Builds Oman -> SoCal 1995 FZJ75 Troopy (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While in Cali, as active duty military, I am able to register this vehicle in Oklahoma where I own a home. No inspection/emissions needed. Will probably try and get it registered here in Cali first though as it should be a boon to its potential resale value if I decide to move it one day.
I don't know how you'd possible get it CA titled/licensed. I'd love to see someone prove this wrong...

i dont know enough about it, but once titled in another state couldnt it just be titled in Cal like any other car that wasnt originally sold there?

i dont know enough about it, but once titled in another state couldnt it just be titled in Cal like any other car that wasnt originally sold there?
It'll be more difficult with the gas engine and it'd need all the California smog equipment for a 95 1FZ-FE. They will want it smogged. Diesel, pre-98 may be doable. Gas, through the state ref, I wouldn't try unless I knew exactly all that's needed.

I'd register it to your home in OK then try CA.

I'd want this in the pickup form for the Colorado property with a Wits End turbo...that'd be a great ranch truck:cool:

It'll be more difficult with the gas engine and it'd need all the California smog equipment for a 95 1FZ-FE. They will want it smogged. Diesel, pre-98 may be doable. Gas, through the state ref, I wouldn't try unless I knew exactly all that's needed.

I'd register it to your home in OK then try CA.

I'd want this in the pickup form for the Colorado property with a Wits End turbo...that'd be a great ranch truck:cool:
This troopy has a 1FZ-F, running the carburetor. It is not electronic fuel injection. Since it's pre 96 and the OBDI-2, I may be able to skirt the smog testing.

I'll ask around in the local cruiser club to see what my options are. Option 1 currently is registering/title in Oklahoma.

my question about it was and is legitimate and i'm interested in how this plays out for ya.

in Californias infinite wisdom i can see them wanting the same year FZ-FE standard for emmissions, but i was also wondering where the 25 yr rule comes into play for California. if at all.

i am lucky in a sense because i can register darn near anything where i live, no inspection, no emissions its nice, i say in a sense because it means other people can register almost anything, and ive seen some scary arse s***e on the roads.

As another SoCal native with a 1FZ Troopy, its a no-go from all the conversations I've had with the officials. Issues are a plenty since the 1FZ-F was never sold in the US and thus there is not any version of a smog-legal 1FZ-F, even if you add parts. We fall squarely into the grey market import world, and stuff like the short vin will throw red flags.

Now, there is a really easy solve, you just take your car to one of the two labs, pay $10k+, wait a couple months and voila you get a fancy sticker that shows you're good to go.... Of course thats no fun cause those $$ can be spent on other sweet parts. The system is definitely made for the rich folks who want to bring in their odd exotics and its obvious when you go by the shop and see all the wild high dollar cars in the parking lot.

I will add, there are lots of threads that you can read stories of people sneaking through with a distracted DMV agent and thinking its easy, and you'll also find people who get sad letters from CARB a few months after they thought they beat the system. So YMMV but from my research and actually spending a bit of time reading the law, you're options are out of state, or get it modded and certed by the lab. Would love to be wrong but this is why my truck is registered in AZ.

As another SoCal native with a 1FZ Troopy, its a no-go from all the conversations I've had with the officials. Issues are a plenty since the 1FZ-F was never sold in the US and thus there is not any version of a smog-legal 1FZ-F, even if you add parts. We fall squarely into the grey market import world, and stuff like the short vin will throw red flags.

Now, there is a really easy solve, you just take your car to one of the two labs, pay $10k+, wait a couple months and voila you get a fancy sticker that shows you're good to go.... Of course thats no fun cause those $$ can be spent on other sweet parts. The system is definitely made for the rich folks who want to bring in their odd exotics and its obvious when you go by the shop and see all the wild high dollar cars in the parking lot.

I will add, there are lots of threads that you can read stories of people sneaking through with a distracted DMV agent and thinking its easy, and you'll also find people who get sad letters from CARB a few months after they thought they beat the system. So YMMV but from my research and actually spending a bit of time reading the law, you're options are out of state, or get it modded and certed by the lab. Would love to be wrong but this is why my truck is registered in AZ.
Good to know. I'll just register in another state. Makes things easier to know this.

I don't know how you'd possible get it CA titled/licensed. I'd love to see someone prove this wrong...
here you go sir. 96' 1HZ
IMG_1641.jpg

I've heard even after 6 months of waiting and spending $10k on labs, you still have a great chance of not passing the inspection or getting refused by the inspector.

@Honger is 100% correct.

Hours have been spent familiarizing myself with the regs, not fun and gas would be very difficult and expensive. Diesel is very doable. But at this point is a roll of the dice, with the odds getting worse.

Now let's hear some more about this Troopy!

@Honger is 100% correct.

Hours have been spent familiarizing myself with the regs, not fun and gas would be very difficult and expensive. Diesel is very doable. But at this point is a roll of the dice, with the odds getting worse.

Now let's hear some more about this Troopy!
She's currently slated to land stateside on 1 Feb! Videos, pics, more to come once it's here on the ground.

Not sure how I missed this thread earlier. Congratulations; nice looking Troopy. I shipped an FZJ75 pickup and an FJ45 Troopy back from Saudi last year and container shipping was at least 4x RORO. Hopefully prices were more reasonable for your shipment.

Not sure how I missed this thread earlier. Congratulations; nice looking Troopy. I shipped an FZJ75 pickup and an FJ45 Troopy back from Saudi last year and container shipping was at least 4x RORO. Hopefully prices were more reasonable for your shipment.
Container shipping was expensive, but was told that there wasn't any RORO shipping going from Oman to the west coast anytime soon. Maybe I got played, but still happy with my overall purchase price and shipping cost.

I may have put the cart before the horse, but ordered up 5 of the EvoCorse Dakar Zero wheels today. 16x7 ET: -10.

Bought direct from Italy as no US dealers had stock. Planning to put 255/85R16 Falken Wildpeak M/Ts on the wheels.

Now I just need to figure out how to add the rear OEM tire carrier.

53F5729A-7665-4435-B044-B20FF708EBD9.jpeg

You would need to change the entire door to have the proper reinforcements.
It's the issue with those Omanese school buses, they are very bare bone regarding options/spec.
Same with the 80 series trucks with the factory swing-away rear tire carrier. There is a reinforcing plate in the right hand side D pillar that the carrier bolts into. I agree; probably the best option is a bumper-mounted AUS aftermarket carrier.
70s_1024x1024.jpg

Same with the 80 series trucks with the factory swing-away rear tire carrier. There is a reinforcing plate in the right hand side D pillar that the carrier bolts into. I agree; probably the best option is a bumper-mounted AUS aftermarket carrier.
70s_1024x1024.jpg

If you decide you want to go the bumper/tire carrier route @Bogan has a very good one for sale in the classifieds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom