My Mini-truck Power Steering Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ID this PS gearbox please

Ok, the PS gearbox on the top is from my '78 FJ40 that had PS installed by CCOT back in '94. I assumed this gearbox was from a '79 or later FJ40.

The gearbox on the bottom is supposedly really a '79+ FJ40 PS gearbox.

Given the difference (notice the angle of attack?) I now believe that CCOT used mini-truck gearboxes for their upgrade. My box (on top) looks a lot like the one Romer installed (the angle is not steep).

Is the gearbox on the bottom a '79+ FJ40 PS Gearbox?:confused:

129250066_3aa73bfcf7.jpg

I thought I would post up a few more part numbers that people have been asking for...

The belt I used was from NAPA part# 22485 dimensions 11/16" x 49 1/8"

And the cap for the PS saginaw pump is NAPA 703-1515

Hope it helps.

Rezarf <><

My Power Steering was squeeling a bit and looking at what Rezarf did I figured out I was using a belt that was too narrow (3/8"). Rezarfs belt was too long for me. His engine is out of a 60 and I don't know if that made any difference. I used his part number as a starting point at NAPA and found the perfect belt for my 2F. It is a 48" by 11/16" NAPA part number 22474. No more squeeling. Rezarf used his to do 35" tires at Moab with no issues, so I am confident I can do something similar.

Ken,

I have been running mini p/s for a long time with 35's. I do recomend a P/S cooler. I know it has saved my pump. Good luck.
Later,

Bodean said:
Ken,

I have been running mini p/s for a long time with 35's. I do recomend a P/S cooler. I know it has saved my pump. Good luck.
Later,

Thanks, if you lookin the pics, you will see I have one.

Glad you got it all belted up Romer. I am installing a PS cooler next month, but I was impressed with the PS at Moab for sure!

Rezarf <><

TEQ said:
Ok, the PS gearbox on the top is from my '78 FJ40 that had PS installed by CCOT back in '94. I assumed this gearbox was from a '79 or later FJ40.

The gearbox on the bottom is supposedly really a '79+ FJ40 PS gearbox.

Given the difference (notice the angle of attack?) I now believe that CCOT used mini-truck gearboxes for their upgrade. My box (on top) looks a lot like the one Romer installed (the angle is not steep).

Is the gearbox on the bottom a '79+ FJ40 PS Gearbox?:confused:

129250066_3aa73bfcf7.jpg
The box on the bottom is a Fj box. Bolts directly to the stock pedestal, no need for an aftermarket bracket.

Romer

Thanks for a great how to do but one question. Did you drill three holes in the block to mount the pump. This is a 75 model and those holes were not an option until 1980 I believe. Thanks Bill

Romer said:
Step 13:
Start-up the engine and turn the wheel, add fluid, turn the wheel some more. This is how you bleed the system.
Nice write-up, however, that is not how you bleed a dry power steering pump. As a matter of fact, that is a good way to ruin a new pump. You need to raise both wheels off the ground and turn them lock to lock with the engine off. You may, depending on the run of the lines, addition of a cooler, have to do this as many as 20-40 times to purge all the entrapped air. I refer you to the AGR website and their instructions.
SAGINAW P-SERIES PUMP INSTALLATION

Last edited:
mounting the pump

Great how to. Does the pump bracket bolt to the watrer pump and manifold or must you drill 3 holes into the block like is standard on the 79 up 2F models? Thanks

bill

kbill45 said:
Thanks for a great how to do but one question. Did you drill three holes in the block to mount the pump. This is a 75 model and those holes were not an option until 1980 I believe. Thanks Bill

Those were the holes that the Smog Pump bracket moun ted too. No, I did not drill them.

Thats were the pump bracket goes to. Those holes should be there on your 2F, they have been on several other older 2Fs that I have seen. But with these rigs, you never know if the engine is original.

bsevans said:
Nice write-up, however, that is not how you bleed a dry power steering pump. As a matter of fact, that is a good way to ruin a new pump. You need to raise both wheels off the ground and turn them lock to lock with the engine off. You may, depending on the run of the lines, addition of a cooler, have to do this as many as 20-40 times to purge all the entrapped air. I refer you to the AGR website and their instructions.
SAGINAW P-SERIES PUMP INSTALLATION

I was told by 3 old timers thats the way to do it.

Looking at your instructions, thats for a different pump. That is for the Saginaw P pump. The pump I am using looks like the old one that was being taken off and discarded. Not sure it applies to my setup.

However, your method would work and is more conservative.

BTW - that bleed procedure is the same for a Toyota series Pump on an 80 land cruiser.

If you find instructions for my specific old style Saginaw, let us know.

My power steering setup is working great. Finding the right belt was the hardest thing. The one I posted above is perfect for my set-up.

Romer said:
I was told by 3 old timers thats the way to do it.

Looking at your instructions, thats for a different pump. That is for the Saginaw P pump. The pump I am using looks like the old one that was being taken off and discarded. Not sure it applies to my setup.

However, your method would work and is more conservative.
All P-series pumps are easily identified as they bolt inside the front face of a steering reservoir. If you give AGR a call, as I did, they will explain why you should not do it with the engine running (it voids their warranty). As far as three old timers saying that's the way to do it. Well, I put a lot more faith in a company that supplies pumps used by many professional rock crawlers. They have those bleed instructions for a reason. We are both using the same style of pump.
Power Steering Pump 02.jpg

That reservoir looks like mine, but the Pump is different.

I am sure your way is the appropriate way, not sure we are using the same pump.

The technical tip is great for this thread and I am not arguing with you. Looks like you have more "stuff" on your front plate than I do.
PS Install 018.jpg

Romer said:
That reservoir looks like mine, but the Pump is different.

I am sure your way is the appropriate way, not sure we are using the same pump.

The technical tip is great for this thread and I am not arguing with you. Looks like you have more "stuff" on your front plate than I do.

I think about .05% of the people that install new power steering pumps might do it the way bsevans and AGR reccomend. It's definatly better.

However, I'm pretty sure 99.95% of people who install new pumps do not ruin them...

:beer:

Finished mine up yesterday. Used the mini pump, box and a cooler. Works pretty well, but I still need to make up a tensioner bracket. I wish I had an extra alternator tensioner bracket for it.

I have to say, that hands down, it is by far the best mod I have done on the 40. I agree with everyone 1000%

Pinion said:
Finished mine up yesterday. Used the mini pump, box and a cooler. Works pretty well, but I still need to make up a tensioner bracket. I wish I had an extra alternator tensioner bracket for it.

I have to say, that hands down, it is by far the best mod I have done on the 40. I agree with everyone 1000%

I think I have one. I'll send it to you for the postage if you want it. PM me an address.

Ed

Glad I read this! I am going to put a belt and pulley on soon.

So I was looking at the old manual steering box and noticed the heat shield. Then I looked at my new setup-no heat shield. Plus the hose comes out near the manifold too. What are you using for a heat shield on the pump and hose?
I think the old shield will bolt on to the pump in two spots, but it may not cover the hose.
Any ideas? Pics, as always, help.

timbercruiser said:
So I was looking at the old manual steering box and noticed the heat shield. Then I looked at my new setup-no heat shield. Plus the hose comes out near the manifold too. What are you using for a heat shield on the pump and hose?
I think the old shield will bolt on to the pump in two spots, but it may not cover the hose.
Any ideas? Pics, as always, help.
This is what I did. The part number for the 90 degree fitting that is flair by hose is 44416-34010. You need to look in your low pressure return and make sure there is a flair at the bottom of the port for this nipple to seal against.
Steering Box 02.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom