Builds Ole Blue 60 gets a fresh start- EFI and more (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1500 mile update.

I’m still 100% in love with this new AFI System.

The drivability is so much better it’s hard to explain. The 60 effortlessly cruises 70 mph. Mileage is still mid 12s to 13 which is fine with me.

I’ve just had to snug up my header collector and one fuel hose clamp. Other than that it’s been all driving and no wrenching.

D0E6E791-F7EE-46C6-8B39-E5F2AF130D6A.jpeg

Very nice! Do you feel like the system has done as much "learning" as it will do and now it is just pure driving?
Anything that you would have done differently now that you have it installed and been running for a bit?

Very nice! Do you feel like the system has done as much "learning" as it will do and now it is just pure driving?
Anything that you would have done differently now that you have it installed and been running for a bit?

No. It’s a simple computer. It did all it’s leaning early I’d guess. Seems the same.

Different? No. It’s right. No corners were cut. All good.

I don’t think it was mentioned, but AFI supplies an AC lead that accepts a signal from the AC to raise the idle when the compressor clutch engages.

We spliced it in to the AC clutch wire, and sure enough, the RPMs increase as the AC compressor cycles.

So no loss of function vs. the factory carb setup.

Also worth noting - Blue saved the life of a 40 through the organ donor program. The 40 had fallen victim to an ace crackhead mechanic that rebuilt its cracked head (but didn’t fully fix the crack), put the head gasket on backwards (so there was no oil flow), and then left the valves so loose that a pushrod was able to jump track and get mangled.

805DFE42-B700-4E0A-8CCC-FF72B8674259.png

Blue’s head was rebuilt (with the better valves & springs from the 40), and assembled w/Blue’s pushrods & rocker assembly.

817E484F-FDB9-4F34-BCCC-6ECF69A95B7B.jpeg

A33709BD-2BEB-4D15-BE56-C138B03B95F6.jpeg

Successful head transplant!

Yes. The new Racer65 carb that was purchased before the dead motor was pulled. The recurved Dizzy with mega pimp OEM cover also made its way to that project.

The block was also flipped and made into a pimp checker board on the porch of Tilda Bogue Full Service

E5669619-5097-425B-9A7C-7B66A3C707A6.jpeg

I’m pleased to announce that, due to the high level of component re-use and recycling, this project has achieved the LEED Platinum award from the US Green Building Council for our excellence in Automotive Sustainability!

8B3CDBA1-DDEE-402C-ACB4-FA56721661DA.png

Bit of late notice, but "CyberMonday" is a 25% off coupon code for AFI. Had a kit in my cart all day, trying really hard not to spend the cash. Pile of other things need to be addressed first.

there simply is no comparison to carburetion

Your willingness to get in the old truck when the new one has problems is very much the same between both of us.

I don't doubt the reliability at all, just as long as I know I can take longer to get there.

Yeah think this is going to be on the list for mods next year. BeBe is going to be getting a new rad real quick here and with her having a harder time on these frigid mornings to start and warm up, well figuring this may help things. Plus the 7-9mpg around town just hurts to see.

Yeah. My friends don’t mind going 60-65

I could for sure push it harder I just choose not to. I’m sure my 2F could care less going between the 2500 rpm I keep it at it 2900 at 70+

I need to change out my charcoal canister. That is the only hiccup right now. It will puke some gas after a long hard drive.

I got 12 mpg on the road and 10 mpg on the 100 miles off road. That is mileage corrected. All about the same as the 100 and 80. The 4Runner burned way less fuel.

I had the check engine light come on 2 times for about 5 seconds. I’ll paper clip test it and see what that was.

It ran the same so who knows.

16556C61-2616-4BA0-9696-DE111BCCA8F1.jpeg

My trip was run with most of the time at 2800-3000. It didn’t care and didn’t overheat. I think it’s more a mental roadblock than a mechanical limit.

If i think how many cycles are on my motor, that is when the math gets scary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom