Builds Not your average build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Mine probably won't be the average build as I focus is on keeping the on-road manners (where we spend 99% of our time) and focusing comfort, range, and towing so i figured I'd document the build.

Goals-

Comfort- I'm getting to be an old man so comfort is king and I affectionately refer to the GX as the "Rolling Couch" as the factory ride quality is great. I will be working with spring rates on the 6112's to keep that ride along with the TRD Pro rears who's valving I like a touch better than off the shelf 5160's. Lift height will not be more than 2" over all. Also there will be no roof rack simply because I do not want the noise and there's no good way to get crap on or off of it.

Range- As we all know the GX is not known for it's fuel economy. I have done the usual AFE Dry filter, Iridium plugs and removed the charcol pad from the upper air box (debate not needed) to help within the the confines of what can be done on a stock engine. I also pulled the injectors and had them cleaned which after seeing the numbers they needed it badly. I also installed 2 new Denso front O2 sensors. I've gone from 12mpg to about 14mpg average. There will be some additional work / parts involved in maximizing the range to the truck.

Towing- I know this one will leave a lot of people scratching their heads. I tow a lot. I tow cars, I tow campers, I tow cargo. I tow on average 3-4 times a month so this needs to remain a big priority. Equipment selection and accessories needed are all in the plan.

Currently status:
2011 GX460 Base 116k miles
All Fluids changed with Motul / Ravenol
Bilstein 6112 Front Shocks set on #5 both sides (1.5" lift, I have uprated 500lb springs new in the box)
TRD PRO (5160's) Rear shocks / Stock springs
Prado Chop on the running boards
Odyssey 34R-PC1500T Main/ 34-PC1500T AUX
265/70/18 General Grabber AT2
Raceline 946 Boost 18x9 Gunmetal
EBC Yellow Pads and standard rotors
aFe Dry Air Filter
Ironman4x4 classic front bumper
PIAA Yellow Ion RF6 lights with covers (SAE/DOT legal)
Kaymar Rear bumper with all options (Arial mount, hi-lift mount, work light, double jerry can holders)
Ironman4x4 Steel skid plates
Ironman4x4 HD recovery points
Ironman4x4 Forged Upper Control Arms (Built in 4 degree caster increase)
Comeup DV-9s 9k winch
Factor 55 Fairlead and Flatlink
Kaon- Tailgate table, BCDC Charger bracket, Support brace bolt guards
Redarc 1225D BCDC Battery Charger w/ Solar Input
Redarc Tow Pro Elite trailer brake controller
Redarc SBI12 Battery Isolator
Redarc Dual battery gauge with Amps
Switched Rear power wiring with 30A Anderson Connectors
AU style 50A Anderson plug for trailer charging.
ARB Drawers (RF945/RD945) w/ Mac tiedowns on roller floor for fridge. (ARB Classic fridge available for additional $$)
Shrocworks T4R dual battery tray
Custom Secondary Air pump relocation
Custom Rear mounted / Quick release fire extinguisher

IMG_20191207_164640_001.jpg

Currently on left to install

Kaymar (LRA supplied) - Rear bar with spare holder and jerry can holder

LRA- Sub Tank for spare tire location (waiting for final versions to be tested)

Things I'm still figuring out:
Side steps- Still looking at all the options
Switch panel - not even sure if I need one at this point?

I'll update this as the build progresses.

Last edited:
I really like your build plans. It sounds similar to what’s been circling in my mind so I’m eager to watch it unfold. I’m curious to see how your suspension will evolve with the added weight. My GX only has 10k miles on it so I have time before thinking about a suspension swap.

What size LRA tank are you thinking?

I have 3 different sets of front springs available to me at the moment so dealing with the weight shouldn't be too bad. I also have a set of the TRD Pro front struts in a box if I need to have them custom valved.

I was talking with Ward today at LRA and right now they're just prototypes for fitment check so I'll have to wait and see what the final size is.

IMG_20191217_141448.jpg

Ironman 4x4 recovery points arrived today along with a bunch of other goodies.
They are beefy! I like the fact they are not dependant on 2 bolts on a single plane.

IMG_20191218_123545.jpg

Picked up a little something for the GX and the trailer today :eek:

Reactions: xlx
@Gx460sd It's not hard just a bit of a tight spot. If of you remove the small splash guard in the rear of the wheel well you can see them easily.

Ironman 4x4 recovery points arrived today along with a bunch of other goodies.
They are beefy! I like the fact they are not dependant on 2 bolts on a single plane.
Are these for the Prado 150? I didn't see GX460 specific one's. Thanks.

Last edited:
IMG_20191220_162058.jpg
IMG_20191220_162102.jpg
IMG_20191220_162115.jpg

So the build continues, Kaon tail gate table installed but I think I want a wood insert for it?
And messing around with a ARB RF945 for the cargo area build.

I need a tailgate table too, slick. No wheel pics yet?

Not yet, finishing up all the misc before I make it any higher lol

IMG_20191221_165933.jpg
IMG_20191221_130244.jpg
IMG_20191221_125945.jpg

Redarc Tow Pro Elite installed today using the Tekonsha Toyota harness, 3M adhesive lined shrinking connectors.

@Ol Yeller you just push the button in. It has a pulse style emergency to keep the trailer stable

Here's the wheel pic, probably get them installed next week
IMG_20191221_170851.jpg

IMG_20191223_152745.jpg

Front bumper, recovery points, and skid plates installed.

A few pointers:
Bumper: The cutting template for the bumper cover is all wrong. You'll have to measure and cut. The cut cover sits on top of the bumper not behind it.

Recovery points: They are a tight fit and you'll have to move the power steering cooler lines out of the way.

I did this by flattening the stock cooler line mounting bracket and cutting the locating tab off of it. Then you can give the line a push inward and it'll clear the recovery point.
IMG_20191222_111933.jpg

I also shaved the stock frame horn plate to make sure the recovery point sat flush with it.

I also unbolted the radiator (4 bolts) and ran the long bolt from the inside to the outside because it's too long to go the other way. I did the same with the bolts in the lower tab. Yes I did not put a washer on the side bolt, there wasn't enough clearance and there's more than enough support from the other hardware.
IMG_20191222_111939.jpg

I did have to shave down about 3mm off the factory RH support bracket mounting plate to get the recovery point to sit flat.

So there are 4 bolts holding them and if you do their bumper it adds another 4 bolts, much stronger than a plate with 2 bolts on the side of a frame rail.
IMG_20191222_122720_01.jpg

(Pic during assembly)

Skid plates: I rolled the dice here because it says on the website "not for KDSS". I figured I'd have to remove the lower brace and maybe trim the sides like a TRD Pro unit.

Well the unit is actually designed for a KDSS vehicle. It's a direct bolt on with no modifications. It was a good laugh because the illustrations in the instructions were of a KDSS truck. (I've informed Ironman4x4 America)

That brings me to the one oops with them. The front mounting bracket covers a hole needed for the RH recovery point. It's only takes a slight trim to get the clearance needed.

Over all fitment was decent, quality was good, final appearance looks good. Instructions leave a lot to be desired.

@Mena661 It's a Redarc part # TPSI-002

Bolted in the Comeup DV-9s and wired the Ironman fogs to work with the factory wiring using H11 female plugs on the fogs I ordered from Amazon.

Waiting on my order from Factor 55 to install the fairlead and Flatlink-E. After that it's off to find a parking lot with concrete light pole bases to put the initial tension in the synthetic line (very important you do this with synthetic line!).

I need to raise the perches on the 6112's as I'm back to stock height in the front now.

Rain came in too fast to take pics, I'll snap a few tomorrow if it lets up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom