Builds Not your average build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Reset the perches on the 6112 to the 5 notch and the truck sits back at 1.5" over stock height.

Installed the Ironman4x4 forged upper control arms. Nice units with additional caster built in to make alignments easier and handling correct.

IMG_20191231_101401.jpg

Last edited:
Started the dual battery setup today. Got the Redarc smart isolator mounted in front of the battery. I don't do self tapping screws into body sheet metal so it took a bit of time to get it drilled and nutserts put in.
IMG_20191229_125901.jpg

I started making a power tray of sorts out of a 1/2" thick piece of HDPE that clamps down in top of the battery with factory hold down. Not sure if I'm 100% happy with it. I need to mount a 100 amp mega fuse holder (isolator/jump start), and two 40 amp mega fuse holders (Redarc BCDC/Trailer power) so space is a bit tight.

IMG_20191231_155807.jpg

I've also got a Hella style manual battery cutoff switch mounted for the winch that I may swap out for a 200 amp relay that can be controlled by a switch panel.

I still need to make a final decision on tires, right now I'm thinking 265/70/18 but I really want to avoid lifting the truck any higher to avoid tire rub.

Last edited:
@Gx460sd where the secondary air pump is currently. I'm working on relocating the pump or considering deleting it completely.

Started the dual battery setup today. Got the Redarc smart isolator mounted in front of the battery. I don't do self tapping screws into body sheet metal so it took a bit of time to get it drilled and nutserts put in.
View attachment 2168949
I started making a power tray of sorts out of a 1/2" thick piece of HDPE that clamps down in top of the battery with factory hold down. Not sure if I'm 100% happy with it. I need to mount a 100 amp mega fuse holder (isolator/jump start), and two 40 amp mega fuse holders (Redarc BCDC/Trailer power) so space is a bit tight.

View attachment 2170235

I've also got a Hella style manual battery cutoff switch mounted for the winch that I may swap out for a 200 amp relay that can be controlled by a switch panel.

I still need to make a final decision on tires, right now I'm thinking 265/70/18 but I really want to avoid lifting the truck any higher to avoid tire rub.
Can you take some photos of your entire engine bay to show the setup in relation to the rest of your engine compartment?

@r2m I've already disassembled it as I found a few other distribution blocks I want to try to cut down the clutter.

Here's the current pic with the wheels and tires installed
IMG_20200103_163129.jpg

Finally replaced the front and rear pads and rotors. I've used the EBC truck yellows a few times and have been really happy with their performance. Yes they dust a little more than factory pads but it's worth it.

I went with the non slotted EBC rotors as the slots and dimples aren't needed for street use.

I'll flush out the brake system with Motul this weekend.

IMG_20200108_195416_449.jpg

@r2m here is the second idea for the power distribution. Much cleaner and more compact
IMG_20200113_143147_481.jpg

IMG_20200113_125221.jpg

I think this will be the setup I am going to run. I need to finish up the cabling and trim up the HDPE mounting plate and it's good.

@r2m here is the second idea for the power distribution. Much cleaner and more compact
View attachment 2181944
View attachment 2181946
I think this will be the setup I am going to run. I need to finish up the cabling and trim up the HDPE mounting plate and it's good.
So as I'm looking at it, the small photo is your "house" battery, passenger, front and the "start" battery is the large photo on top?
When you get a chance, can you take a pic of the entire engine bay?

@r2m I don't have my aux battery in yet, this is on top of my main starting battery

I installed the second ARB drawer today, pretty impressed with the quality and the fitment. Still waiting on the trim kit
IMG_20200114_191913_722.jpg

Playing with mounting my Redarc dual battery gauge. This is a basic Autometer gauge plate tweaked for a bit more angle and drilled for the programming switch. (wires are coiled up till mounting is permanent)

I don't like a lot of clutter in the cabin, nor do I like things stolen so it's going in the front cubby. It has an a audible alarm if things go south so I don't have to see it all the time. One nice feature is the optional ammeter so you can monitor actual alternator output
IMG_20200120_153949.jpg

When I added my additional power ports in the rear of my rig, my USB/12 VDC cigarette lighter socket came with a volt meter. Since I'd only be reading it when I'm using it, makes sense to have it back there with the sockets.
You can see how it's set up on my build thread here: Builds - R2M 2013 GX460 Overland Build

@r2m It's funny you say that, I just ordered 2 of the QC3.0 usb sockets for the front (taking out the factory cig socket) and rear and didn't even think to put one back there. Looks like another amazon return for me lol

@r2m It's funny you say that, I just ordered 2 of the QC3.0 usb sockets for the front (taking out the factory cig socket) and rear and didn't even think to put one back there. Looks like another amazon return for me lol
Also on my build thread check out the dual lighted USB ports I added on the back of my center console for the mid seat passengers!
My daughter really likes them so she can use her phone on long trips and keep it charging the entire time.

@r2m no passengers for me, but I'll add it to the list just incase

I finally sat down and figured out how to keep my secondary air injection while installing my auxillary battery.
I used the Shrock works T4R battery tray because it had the bracket for the PS reservoir and a tab to mount the A/C line.
The tray bolts in without issue
I needed to take about an inch off both PS hoses so they didn't rub up against the upper hose/thermostat housing.
There's a pressed in stud for the A/C with a p-clip to hold the line. I tapped out the stud and and drilled out the hole to fit the factory rubber isolator off of the original line bracket. I did this to provide better vibration isolation and to raise the line up a little higher to keep it's lower section from rubbing on the lower radiator hose.

I had to bend the tab on the original line holder down to clear the battery.
IMG_20200125_165520.jpg

I've also trimmed the plastic upper shield for a few reasons. I wanted easy access to the battery, the coolant overflow bottle, and the radiator cap. This makes it easier to maintain and service the truck.

Now for the fun part, the air pump relocation.
It wasn't as bad as I was expecting.
I fed the stock wiring into the area under the RH headlight and unclipped the two clips on the pump wiring so I had as much slack as possible.
I unbolted the factory Tee and flipped it on top of the bracket it was bolted to do it gave the hose clearance around the repositioned PS reservoir.
After I routed the factory hose around the front of the battery I took a 5/8 heater hose connector and about 12" of hose and ran that under the RH headlight also.
IMG_20200125_163325.jpg

Now I had my wiring and plumbing up under the headlight I figured out a nice spot for the pump and and set some rivnuts and secured the pump. I might make a little snorkle for the pump?
IMG_20200125_163258.jpg

Now that that's all done I can finish wiring up the Redarc Charger and start to get power wired up to the rear

Very well thought out taking into account connections, components rubbing, etc. Are you an engineer?? That's something I usually do when thinking out a design/project.
Again, nice job!

Very well thought out taking into account connections, components rubbing, etc. Are you an engineer?? That's something I usually do when thinking out a design/project.
Again, nice job!

Didn't quite finish the mechanical engineering degree but years of racing and working with engineers most of my career as a technician taught me that little extra precaution goes a long way.

IMG_20200127_163127.jpg

Worked on finishing up the Redarc BCDC today. Waiting on my Deutsch connectors to come in for the small gauge wires. The Kaon mount made positioning it easy as it gets

Last edited:
I had a request for the wiring diagram for my setup over on the GXOR FB page so I figured I'd post it here also.
GX Wiring Diagram.jpg

I haven't decided on a light switch panel yet as I only have my PIAA RF-6 on the front and they provide enough light for what I need.
The MIDI fuse holders I use can be found HERE and the power distribution block can be found HERE
The SBI12 and 1225D BCDC from RedArc can be found HERE
The Odyssey Batteries can be found HERE and HERE
The Hella Battery Cutoff Switch can be found HERE
The HPDE that I made the tray out of can be found HERE
The battery isolator jump switch I use can be found HERE
50A Anderson plugs can be found HERE (Use the real APP units not the Chinese knock offs)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom