Nothing is normal about this 45 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'day all , I'm a new member so I hope I've posted this build in the correct thread category.
I've always loved 40/45series and a few years back acquired a 1972 fj40 ( for free). It was completely rusted other than the doors and chassis.
So, with no mechanical experience, limited four wheel driving experience and no financial support from my wife, I decided to build myself a vintage landcruiser.
I set myself some goals... it has to be a ute , it has to have a shorter wheelbase , it has to be a 4 cylinder diesel , it has to be covered in dune bage
and most importantly of all.. it must be done without spending any money.
So I got to work, I completely stripped the forty and sold every usable part except the chassis and the doors. I used the money I made from the shorty to buy my uncle's clapped out hj47 farm truck which I also stripped and sold including a quite healthy 2h and 5speed box .
So I started my very own wrecking business all to finance my project and picking a few parts up as I go.
I'm building a shortened fj45 out of bits and pieces, nothing is standard or normal, so without further ado, I'll walk you all through the build.
20180320_151639.jpg

The shorty chassis sandblasted and 450mm added.
IMG_20180315_164816.jpg

the tub I bought off an old farmer . It's an early model that has been hot dipped galvanized!
So no rust ever!
IMG_20180329_120509.jpg

you can see where I made the chassis extension, obviously all cab mounts where all moved and modified to allow for the fj45 cab.
20180403_163528.jpg

the moment of truth.... if my calculations and measurements are actually going to work?

Last edited:
Solution
The engine and box just fit !
Any further forward and I wouldn't fit fan and radiator, any further back and the auto shifter would become impracticable for use.
The truck has almost become a mid engine, with majority of the vehicles weight central between the wheels.
The front drive shaft is approximately 300mm longer than the tail shaft.
After working out the correct length I modified part of the surfs drive shaft to the cruisers .
Eventually both tail and drive shafts will need to be balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom