New Dobinsons VT series dual rate coils (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everybody Huddexpo here! I was on the phone with David Otero earlier over at Dobinsons and I'm happy to announce a total redesign of their signature Tapered coils for our trucks! This new design will be replacing the existing tapered coil line. As far as I know across the board for all vendors all existing orders were upgraded to these as well. They should be out in the world very soon. They will offer the same ride quality and weight handling characteristics but will now be stocked in black and with no coil slap noise. Price stays the same at $400 a set.

Huddexpo will be running these on both our trucks so stay tuned for first impressions. More specs to come as well. If you have any questions feel free to message us or reply here! Mud members get a discount so hit us up!
VT SERIES DUAL RATE COIL SPRINGS

Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 3.58.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 3.58.28 PM.png

Hey everybody Huddexpo here! I was on the phone with David Otero earlier over at Dobinsons and I'm happy to announce a total redesign of their signature Tapered coils for our trucks! This new design will be replacing the existing tapered coil line. As far as I know across the board for all vendors all existing orders were upgraded to these as well. They should be out in the world very soon. They will offer the same ride quality and weight handling characteristics but will now be stocked in black and with no coil slap noise. Price stays the same at $400 a set.

Huddexpo will be running these on both our trucks so stay tuned for first impressions. More specs to come as well. If you have any questions feel free to message us or reply here! Mud members get a discount so hit us up!
Mine are set to arrive Wednesday! Any word on overall stance? Still slightly higher stance than advertised or is this what you mean by weight handling? Please be black although I'm ok on the original or maybe not lol...

So... " a total redesign"

What has changed (other than colour) and why?

No coil slap - so how is that achieved?

3.5" with what extra weight on the front end? I have m12000, arb, dual bats, s/c and sliders - so a reasonable amount of extra weight either right on the front end or spread a bit between front & rear.

As a prospective customer, I'm interested.

cheers,
george.

Load carrying should match the old VT, very closely. So yes, 3.5 inches of lift with your typically loaded 80 series. Bumper, winch, dual batteries, etc. We have an 80s set up that way so we’ll have good measurements hopefully in the next week or so. And a comparison because we’re pulling old tapers off of it and putting these new dual rates on it.

Mine are set to arrive Wednesday! Any word on overall stance? Still slightly higher stance than advertised or is this what you mean by weight handling? Please be black although I'm ok on the original or maybe not lol...
I go outside and fed ex just came early. Still green. Go figure... I was worried I would have one set green and one black lol. At least my mind is at ease there....
View attachment 2677003
Dobinsons has been trying to get their backlog of orders shipped ASAP, so Huddexpo can't fill color change requests unfortunately. As that would slow everybody down. Super happy to see you got them early! Post up some pictures when they are installed!

So... " a total redesign"

What has changed (other than colour) and why?

No coil slap - so how is that achieved?

3.5" with what extra weight on the front end? I have m12000, arb, dual bats, s/c and sliders - so a reasonable amount of extra weight either right on the front end or spread a bit between front & rear.

As a prospective customer, I'm interested.

cheers,
george.
Mr. Dobinson redesigned the springs to streamline manufacturing so (hopefully) they can stay in stock and the old price point can be kept ($400 vs $440+). They are still "heavies" so expect more than advertised lift on lighter trucks, but the go to for heavy pigs. Reduced coil slap comes from the distance between the coil wraps and the spring zone your truck normally rides in.

^ So, I guess the pictures of the black vs blue springs are photoshop - since they look identical in coil to coil distance :)

Anyhow, thanks for the info. Certainly prefer the black colour versus the 'trendy' blue or green or ....

I'll get hold of you soon to discuss details before I order a set.

cheers,
george.

^ So, I guess the pictures of the black vs blue springs are photoshop - since they look identical in coil to coil distance :)

Anyhow, thanks for the info. Certainly prefer the black colour versus the 'trendy' blue or green or ....

I'll get hold of you soon to discuss details before I order a set.

cheers,
george.
Sounds Great! They now come as an option in black, old teal is still available. Picture was not a comparison, just the two available colors. Sorry for the confusion!

Cool Beans... Wonder what the rate & wire size are???? @David Otero

I never minded Slinky sound of stacked turns on coils.

@on the rocks do you mind posting up pics of coils out of the box?

Just from looking at the pics given they seem to be of the same wire size all the way up like the Flexi coils.

Last edited:
Cool Beans... I never minded Slinky sound of stacked turns on coils.

@on the rocks do you mind posting up pics of coils out of the box?

Just from looking at the pics given they seem to be of the same wire size all the way up like the Flexi coils. Also @on the rocks set are not ground down flat like the 1st pics. just chopped off.
We should have some actual specs pretty soon. I heard that they are a slightly larger wire diameter than the Flexi's but I will also measure them once I have them in hand. We have about a half a dozen different combos of springs on-hand we will compare to once our order arrives.

So are all the latest shipment the new production run? Outside a job number I have no detail. Both 161012 pallet C003686 wrap1. R-batch 21/1-15; f- batch 20/12-1
Coil diameter is roughly .715 rear/ .655 front. Seems fairly consistent. Round coil tapered end / flat top side.
about 21” rear vs. 24” front and do seem to be cut flush.
3A23625C-0A75-4A26-AC15-898C6FABB988.jpeg
FF30CBAD-E67C-4B03-A4D9-E866D4F0F890.jpeg
52DE98BD-3D02-431E-AB38-AD72A3FE0BEF.jpeg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Good info.
Front .655 = 16.637mm
Rear .715 = 18.161mm

20190730_193951.png

Last edited:
Speaking on the front coil, looks to be about 12 winds at a steady 16.6mm coil based on @on the rocks specs, so less winds with a thicker overall coil at the same free height to the old tapered coils.

Oddly enough comparing them to the 4” flexi in specs they are similar in diameter and turns but with ~1.5” taller free height. That taller height should increase the spring rate a bit for us heavier trucks.

If they give the same or <.5” lift as the old 144s I’d be interesting in swapping. I have ran 3” flexis and now on 3.5” vts and felt like the flexis give a more noticeable rate change when driving which add comfort on small bumps but can ramp up as you go deeper into the travel. The tapered coils essentially felt like a single rate stiffer coil with an expanding coil spacer to contain the coil on extension. I have always wished for a front “HD” flexi coil. I would def keep it teal too!

So are all the latest shipment the new production run? Outside a job number I have no detail. Both 161012 pallet C003686 wrap1. R-batch 21/1-15; f- batch 20/12-1
Coil diameter is roughly .715 rear/ .655 front. Seems fairly consistent. Round coil tapered end / flat top side.
about 21” rear vs. 24” front and do seem to be cut flush.
View attachment 2677242View attachment 2677243View attachment 2677244
View attachment 2677248
These coils do not appear to be tapered but maybe a different version of the flexi coil.

All the pictures above are Flexi coils but the box has the Tapered coils part number. Am confused.

I just replaced my Flexi coils with Tapered coils and the difference is exactly what I was looking for. Unlike @Shoredreamer I thought the Flexi coils had a more linear spring feel and that the Tapered coils have a soft initial bump followed by rapid ramp up. The main reasons I changed from Flexi to Tapered was for the weight handling and bottom out resistance.

4" Flexi left with 3" Tapered right
1621343282243.png

The coils might have had a slight diameter variance of about .05-.10 from top to bottom going larger to the bottom of the spring(I grabbed the middle on the measurement due to this). I wasn't in a good position to get exact numbers and not today either but I do know it was something that caught my attention and had me checking throughout the spring. I'm sure @LC4LIFE can clarify this on the follow up. Not sure if this is in the design for the taper spring?

omg, i might buy a pair just to rid myself of the noise. i am fairly light so my coils dont touch and when i hit even the slightest bumps i sound like a 94 ford explorer with the slaps and squeaks. its not the end of the world and you dont notice it unless below 5mph but holy crap does my truck sound like junk.

omg, i might buy a pair just to rid myself of the noise. i am fairly light so my coils dont touch and when i hit even the slightest bumps i sound like a 94 ford explorer with the slaps and squeaks. its not the end of the world and you dont notice it unless below 5mph but holy crap does my truck sound like junk.
Have you seen those isolators the Japanese tuner brand TEIN makes for their coilovers? People say they work on these Dobinson coils.

There are multiple manufacturers for that type of product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom