Builds My New Project (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, I took the cruiser mountain biking and when I returned, gas was running out my gas cap. I’m kind of rethinking how to approach this. Gas was coming out the filler neck.

Thoughts? Will a charcoal canister handle that much fuel expansion? I was under the impression that the canister was all about vapors. There’s more than just vapors here.

View attachment 2689354

View attachment 2689355
There are vapors generating positive pressure in the tank. If the only exit is by pressing liquid out the fill neck, it is just a numbers game. Once there is enough pressure to move the liquid, there you see it!

The good news is it is not blowing your tank apart at the seems. or pressing enough to distort at the sender hole.

Can't remember if you are running stock tank or not...

With all my exposure to gasoline when working in petroleum pipe lines, it's fair to say I'm confident it's something in design on the 55 side. Filling up in the evenings (which I did this time) means the gasoline was likely at its warmest temp and therefore took up the most volume in my tank. It's temp however was likely colder in the ground than once it was in the 55 tank. As it warms, it's going to expand. If pumped in the morning vs the afternoon isn't going to change things much. Because the gas was in a ground tank means ambient temp isn't going to affect it much as it pumps.

The pump nozzle shut off like every pump nozzle. Nothing spewed from my tank at the time and I even tried to listen for when it starts to come up the filler neck so I could manually stop it. The sound didn't change enough for me to know it was coming up the neck. The nozzle shut it off before I could.

So the situation as I can determine is the fuel level is somewhere beteen the tank inlet and the filler cap. It doesn't take much of a turn to slosh it to the top, nor does it take much temperature increase to expand the gas up the filler tube. The real question is what can be designed to prevent it from coming out the cap?

I'm assuming my cap is vented but I'm not sure. The description says 'vacuum vented'. I took that to mean it would allow outside air into the tank as fuel is used but not let gas out. (Is my understanding correct for vacuum venting?).

Maybe I just need to vent to air ( I've already ordered the check valve) and buy a non vented cap.

I would not recommend venting the tank vapors to atmosphere unless you want your rig to stink like gas vapors. It is not fun in the summer. If you keep it in the garage, the garage stinks, and then those vapors migrate into your home.

Gas caps that are vented are designed to let fresh air into the tank when the volume of fuel cools, to keep the tank from generating a vacuum inside. Vacuum conditions would be difficult on the fuel pump to deliver adequate volume to the engine, yes? This is also why you don't want to run around with an empty tank when it is cold and wet. The more air you pull into the tank, the more moisture that can fall out of suspension and accumulate in the bottom of your tank in the form of liquid water.

So if the cap is only designed to let air into the tank when the liquid fuel is cooling and contracting, what about when the fuel volume is heating and expanding? Vent to the charcoal can, let engine vacuum pull those vapors out of the charcoal media and burn...

Do you have a vent line now? And what tank do you have?
When I built mine I had the two overflow lines go in to the side of the tank at the same level as at the filler. I had poor venting too and what I think happens is the fumes build up and go to the top of the tank and push the fuel up the over flow. I then moved the overflows to the top of the tank and put a really long vent line and have it vent to the fuel door area. That was what Jmack suggested. I was mostly overflowing while driving because on the old efi I used a return line and I think it came back from he engine pretty warm.
Running the fuel up to the engine compartment and then back to the tank will warm things up!

Fillerneck Supply wanted me to test if my cap held pressure. I think I found the leak. They didn’t apply any sealer on the filler neck where the inside flapper insert meets the neck. They’re sending me another neck (this time one that’s sealed). Hence the leak was not something the cap gasket even got close to.

547249A7-52DC-42EB-943A-FD994DE45E5C.jpeg

C6C38B0F-485A-44E1-B86C-9B09EC0214B4.jpeg

Ditto, hope that helps. Gas ain't cheap. My pig party budget keeps increasing every week.

I’ve got a new check valve if the plumbing matches. 😊😊😊

image.jpg

I know what you're say'n. My check valve is weak and after a few too many beers I tend to let vapors too. :)
Especially after a Coors or three?

Dude (can we say dude around here), I love that paint scheme. My is getting ready to go under the knife and I think I'm going to be a copy cat! Love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom