Builds Oman -> SoCal 1995 FZJ75 Troopy (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maybe powder coat while you are doing this? You could have some fun with that!
I've never powder coated anything before, so might be something I outsource. I thought about just doing plasti-dip or spray painting them black. That way if they get scuffed up just quickly give them another shot of black.

Some maintenance and mod thoughts...

These trucks haven't seen much action once they end up in our hands. My experience with them is that you'll want to replace the clutch master/slave as well. When/if you start driving the truck regularly one or both will go south. While you're in there flush out the clutch fluid as well.

I recommend all brake and clutch soft lines be replaced as a PM item. While you're doing brakes and replacing soft lines just go ahead and flush all the old brake fluid out of your lines as well.

Battery... I've got Odyssey's in all three of my trucks now. (40, Troopy, and 4Runner) I'm a believer. I'd plan on putting some military lugs on the batter cables and possibly making your own new ground cables and starter cable. Depending on the condition of what's already in place.
Appreciate the advice! Where'd you get your clutch master/slave at? I assume partsouq will have the parts, but shipping tends to quickly increase the overall price.

I'm looking to put on a 2" lift eventually, do you know if there's a kit with longer brake lines? Hell, even regular lines for now and I can change them out again once I do the lift? I'll take a look at the clutch soft lines as well, can't wait to start digging into this thing!

Just to confuse things more, Dobinsons would be worth a look for the suspension.

Appreciate the advice! Where'd you get your clutch master/slave at? I assume partsouq will have the parts, but shipping tends to quickly increase the overall price.

I'm looking to put on a 2" lift eventually, do you know if there's a kit with longer brake lines? Hell, even regular lines for now and I can change them out again once I do the lift? I'll take a look at the clutch soft lines as well, can't wait to start digging into this thing!

I've used Partsouq and other sources to help me find the Aisin/Advics part number for clutch master and slave... and then I buy from Rockauto. Lots of crossover between my 1991 3F Troopy and an early 2F 60-series here in NA. I believe both my master and slave correspond to the 60-series.

Just to confuse things more, Dobinsons would be worth a look for the suspension.
I had started looking at Dobinsons but couldn't find a good US distributor for the 70 series. If their prices are comparable I'll definitely give them a look.

I've used Partsouq and other sources to help me find the Aisin/Advics part number for clutch master and slave... and then I buy from Rockauto. Lots of crossover between my 1991 3F Troopy and an early 2F 60-series here in NA. I believe both my master and slave correspond to the 60-series.
Definitely seems there is some crossover from the 1FZ-F and the early 80 series here in the US. Seems so far from my research that it's got some 60 series and 80 series parts. I've heard the brake booster on the 80 series here in the US is double baffled vs a single baffle on the 70 series for example.

I'll take a look at rockauto, got some good inspiration from your front disk brake rebuild, but need to compile a list of part numbers, etc.

I had started looking at Dobinsons but couldn't find a good US distributor for the 70 series. If their prices are comparable I'll definitely give them a look.
There's a US Dobinson warehouse in Florida. I've used them, been always good with standing behind the product.

I think @crikeymike is the man for Dobinsons?

Definitely seems there is some crossover from the 1FZ-F and the early 80 series here in the US. Seems so far from my research that it's got some 60 series and 80 series parts. I've heard the brake booster on the 80 series here in the US is double baffled vs a single baffle on the 70 series for example.

I'll take a look at rockauto, got some good inspiration from your front disk brake rebuild, but need to compile a list of part numbers, etc.
Yeah... there is good crossover on "commodity" items. I know my front brake calipers came from RockAuto as well... remanufactured 3rd-gen 4Runner I believe. Shoot me a text if you want any specific part numbers I'm using. I gotta imagine we have many of the same brake components.

Excited to follow your build! I'm hopefully about to start working on my own 1991 3F fj75 up in NorCal!
Where are you located in norcal? Seems to be several troopies on the west coast!

I'm looking to put on a 2" lift eventually, do you know if there's a kit with longer brake lines?

Don't need longer lines with a "kit" lift, they all (to the best of my knowlege) simply lift for higher ride height but no geometry changes to increase actual travel (droop) so even though your a bit taller your still within designed articulation limits.

I recommend all brake and clutch soft lines be replaced as a PM item. While you're doing brakes and replacing soft lines just go ahead and flush all the old brake fluid out of your lines as well.
Currently unable to find the following brake lines: Rear brake tube#2: 4732360420 and Front brake tube#5: 4731660331

Both are out of stock on partsouq and megazip.

Give Cruiserteq a shot, they usually have all that stuff in stock and ready to ship
They can probably tell you which ones to order that have enough length for your lift…

Currently unable to find the following brake lines: Rear brake tube#2: 4732360420 and Front brake tube#5: 4731660331

Both are out of stock on partsouq and megazip.

Hello,

It is possible that they are discontinued.

Try looking for 78 Series brake lines.

Juan

Troopy is currently moving through the Pacific en route to the Port of Los Angeles. Left Oman on 23 December, was offloaded in Singapore on 2 Jan. Now awaiting the next ship to take her from Singapore to LA. Hoping she's stateside by 1 February.

Question for the group: How were you able to get insurance prior to the vehicle arriving in the states? Just let your insurer know that you were bringing in a foreign vehicle?

Wouldn't you just wait till you get the truck? Get tags and insurance at the same time.

Since you're in CA, will this need any type of safety/emissions inspection?
While in Cali, as active duty military, I am able to register this vehicle in Oklahoma where I own a home. No inspection/emissions needed. Will probably try and get it registered here in Cali first though as it should be a boon to its potential resale value if I decide to move it one day.

Powder-coating is the way to go on those wheels.

Get a reference from some locals for a good shop. I've used several shops here in Boise over the years, but have a go-to place now. Had our 80 series wheels done a few years ago, think it cost me about $75/wheel. Well worth it considering how long it takes to prep them for paint, and paint them and the cost for materials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom