Normal boost psi with supercharger? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I installed a boost gauge just to see how much boost my truck is making. I only see maybe 2-3 psi and 4.5 psi in higher rpms with heavier throttle. Does it seem normal?

Last edited:
I installed a boost gauge just to see how much boost my truck is making. I only see maybe 2-3 psi and 4.5 psi in higher rpms with heavier throttle. Does it seem normal?
What altitude are you at?

Early or late TRD? Pulley size on S/C? Used vs new or rebuilt S/C? Mileage/health of your engine?
Lots of variables. I would see 6-7 in upper RPM range on prior engine during its 110k to 210k life with S/C (with stock pulley).

Early or late TRD? Pulley size on S/C? Used vs new or rebuilt S/C? Mileage/health of your engine?
Lots of variables. I would see 6-7 in upper RPM range on prior engine during its 110k to 210k life with S/C (with stock pulley).

Not sure if its old or late. Standard pulley. Got it rebuilt by jon bond. Healthy engine, 169k miles. Uploaded a video

In 2010 I bought a 97 80 series that had a Kazuma S C installed by Robby while at Slees shop. It had around 50k miles on it. I added a combo vacuum/boost gauge. The most boost I got at 5000 rpm was 6#. Later I swapped on a 2.8" pulley on the compressor. Now I get about 8# maxed out. That 2# increase made a small increase in power according to my butt meter and my;) wallet. I have also swapped in Landtanks MAF and Injector kit. Once I get past 3000 rpm it feels like it wants to go right on past 6000, maybe higher. I have had some other kinds of motors that ran way up there. I don't let it go past 5000 because I really like it and I don't want to risk damage at 267,000 miles, all original. Twice, in an emergency,I have run it out past 115 mph. It might of gone faster, but I chickened out. I started thinking about how fast my driveshafts were spinning with 4.88s over 37s, which is about stock. I have thought about moving down to a 2.6" drive pulley for more boost, but FOR ME, I do not see a USABLE benefit. I DO have a full set of high and low range tranfercase gears waiting to be installed. Theory has it that it WILL make a noticeable improvement.

In 2010 I bought a 97 80 series that had a Kazuma S C installed by Robby while at Slees shop. It had around 50k miles on it. I added a combo vacuum/boost gauge. The most boost I got at 5000 rpm was 6#. Later I swapped on a 2.8" pulley on the compressor. Now I get about 8# maxed out. That 2# increase made a small increase in power according to my butt meter and my;) wallet. I have also swapped in Landtanks MAF and Injector kit. Once I get past 3000 rpm it feels like it wants to go right on past 6000, maybe higher. I have had some other kinds of motors that ran way up there. I don't let it go past 5000 because I really like it and I don't want to risk damage at 267,000 miles, all original. Twice, in an emergency,I have run it out past 115 mph. It might of gone faster, but I chickened out. I started thinking about how fast my driveshafts were spinning with 4.88s over 37s, which is about stock. I have thought about moving down to a 2.6" drive pulley for more boost, but FOR ME, I do not see a USABLE benefit. I DO have a full set of high and low range tranfercase gears waiting to be installed. Theory has it that it WILL make a noticeable improvement.
Other than a boost gauge, what other gauges do you have?

I have 4.88's and 35's and while I like the power from the SC, I would prefer more. I'm not sure where my limitation is at the moment.

Other than a boost gauge, what other gauges do you have?

I have 4.88's and 35's and while I like the power from the SC, I would prefer more. I'm not sure where my limitation is at the moment.
It came with an EGT gauge. I guess he thought it was a diesel, as it reads on a diesel scale. I I also run a scangauge 2 full time. Made a custom mount so everything is visible with a quick glance side to side. Try a smaller 2.8" blower pulley for a bit more boost. Cheap and easy. Part number/source used to be here on Mud. Try reading some of the Aussie 80 boards on FB. They run sequential turbos for 20+ # of boost and get 600 h p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom