My Turn - The Mega Dream Garage (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I also got mine at Greg Smith in Atlanta (about the same time as LDowney IIRC) just because I could pick it up and not deal w/ shipping hassle. Don't remember what I paid but I'm thinking about half of what they are now. Yeah, it's Chinese (but so are most others). I got the 10k and it does everything I need it to do. It struggled a bit with a single cab F350 dually diesel so if I had it to do over again I'd probably go up to at least 12k. But overall no complaints. Friend has a really nice Bendpak 12k that makes me toy with the idea of upgrading to someday, or even the 15k.

IMG_2052.jpg

2 post hoist for working on anything frame & axle related, I think of 4 post as storage but never owned one :meh:

Trying to recall the brand I got, was a good deal and it’s solid enough, mine has the handle release you hold as it lowers…not a deal breaker for a home shop IMHO.

IMG_6225.jpeg

Locally here in Tulsa the primary dealer offers and pushes Challenger lifts but they will also get you a Bendpak or Rotary. Today I’m asking for quotes and specs on each with my 12’ ceiling I’m dealing with. Happy to share what I learn if you wish. I’ll be looking at both the 9k and 10k options.

Initial quotes in from one source. I asked about the Rotary and Bendpak lifts in addition to the Challenger lifts they seem to prefer but received little info.

Challenger CL10V3, Versymetric Plus 2 post lift, conventional power controls. directSPOT offset 3 stage front and rear arms & single point mechanical lock. 143" height at full stroke. Stack Adapter kit.

Unit cost = $5,945.66, Stack adapter kit = $421.64, Freight = $1,046.76, Hydraulic fluid (quoted I will use own) = $50.00, Install $650.00
Total = $8477.73

Only Rotary Lift they can carry is the Forward Lift, the 10k model Total = $6,522.00 Made in China and they report significant difficulties with parts and info from forward lift. Not sure really what to believe and I will be checking out somewhere else for quote on a Rotary Lift SPOA10.

I asked about Bendpak lifts and they report decrease in quality/service over the last few years, again not sure what to believe here.

I really only want to do this one time and not spend a fortune (already more than I really wanted to spend). I live in very rural area and if anything ever happened no one would be around for wife came home so not wanting to risk quality here. Now I need to find local shop who can quote the Rotary lift I have read so much about. My limitations are a 12' ceiling and that's about it. One thing for sure is I really have no interest in something made in China and whatever I buy it will be American made.

Rotary SPOA10 just quoted $7600 installed when asked about why using them over Challenger she said Challenger parts difficult at times. Rotary does have 2 year warranty on everything and person I called has been selling for 40 years.

Last edited:
Initial quotes in from one source. I asked about the Rotary and Bendpak lifts in addition to the Challenger lifts they seem to prefer but received little info.

Challenger CL10V3, Versymetric Plus 2 post lift, conventional power controls. directSPOT offset 3 stage front and rear arms & single point mechanical lock. 143" height at full stroke. Stack Adapter kit.

Unit cost = $5,945.66, Stack adapter kit = $421.64, Freight = $1,046.76, Hydraulic fluid (quoted I will use own) = $50.00, Install $650.00
Total = $8477.73

Only Rotary Lift they can carry is the Forward Lift, the 10k model Total = $6,522.00 Made in China and they report significant difficulties with parts and info from forward lift. Not sure really what to believe and I will be checking out somewhere else for quote on a Rotary Lift SPOA10.

I asked about Bendpak lifts and they report decrease in quality/service over the last few years, again not sure what to believe here.

I really only want to do this one time and not spend a fortune (already more than I really wanted to spend). I live in very rural area and if anything ever happened no one would be around for wife came home so not wanting to risk quality here. Now I need to find local shop who can quote the Rotary lift I have read so much about. My limitations are a 12' ceiling and that's about it. One thing for sure is I really have no interest in something made in China and whatever I buy it will be American made.

Rotary SPOA10 just quoted $7600 installed when asked about why using them over Challenger she said Challenger parts difficult at times. Rotary does have 2 year warranty on everything and person I called has been selling for 40 years.

I think you're getting the typical dealer BS.

If you want to buy top tier get a Mohawk. Nothing else even comes close to them. They are the no corners cut top of the line for 2 posts.

I'd also recommend buying used and installing it yourself. These things are dirt simple. I mean, they do have to be installed correctly, but it doesn't take any special tools or advanced skills. A tape measure, level, shim set, hammer drill, studs, epoxy gun and a torque wrench. Buying from the dealer doesn't get you anything special. You're just paying the huge markup that keeps that big dealer machine humming. Not a single thing special about a 2 post lift an average mechanically inclined person can't troubleshoot and repair. Parts are all heavy steel plate or off the shelf hardware/hydraulic items.

About a year ago there was a big shop that went under near me selling off five or so 12K Mohawk 2 posts for $3500 a piece. They were like new. I didn't need any, but I kind of wish I'd have picked up a pair for the price.

I regularly see used late model name brand 2 posts around $2000- $2500.

Just to add a little, I bought my first 2 post, a heavily used 1970's Rotary June 15th 2001. I remember the day I installed it. It was my first business purchase. I still have that lift and besides fresh paint and oil and new hydraulic hoses when I installed it 22 years ago I haven't done a thing to it.

In 2010 I bought a 2nd 9k 2 post, a low cost import one. It has the UHMW slides inside. For the lower price I can't complain much, but it's cheap and I don't use it in ways that I would If it was built better.

My advise is buy the best used 2 post you can afford because cheap lifts are sketchy and there isn't much at all to go wrong with the better made ones.

My SPOA10 was $68XX installed a few months back. That was with the Trio Arms, Flip-Up adapters, and the Truck Extensions. I watched them install the lift and, yes, it didn't look that difficult. Having said that, those posts are heavy biatches and I was glad I wasn't walking them into place. I did do the wiring myself and I'm glad I did as I'm not sure anyone would have done it to my satisfaction.

OK so as usual my memory fails me.......$8287 installed late last year. I think the lift was $68xx and the installation and hydraulic fluid was on top. (Edit again cause that still doesn't add up as installation wasn't that much - must have been $68xx before tax as well.)

Last edited:
The lifts with the synchronization cables running across the floor are low headroom lifts. Looks like you have plenty of headroom though?

yes, he had plenty of room to install whatever lift he wanted. I was wondering what the differences between the 2 are. it seems the ones that have the cables/hydraulic line running across the top will limit how high you can go depending on the vehicle....?
I am 6'4 and I could stand completely underneath my 62. We installed the taller adapters on the lifting arms but I was able to stand without bending. I was glad to be a part of the install of this lift so I have an understanding of how it goes together and if it will work for me.

yes, he had plenty of room to install whatever lift he wanted. I was wondering what the differences between the 2 are. it seems the ones that have the cables/hydraulic line running across the top will limit how high you can go depending on the vehicle....?
I am 6'4 and I could stand completely underneath my 62. We installed the taller adapters on the lifting arms but I was able to stand without bending. I was glad to be a part of the install of this lift so I have an understanding of how it goes together and if it will work for me.
The ones with the cables across the floor are aggravating if you want to wheel a cart or a transmission under the vehicle. Most of the ones with overhead cables will have reached their max height before the vehicle hits the overhead cross member.

Normal 2 post height is just under 12'.

The lifts with the cables and hose running across the floor are a hassle when the vehicle isn't running. That's why it's odd to choose one when you have room for a normal lift.

This is why I thought the cables going across the top would limit how high you could lift a vehicle. The jeep is clearly already above the posts and there was one more block left to raise it. It seems that it would depend on the vehicle.
I really don’t know as I’m definitely new to using a lift.
20230607_202352.jpeg

output_image1686689207702.jpeg

This is why I thought the cables going across the top would limit how high you could lift a vehicle. The jeep is clearly already above the posts and there was one more block left to raise it. It seems that it would depend on the vehicle.
I really don’t know as I’m definitely new to using a lift.
View attachment 3388435
View attachment 3388436

That's why they're called low headroom lifts- if the ceiling height is too low for the height of the lift posts or the trusses are in the way (pole building) you can install a low headroom lift as long as you have 12' clear height where the vehicle is.

The posts on the lift are just shorter- they don't go up any higher.

Not a great pic of the lifts, but you can see the overhead carriage on each style here. It's only a few feet above the posts and about 5 feet above the upper range of the lift bars. Realistically, the lift bars only go to about the height of the control box on the side of the post.

So if the Jeep above is at max height, the overhead carriage looks like it would still fit inside that barn/garage.
1690819764571.png

That's why they're called low headroom lifts- if the ceiling height is too low for the height of the lift posts or the trusses are in the way (pole building) you can install a low headroom lift as long as you have 12' clear height where the vehicle is.

The posts on the lift are just shorter- they don't go up any higher.
Gotcha. Makes sense

Been a while.
Built a king size bed in the shop for the gueat room and finished a big rolling work bench.
Also been working on the FJ40.
IMG-20230910-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20230911-WA0000.jpeg
20230826_202855.jpg

20230711_194948.jpg

20230711_194921.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom