Builds 1966 FJ45LV Capri (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got this baby put back together and home last week, wow what a difference! Fires RIGHT up, plenty of power now, and the header sounds pretty amazing. I still don't know that I'd really want to cruiser at high speeds on the freeway with this thing, but at least now it doesnt take it so long to get moving. We live on a bit of a hill too and it cruises right up without any issues now. I haven't really even gotten into 5th gear on my drives with it yet, but I'm loving where 1st and 2nd are now.

Had to use a later model air cleaner lid to get it to fit (the correct one for a 66 was too tall), but kept the same air cleaner. Also installed a crossmember from a 60 series, had read that it may not be necessary but that was something I didn't want to leave to chance, turned out pretty nice. The ebrake kit is from redline land cruisers.

I have a couple more things that need to be worked on still before I get to drive it regularly. Unfortunately as many can relate, when you start messing with stuff you always end up with more to fix than you anticipated. Found that the alternator was bad so we got that replaced, and while doing so one of the pulleys developed a pretty good wobble so I've got to get that replaced now. The brakes I keep fighting with, lots of trial and error, so I've got those adjusted hopefully where they need to be now but need to get some miles on it to be sure, new booster (I know, not correct to the year but PO had already installed a dual circuit brake system so I'm trying to get it to work right). Also, the new gas pedal that had to be installed for the 5sp swap needs to be bent in to drive it comfortably - got some shin cramps driving it the other day :). I've also got a battery drain thats been driving me nuts ever since I bought this thing, the wiring really needs to be completely redone at some point it’s quite a rats nest. For now I just plug it into a battery tender whenever I park it. Overall I'm a happy camper, just a few things left to tweak.

3D3C5943-FD5F-401C-8822-F9AC08D97F45.jpeg

C6D4C801-F0DF-461A-A5AE-E0F2691FEB0E.jpeg

7730C791-4A3F-4B41-BB23-C6386DFD2A24.jpeg

BF82B5C8-26EA-4098-9393-9CC10E39F5B2.jpeg

8E8E30F5-CB7D-4D92-BC74-C4116BE9B5BF.jpeg

FF4B22C4-E6DE-4D15-BED3-229965D1B972.jpeg

Last edited:
great work! very interested to see what if any mods you had to do to the LV floor?

great work! very interested to see what if any mods you had to do to the LV floor?
I should have taken better photos before the carpet kit got reinstalled - We just used an unmolested early trans hump (from a 3 on the tree) and cut it as needed. Did not have to extend it up at all or anything.

ignore the red wire. That’s for a little Bluetooth motorcycle stereo I installed below the front seat :)

9498F2CA-DB2A-4673-9D67-514092059B98.jpeg

BAE4B1F6-7FA2-4A9D-A1E6-A8E9CCBFF8E5.jpeg

CB7379B3-D1F2-41B9-B710-78CBBB5E2FEC.jpeg

Last edited:
no worries, thanks. was concerned it would hit at the rear end of the cover. Did you use a 4 speed bellhousing

no worries, thanks. was concerned it would hit at the rear end of the cover. Did you use a 4 speed bellhousing
We kept the bell housing that was in there, which I assume was for the 4sp that was in there before

Edit: you can see the bell housing a bit in post #122

Last edited:
We kept the bell housing that was in there, which I assume was for the 4sp that was in there before

Edit: you can see the bell housing a bit in post #122
thanks, yeah.. i just re-read through and checked out another thread. big decision to make, weather to mod a new floor to future proof any upgrades before paint..

Nathan,

With your electrical draw issue. Hook up a multimeter set to miliamps. Remove the negative side of your battery and run the leads inline ( neg side flows through the meter. This will show how many amps ( hope not Amps!) more likely miliamp draw. Anything under 50 miliamps should be ok. Start pulling fuses, relays, while you watch the ma draw. Can’t imagine there is anything too crazy on the lv. I’m used to checking German cars with 50 miles of wiring and a hundred fuses!!! Looks like your ready for spring!!! Get out and drive that beauty!

Nathan,

With your electrical draw issue. Hook up a multimeter set to miliamps. Remove the negative side of your battery and run the leads inline ( neg side flows through the meter. This will show how many amps ( hope not Amps!) more likely miliamp draw. Anything under 50 miliamps should be ok. Start pulling fuses, relays, while you watch the ma draw. Can’t imagine there is anything too crazy on the lv. I’m used to checking German cars with 50 miles of wiring and a hundred fuses!!! Looks like your ready for spring!!! Get out and drive that beauty!
It should be simple but there’s a lot of splits, junctions, etc that should not be there - even some completely open connections I’ve found and capped off. It’s a pretty poorly done rewire. I’ve been through the engine bay but my guess is it’s somewhere under the dash - it’s a big mess under there. A properly done harness is definitely on my to-do list once the FJ28 is all done. Good summer project in a climate controlled Phoenix garage :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom