How is the market on 2021 LC 200 60k miles? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No direct experience driving the LX 600 in snowy weather, but I have yet to find a rig that feels as solid and “grippy” in the snow as the 200 series. It’s hard to break them loose.

Welcome back!!

No direct experience driving the LX 600 in snowy weather, but I have yet to find a rig that feels as solid and “grippy” in the snow as the 200 series. It’s hard to break them loose.

Welcome back!!
Of my 4 current vehicles the 200 is the least solid and grippy in the snow. I rarely drive it in the winter. Which isn’t surprising, on winter roads heavy is bad, high CG is bad. It is better then most trucks but almost all AWD cars will run circles around it in the winter.

For me it goes
MB e 4 matic->Subaru legacy->Tesla model 3->200. I have nokian Hakkas on all of them.

Of my 4 current vehicles the 200 is the least solid and grippy in the snow. I rarely drive it in the winter. Which isn’t surprising, on winter roads heavy is bad, high CG is bad. It is better then most trucks but almost all AWD cars will run circles around it in the winter.

For me it goes
MB e 4 matic->Subaru legacy->Tesla model 3->200. I have nokian Hakkas on all of them.
What? How is weight a bad thing on snowy roads?

Also, how is clutch style AWD better than a true 4WD planetary gear set? There’s no way a Subaru legacy performs better than a 200 in snowy conditions.

What? How is weight a bad thing on snowy roads?

Also, how is clutch style AWD better than a true 4WD planetary gear set? There’s no way a Subaru legacy performs better than a 200 in snowy conditions.
Weight = sled when you hit the brakes, and on winter roads I will argue stopping is more important then going. I live in the mountains in Alaska, when the roads are bad in therms of ice (which can be most of the winter) going down the hill from my house my 200 activates ABS and stability control all The time. Almost never happens in my other cars.

As for subaru. This suprises you? Subaru are well known as some of the best winter vehicles for the last 40 or so years. Have you ever driven one in the winter? In states/areas that get a true long winter season (AK, WY, MT, VT, NH, ME,…) Subarus are everywhere.

My legacy is the flat 4, almost no torque, my kids drive it, it is rock solid and planted on winter roads.

Weight = sled when you hit the brakes, and on winter roads I will argue stopping is more important then going. I live in the mountains in Alaska, when the roads are bad in therms of ice (which can be most of the winter) going down the hill from my house my 200 activates ABS and stability control all The time. Almost never happens in my other cars.

As for subaru. This suprises you? Subaru are well known as some of the best winter vehicles for the last 40 or so years. Have you ever driven one in the winter? In states/areas that get a true long winter season (AK, WY, MT, VT, NH, ME,…) Subarus are everywhere.

My legacy is the flat 4, almost no torque, my kids drive it, it is rock solid and planted on winter roads.
Agreed. And will add that the heavier the vehicle the more it wants to go in a straight line when turning.

I am more concerned about going than stopping. The last thing I want to do is to have to pay for a tow because I’m stuck somewhere. I see far more Subarus stuck on the side of the road compared to heavy SUV’s.

The clutch style AWD system is used in Subarus because it’s cheap to produce with less parasitic drive train losses. However, you have to experience wheel slippage for the power to go to the wheel with more traction first. This is a more reactive system than a direct system, thus I would have to argue it’s inferior. Have you ever seen those TFL videos where they take Subarus off road? They were banned from receiving loaner review cars because they showed how bad they were in low traction situations (especially the ones equipped with a CVT which further cut power to save the transmission from burning up).

I am more concerned about going than stopping. The last thing I want to do is to have to pay for a tow because I’m stuck somewhere. I see far more Subarus stuck on the side of the road compared to heavy SUV’s.

The clutch style AWD system is used in Subarus because it’s cheap to produce with less parasitic drive train losses. However, you have to experience wheel slippage for the power to go to the wheel with more traction first. This is a more reactive system than a direct system, thus I would have to argue it’s inferior. Have you ever seen those TFL videos where they take Subarus off road? They were banned from receiving loaner review cars because they showed how bad they were in low traction situations (especially the ones equipped with a CVT which further cut power to save the transmission from burning up).
On winter roads The Subaru also goes better then the 200. And you are arguing inferiority based on YouTube videos and theory? Not real world experience.

We are not talking about off roading, we are talking about winter driving on roads. The examples I’ve seen where Subarus lose traction is under articulation when 1-2 wheels are off the ground, and yes all vehicles with open diffs struggle there. I’ve yet to have even one wheel off the ground when driving on the road during the winter. My legacy is an older (2008) one without a CVT, I have no experience with CVT legacies.

If you want to greatly lessen your risk of going off the road and needing pulled out run a dedicated winter tire. Up my way almost every car/truck/van…. I see off the road in the winter (which are mostly pickups) are on bad winter tires: all seasons/ATs/…. Tires are more important on the winter roads than any drivetrain.

Knock on wood, 10 winters driving in Tahoe (where I grew up) and 15 winters driving in Alaska and I’ve never gotten stuck in any of my cars, many of them Subarus (1 loyal, 2 outbacks, 2 legacies, 2 sti (that had torsens)).

You probably see more Subarus stuck because there are way more Subarus on the road. I probably see 100 Subarus to every suburban and probably 1000 Subarus to every Land Cruiser. Or do the drivers of Subarus drive faster since they are more sure footed? Or you only notice the Subarus (observation bias)?

Last edited:
On winter roads The Subaru also goes better then the 200. And you are arguing inferiority based on YouTube videos and theory? Not real world experience.

We are not talking about off roading, we are talking about winter driving on roads. The examples I’ve seen where Subarus lose traction is under articulation when 1-2 wheels are off the ground, and yes all vehicles with open diffs struggle there. I’ve yet to have even one wheel off the ground when driving on the road during the winter. My legacy is an older (2008) one without a CVT, I have no experience with CVT legacies.

If you want to greatly lessen your risk of going off the road and needing pulled out run a dedicated winter tire. Up my way almost every car/truck/van…. I see off the road in the winter (which are mostly pickups) are on bad winter tires: all seasons/ATs/…. Tires are more important on the winter roads than any drivetrain.

Knock on wood, 10 winters driving in Tahoe (where I grew up) and 15 winters driving in Alaska and I’ve never gotten stuck in any of my cars, many of them Subarus (1 loyal, 2 outbacks, 2 legacies, 2 sti (that had torsens)).

You probably see more Subarus stuck because there are way more Subarus on the road. I probably see 100 Subarus to every suburban and probably 1000 Subarus to every Land Cruiser. Or do the drivers of Subarus drive faster since they are more sure footed? Or you only notice the Subarus (observation bias)?

I have never seen a car make it it to my house in the mountains where the road is not plowed and you’re running through 12-24 inches of snow. The 200 is better then my TRX and my 392 Rubicn going and stopping in the snow. Again, just my opinion and the 200 is way better than the LX.

For me it goes
I have an '13 LX570 and a '22 Audi Q5e Quattro. The Audi quatro is one of the best snow vehicles in the world. Both wear Nokian Hakkappalitta's in the winter (LT3 and R3 SUV respectively). They both hook up in the snow almost like it's dry. Both give me a supreme sense of security in dicey conditions and to have any fun at all I have to disable all the dynamic traction controls in both vehicles.

But I gotta say I reach for the Lexus 9/10 times when it's really bad.

The LX is much more sporty and high tech. Cornering in the LX is way better than the 200 series. The weight of the 200 series and the steering feeling is way more solid. I had BFG AT tire on both vehicles and the 200 is a mich more solid feeling vehicle in my opinion. This is only my opinion, I am sure there are many people that will disagree with me, but in the mountains with 1-2 ft of snow the 200 is hands down better to me.
This surprises me. I've driven the LX600 a few times and it feels even more quiet, planted, and powerful than my LX570.

I've considered a late model LC200 several times, mainly for the badge. But every time I drive an LC200 I'm disappointed by the noise level, acceleration, and overall quality feel coming from an LX570. Not that it's not a quality vehicle, we all know it is, but the extra insulation and refinement Lexus adds to the package makes it hard to go back.

🤔 not that either are sub-3 sec vehicles, but if anything.. the LC is a smidge quicker
The LC200 has slower throttle response, especially off the line. You have to put in a PedalCommander to get it to the same level.

The LC200 has slower throttle response, especially off the line. You have to put in a PedalCommander to get it to the same level.
Is it bc LX has "Sport" mode which remaps the throttle response?

but the extra insulation and refinement Lexus adds to the package makes it hard to go back.
I used to think this. That Lexus added lots more insulation in the LX over LC. But with recent thread about the actual weight of the AHC system, there is practically very little weight added to LX over LC if you take out the AHC weight. I bet that the only real difference is the double pane front windows.

Throttle response may not necessarily translate into quicker acceleration times. Perhaps we are talking about two different things.

The last 2 winters and the first part of this one our current administration has considered plowing in the mini optional. To eat figured it out mid this winter, and what do you know it is an election year…

Anyway we had a few 3+ foot storms that nothing was plowed in the city for a few days. On those days sure I drove the 200 over my normal daily driver (Tesla) due to risk of being high centered. Both my kids drove the MB and Subaru on those days as well and didn’t get stuck.

As for the TRX and 392 wrangler. I would expect both of them to be pretty lousy on winter roads especially if you are not running winter tires. Wanglers and Rams are not known to be good winter vehicles and add a ton of HP only makes things worse.

Well I just checked the value of my truck since last month and it actually went up by 3k from 92k to 95k. I say the market for the 200 it still pretty strong even though I’m never selling!

Is it bc LX has "Sport" mode which remaps the throttle response?
There's a thread that touches on the differences between the LX and LC.
Installed it today, and it works great. Greatly reduces the lag in throttle response and installed easily and quickly. I think it’s well worth the cost for the 16+ LC, but the 16+ LX already has a ton of adjustment with respect to drive modes so no need there.

I drive a '13 LX, and Sport mode only impacts suspension in that vehicle. To change my shift points there's a 'Power/ECT' switch. But even in normal drive mode I notice a huge difference when I go from my LX to test drive LC's (which are usually '18+ when I'm looking). The throttle in my LX is super sensitive/jumpy off the line, so much so that it scares my kids when they drive it. The 16+ LC has a very different demeanor in that realm. The two vehicles likely have approximately the same 0-60, or perhaps the LC makes it there slightly quicker due to lighter weight?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom