spacer.

Forgot to add.....my wheels have a 3.5" back space.

Last edited:
Last edited:
17 would be my choice for a 35 inch tire , Now you need to think about what size tire ? HeHe

Perhaps the wilwood calipers are bigger than the Toyota calipers most of us use for the front discs.
I think it would be hard to shop for wheels without having the brakes installed first.
Shame you didn't opt for the Toyota setup.
I prefer big tires on little wheels, 37x14.5 on 15" rims with 2" backspacing.

pghead2.jpg

I have the Man-a-Fre Willwood disc conversion on my pig. I use 15in rims with no issue. I do remember, if you have super early toyota 15in rims you may have rivets and those are an issue with disc calipers.

Perhaps the wilwood calipers are bigger than the Toyota calipers most of us use for the front discs.
I think it would be hard to shop for wheels without having the brakes installed first.
Shame you didn't opt for the Toyota setup.
I prefer big tires on little wheels, 37x14.5 on 15" rims with 2" backspacing.

View attachment 3390775We are in different worlds. I might hit a gravel road but this picture terrifies me lol

I have the Man-a-Fre Willwood disc conversion on my pig. I use 15in rims with no issue. I do remember, if you have super early toyota 15in rims you may have rivets and those are an issue with disc calipers.
Are you happy with the brakes? Any issues since the conversion?

10 years no issue. The replacement rotors are a bit costly but not out of hand.

I ran 15" wheels with my Four wheel disc with no issues and run 17" wheels now for tire selection rather than clearance.

View attachment 3389963
Do you have any issues with the tires rubbing the leaf springs? I got 33" BFG mud terrains and they rub. I need spacers, but do not want them sticking out too far. Wondering what other people have gotten as far as depth of spacers.

What's the back spacing on the wheels? I'm 3.5" back spacing on 16' rims with no spring interference, but with 4 runner calipers I have to do some grinding to make them fit the wheel. 33" tires.

What's the back spacing on the wheels? I'm 3.5" back spacing on 16' rims with no spring interference, but with 4 runner calipers I have to do some grinding to make them fit the wheel. 33" tires.
17X8.5 | 6X139.7 | -10 | Is the -10 the offset? I don't know anything about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom