Nothing is normal about this 45 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'day all , I'm a new member so I hope I've posted this build in the correct thread category.
I've always loved 40/45series and a few years back acquired a 1972 fj40 ( for free). It was completely rusted other than the doors and chassis.
So, with no mechanical experience, limited four wheel driving experience and no financial support from my wife, I decided to build myself a vintage landcruiser.
I set myself some goals... it has to be a ute , it has to have a shorter wheelbase , it has to be a 4 cylinder diesel , it has to be covered in dune bage
and most importantly of all.. it must be done without spending any money.
So I got to work, I completely stripped the forty and sold every usable part except the chassis and the doors. I used the money I made from the shorty to buy my uncle's clapped out hj47 farm truck which I also stripped and sold including a quite healthy 2h and 5speed box .
So I started my very own wrecking business all to finance my project and picking a few parts up as I go.
I'm building a shortened fj45 out of bits and pieces, nothing is standard or normal, so without further ado, I'll walk you all through the build.
20180320_151639.jpg

The shorty chassis sandblasted and 450mm added.
IMG_20180315_164816.jpg

the tub I bought off an old farmer . It's an early model that has been hot dipped galvanized!
So no rust ever!
IMG_20180329_120509.jpg

you can see where I made the chassis extension, obviously all cab mounts where all moved and modified to allow for the fj45 cab.
20180403_163528.jpg

the moment of truth.... if my calculations and measurements are actually going to work?

Last edited:
Solution
The engine and box just fit !
Any further forward and I wouldn't fit fan and radiator, any further back and the auto shifter would become impracticable for use.
The truck has almost become a mid engine, with majority of the vehicles weight central between the wheels.
The front drive shaft is approximately 300mm longer than the tail shaft.
After working out the correct length I modified part of the surfs drive shaft to the cruisers .
Eventually both tail and drive shafts will need to be balanced.
As most of you would have noticed I didn't include a catalytic converter, in fact most of this build wouldn't be technically legal for Australian road use.
I'm sure I'll will have to commit some degrading act to ever get this thing on the road! ..lol
I will cross this bridge when it comes.

Yeah that's what I'm worried about with this build. What state do you live in??

The spring over, power steering, engine swap would all have to be engineered in Vic. My understanding was spring overs were nearly impossible to get certified.
But I could be completely wrong, im just going off stuff I've read in the past.

Yeah that's what I'm worried about with this build. What state do you live in??

The spring over, power steering, engine swap would all have to be engineered in Vic. My understanding was spring overs were nearly impossible to get certified.
But I could be completely wrong, im just going off stuff I've read in the past.
You're correct plink , the spring over is very naughty !
However there's a way around every situation in life , and getting this abomination on the road is no different.
It's not what you know, but rather WHO you know...

20200927_181204.jpg
so.. with room in front of the engine in short supply, the standard fan from the 1kz had to go. A thermo will do the job. I scored this alloy radiator with the surf , its significantly taller than a standard 40 series , but with some perseverance I managed to make it work.
20200927_181310.jpg

I fabricated some custom radiator support brackets which surprisingly work quite well , and it all fits snug between chassis rails.
The brackets are drilled and tapped to the inside of the chassis rails.
Stainless steel bolts and big rubber grommets secure the radiator.
The rubber grommets are actually door stops but they fit on the half inch bolts so well

You're correct plink , the spring over is very naughty !
However there's a way around every situation in life , and getting this abomination on the road is no different.
It's not what you know, but rather WHO you know...

Haha yup im definitely aware of that! I've taken my cars to roadworthies and have been given 2 pages worth of defects. Then take it down the road and try and different mechanic and he has says its all good.

I love ya work mate, keep it up!

I had my mind set on a top mount intercooler, for a few reasons.... I don't like the idea of a front mount on a 4x4 , getting filled up with mud , damaged by sticks ect...
But the main reason for wanting a top mount is the lack of room !
I could only just fit my radiator.
So a top mount needs air , and I can tell you all there was NO WAY I was going to cut some ugly scoop in the top of my perfect 1969 two piece bonnet!!!!!

So what to do ?
I toyed around with an idea of a duct system that the air could travel through the gap between bonnet and the front panel.
But I was told by a few people ( with a vast knowledge of such things) that my duction idea is crap!
And that I should rethink my life and move my radiator and make room for a front mount.

20201124_143227.jpg
so I moved everything !
Removing the aircon compressor gave me about 40mm more room ( didn't need that anyway)
Change my radiator mounting set up to be more streamlined.
And there we are......after hours of re-work
I managed to gain approximately 65mm more room....

Well ,without going into a big debate about front mounts being better than top mounts , I'm glad that I eventually went with a front mount.
1KZ-TE 'S have a bit of a reputation of head issues due to heat .
(But that's just what I've been told)
So there's no denying that my intake temperatures will benefit from my decision.

I had my mind set on a top mount intercooler, for a few reasons.... I don't like the idea of a front mount on a 4x4 , getting filled up with mud , damaged by sticks ect...
But the main reason for wanting a top mount is the lack of room !
I could only just fit my radiator.
So a top mount needs air , and I can tell you all there was NO WAY I was going to cut some ugly scoop in the top of my perfect 1969 two piece bonnet!!!!!
You could always get a newer bonnet and do this. I think he got the scoop from a 70 series and put it on his 40

B8A9B14C-0CEB-4D59-A7A1-B39C5F14FDF5.jpeg

AFAD2B2E-7E44-4C71-A6FB-9B1D7EB93E6B.png

A6E7D69F-41F9-40BE-8116-65C91A156D0F.png

20201224_173646.jpg

I mounted the intercooler on a cross member between the two radiator supports.
The hot side is welded alloy 2 and 3/4 inch which is the same as the turbo output.
Cold side is also 2 and 3/4 inch ally . I use the standard throttle body intake flange and fabricated my plumbing to it.
Then more heat wrap, I remembered gloves this time.

20201224_174015.jpg

So this is where I'm up to !
There will be no more progress until I get more time. ( which could be a long time, Rome wasn't built in a day , nor will this truck).

All my pannels are painted and wrapped up in storage awaiting assembly.
All my pannels are steel except my roof which is also painted in dune bage ,not white ( just something different)
My doors are from the original shorty , with the old school door handles and corner glass.
My binzel is painted satin black , when it comes time to assemble this I will ask you all which way up it goes? ....... just kidding I know.
My bonnet is an 1969 two piece ( very nostalgic)
I have a very old set of round mirrors also in satin black.
My front windscreen panel is actually from an 84 model hj47 .
Side steps and rear glass pannel is from an 1976 hj45.

Probably my next step would be trans cooler, battery box, then interior and pedal assembly.

Some of you may have noticed that the original rear diff is still present.
Obviously this needs to be changed to a centered diff to matchup with the auto.
It needs to match the 4:11 ratio of the front.
A patrol diff is too wide, I possibly may use the surfs diff but I'm not 100% sure on the ratio.
I will cross this bridge when I get to it.

BUT the biggest bridge to cross is the wiring harness!
Yuck !!

Somethings that I recommend to anyone attempting a build....

Take plenty of photos . and not just on the build, but also when you dismantle ( so you remember )

Be organized. mark on containers what's in them.
Have separate containers for different components ect...

20210708_170959.jpg
20210708_171011.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom