Options to increase power on a LC 200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. I found out about this forum from folks in the Facebook Landcruiser group. I am in the process of finalizing my purchase of a 2020 Land Cruiser Heritage Edition.

I planned to do some modifications to it, such as adding off road bumpers, installing rock sliders, beefier roof rack, and bigger tires. All of those things will make the SUV heavier, and thus slower. This is why I was looking for ways to increase power of the engine.

After doing some reading here and a few searches, the options seem limited. I wanted to install a supercharger, cold air intake, headers, mid pipes, and cat back exhaust.

I can’t seem to find any parts for the bolt ons, maybe because there aren’t many 200 LC sold in the USA compared to elsewhere.

As for the supercharger, the ECU is locked, and I only found 2 options - Magnuson and Harrop. Magnuson tells me their kit works in the Tundra, and will work in the LC with some modifications. They said the issue is the lack of calibration for it. The Harrop unit seems to work without calibration for less than optimal gains, but after reading some posts here, there seems to be issues with the parts fitting the LC, and in the end, it’s an incomplete system without calibration. A local shop also said the LC may need upgrades to the driveshaft and axles because it may not be able to handle the extra torque.

Does anyone know if any options for increasing power to the engine or solutions to the above? I wonder if I can use Tundra parts with some modifications. Without adding power to the engine, the most I will do in terms of modifications is change the tires to all terrains and just drive it as is.

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. I found out about this forum from folks in the Facebook Landcruiser group. I am in the process of finalizing my purchase of a 2020 Land Cruiser Heritage Edition.

I planned to do some modifications to it, such as adding off road bumpers, installing rock sliders, beefier roof rack, and bigger tires. All of those things will make the SUV heavier, and thus slower. This is why I was looking for ways to increase power of the engine.

After doing some reading here and a few searches, the options seem limited. I wanted to install a supercharger, cold air intake, headers, mid pipes, and cat back exhaust.

I can’t seem to find any parts for the bolt ons, maybe because there aren’t many 200 LC sold in the USA compared to elsewhere.

As for the supercharger, the ECU is locked, and I only found 2 options - Magnuson and Harrop. Magnuson tells me their kit works in the Tundra, and will work in the LC with some modifications. They said the issue is the lack of calibration for it. The Harrop unit seems to work without calibration for less than optimal gains, but after reading some posts here, there seems to be issues with the parts fitting the LC, and in the end, it’s an incomplete system without calibration. A local shop also said the LC may need upgrades to the driveshaft and axles because it may not be able to handle the extra torque.

Does anyone know if any options for increasing power to the engine or solutions to the above? I wonder if I can use Tundra parts with some modifications. Without adding power to the engine, the most I will do in terms of modifications is change the tires to all terrains and just drive it as is.

Sprung weight (bumpers and mods) hurts performance much less than larger/heavier tires.

While the LC is no rocket ship - it is not short on power at all. I appreciate that its subjective but the thing moves out of its own way without issue.

Power options are limited unless you’re willing to drop the big bucks. You’ll compromise reliability and durability which is why conversations on power here on Mud are limited.

Hello everyone,

Definitely no shortage of power in the 200, but if you are going with bigger tires and some added weight, I think you can achieve a more spirited driving experience with a regear. Seems like a popular option with tires and weight. I haven't done it yet, but will be this summer. Everything I've read on here says its a game changer.

Outside of forced induction, the classic bolt on parts and strategies to increase volumetric efficiency, aka breathing, should apply. There's limited power options here too.

1) Headers may be the largest bang for the buck

2) Exhaust or resonator upgrade/delete

3) Intake mods and you may need to roll your own here

4) Watch the weight

The 8-speed already has great low end gearing. If you're going for tires on the larger end, like 34s, you can re-gear with diff carriers from 6-speed cruisers.

Last edited:
Doesn’t add power but the pedal commander is a huge improvement. Also like said above keep it as lite as possible and a regearing of the diffs can make huge difference . Let us know if we can help with the build. We specialize is aluminum steel hybrid armor that will make a huge difference in weight and overall performance once the build is complete.

Last edited:
Force induction is not the only way to add power. Stroker kit for 3URFE is available if you have unlimited budget. Standalone ECU like motec is always an option.

A4550061-59F3-43F8-9FC6-601EC438155D.png

Its NOT about increasing power......its about increasing power to weight ratio!!! 200 is a pig and needs to get on the treadmill and lose some weight.!! My goal for a 200 is 4800lbs on 35s. -900lbs. effective 15% hp and torque boost.....and lighter weight on stock beefy parts should be great for durability , braking performanc- acceleration and mpgs. 15.5 -16mpgs around town should be doable.

Stop the silly bolt-on power reducers and start thinking outside the box people.......and get out yer sawzalls. I cant wait to get my hands on a 200 and trim some fat. Will be deleting all rows of seats and putting 80 cloth front seats in for 400lbs loss. Will delete the sunroof and mech. - another 40-50lbs. for starters 500lbs loss = 10% more hp/tq.

89FD61DA-488E-4CEA-B5B3-9D550C984408.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Get it and drive it for a while. They have plenty of power. Even with mild armor.

If you decided to go with the Magnusson S/C, there are a few shops across the nation that have done these installs enough times that they have become good at it. I definitely would not have this done by a local shop that has never installed one before. Sparks Toyota in Myrtle Beach SC did my install. The west coast mudders can weigh in on who may be able to do this somewhere near you.

First Good luck in your search for power adds.
Second why I don't think you need it. My 2016 LC is stock with better tire still stock size. I can set the cruise on freeway at 90 and unless cop stops me it will go that fast all day. I can set the cruise at 80 pulling a 3000lb boat and trailer and unless cop stops me it will go that fast all day. Sorry your not going to win any stop light drag wars unless it pouring rain. If you add all that weight and go to bigger tires a diff gear change will make the biggest difference to your happiness. As a note I get about 16.5 mpg in most of my combined driving. I get about 10 to 11 mpg pulling boat.
Once again good luck with power adds. Hope you find something you like and it works well.

Drive it in its factory stock configuration for a few months to become familiar with it. Don't change anything at first. Create a mental baseline. You'll likely find that the engine has plenty of power.
If you're curious how bolted on extra weight might impact performance — place the equivalent amount of weight in the cruiser and drive it for a while (full jerry cans, sand bags etc).

Have you owned a 200 series prior? I would say power is not an issue with this platform.

Agree that re-gearing is the best thing you can do with added weight.

Often overlooked is training the ECU. I had to have my ECU reset and then stomped on it for a few days until ECU learned my shift points. Otherwise it go in granny limp mode if not properly trained.

The 200 has plenty of power for most folks. Mine is a DD with plenty of extra weight as a constant factor. If a new driver is behind the wheel the first thing I tell them is go easy on the gas pedal. Pretend you are a limo driver and do not want your passenger to spill their drink. They always spill the drink for a few miles... Plenty of torque and power. If your adding a lot of weight a major concern are the brakes. Beef those up. Upgrade the rotors and calipers ect. It will make your ride a lot safer and if you like to speed and drive reckless you will be able to stop. It's a large motor stock. If you go balls out with motor mods please keep this thread updated. If you have the cash and time just find a gear head to build you a custom motor, re gear everything and go from there. I've never seen a circle track LC! Heh. Most folks don't get a new LC and worry about power. But yeah I really want to see someone turn one into a drag racer. A very heavy racing machine.

I wish that video talked about what motor and trans they used..
Some info posted here.

Starting with the 5.7-liter V8 found in every new Land Cruiser, Toyota's Motorsports Technical Center engineers strapped on a pair of ginormous (i.e. volleyball-sized) Garrett turbochargers capable of pushing up to 55 psi of boost; added new pistons, rods, and a bunch of other internal bits; and ran it all through a racing transmission capable of handling the ludicrous output.

Wish they would go into more detail. Interested in the backstory on the oil leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom