LC 200 Suspension Noise Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2016 LC200 with 95k miles stock suspension. Recently I've noticed a sound when pulling into my driveway. See attached a video.

This has happened several times. Entering my slightly elevated driveway turning right. I hit the passenger tire first and then the drivers tire. At which point I hear a metallic rubbing or squeaking sound. I've tried to backup and recreate it but it doesn't make the noise on the second time.

Maybe it's a dry shock tube or something? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Doesn’t seem to be any attachment. Are you at full lock when making the turn?

Check your sway bar end links

IMG_1796.JPG

Doesn’t seem to be any attachment. Are you at full lock when making the turn?
I'm struggling with uploading a pixel 8 video attachment.

Im actually not sure if I'm full lock or not. I can pay attention next time. It's a 90 degree turn so possibly am full lock

Am I checking for cracking in the bushing? Also, can I do this without removing them?
No need to remove them, just turn wheel full lock and look at front and back side.

@tbisaacs or @Sandroad were either of you able to watch the video to hear the sound?
Yup. Pretty loud metallic click. It does look like full lock and I wonder about something simple like the metal steering stops rubbing right when the suspension flexes. On my 80 a dab of grease on those stops made the noise go away.

@tbisaacs or @Sandroad were either of you able to watch the video to hear the sound?
Maybe? It’s hard for me to tell in the video. Mine was a definite “pop” and I could sometimes feel it in the steering wheel when it happened. Mine did NOT need to be at full lock. The turning and noise happening as you enter the garage which is a very slight incline looks similar though.

Whether mine was just a bad tie rod that the dealer didn’t see play in or an issue with the steering rack I can’t say but since my rack was leaking we did the whole thing not just the tie rod ends and it went away. I suspect I could have driven it for quite a while before it got really bad but on a 2000 mile trip is not when I want to sort out a problem.

Ok thats interesting since I also have always a heavy metallic like cracking sound when I fully turn in on slow speeds…. I always guessed it is something like a suspension at end of travel thing…..
But have this sound since years and never thought too much about it.

Ok thats interesting since I also have always a heavy metallic like cracking sound when I fully turn in on slow speeds…. I always guessed it is something like a suspension at end of travel thing…..
But have this sound since years and never thought too much about it.
Mine wasn’t at the end of travel - either suspension or turning. About 50% turned and any sort of bump is all it would take. At it was very consistent, happening every time I entered or exited my garage. I could occasionally hear it starting from a stop too. The noise is definitely gone now. That said I still get other noises from time to time, some of which I think is sold skid plates, 1mm clearance between the plates and the transfer case bash guards, BP51 bypass valves opening, and other noises. All of which make me feel like a basket case, but somehow feel normal.

Check your sway bar end links

View attachment 3586872
Well this is interesting. I appear to have a new one on the passenger side (non squeaking) and OEM on the driver side (squeaking). I didn't know this had been done. Bought car at 70k miles and driven the last 25k.

The bushing on the passenger side looks smaller than the driver's side.

PXL_20240321_140412448.jpg

PXL_20240321_140424731.jpg

PXL_20240321_140328129.jpg

PXL_20240321_140334850.jpg

Check your LCA cam tabs and lobes and torque. I’d wager money that’s what you’re hearing.

If You need to, go have all your front end bolts torque checked. It’s quick and easy with a lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom