My Mini-truck Power Steering Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks to Romer and all that have added tips and info.

I used Bill's brackets with the Grainger pulley, and the following belts:

• Gates Truck & Bus V-Belt TR22495 - alternator
  • Gates Truck & Bus V-Belt TR22474 - ps pump

Update...spoke with Orion Monday...never called me back on availability. Grainger price for pulley is up to $41.90. I did some digging on the thinkin box and just ordered the pulley ($17.00) and the bushing ($8.50) from Richards Co. in NJ. 800-929-2992.

They also listed the pulley on their website, machined to a 3/4" bore for $16.00, which I would think could eliminate the need for the bushing....but for the addtional $8.50, I didn't feel like doing the experiment vs. what has been done by many others.

Thanks Romer for this write up, I think it should live in the tech section.

I did some research today and found the pulley and bushing at Grainger (spent quite some time with their tech department) and they cross referenced the Martin Sprocket pulley and bushing and gave me their part numbers.

Pulley: #3x586
Cost: $21.64

Bushing: #3x573
Cost: $4.53

Just thought I would post it up.

Rezarf <><

I have done the mini truck power steering on my HJ 47 truck 1981 but there seems to be a problem the power steering feels like the old manuel one. The parts that were used were used hilux 4x4 power steering box coupled to a cressida oil pump I was thinking was the oil pump strong enough. Suggestions would be appreciated. thanks Donder

Mini-Truck PS Performance?

How does the mini-truck power steering hold up off-road? I've heard people say it's great for street driving, but I only use the street to get to the woods...

Right now I'm running 31x15.5 tires with manual steering and it's been good off-road until i get in a tight spot and then i start to work up a sweat! I like the simplicity of staying with a stock type power steering, but will it be enough if i upgrade to a bigger tire, like a 35x12.5, or should i wait and consider a 60 series/astro/saginaw steering?

One issue that I may run into with a saginaw is that I have a large worm gear winch in the front

If you wish to run tires of that size (35's), go with the Sag PS.

If you stay with the tall and skinny's the mini PS is fine.

Granted this advice is coming from lots of reading here on Mud. I'm going with the Mini truck and run 33x10.5x15's.

Alan

Thanks to Romer and all that have added tips and info.

I used Bill's brackets with the Grainger pulley, and the following belts:

• Gates Truck & Bus V-Belt TR22495 - alternator
  • Gates Truck & Bus V-Belt TR22474 - ps pump

Yes, these are the Green Stripe II belts, also known as 22 series belts. They are 11/16" (17.4mm) wide. The last 3 digits are the length, so your number might be different. Just use a rope to approximate the length you need. The auto parts store I went to allowed me to buy several sizes, knowing that I would be returning some of them. Good luck.

Last edited:
How does the mini-truck power steering hold up off-road? I've heard people say it's great for street driving, but I only use the street to get to the woods...

Right now I'm running 31x15.5 tires with manual steering and it's been good off-road until i get in a tight spot and then i start to work up a sweat! I like the simplicity of staying with a stock type power steering, but will it be enough if i upgrade to a bigger tire, like a 35x12.5, or should i wait and consider a 60 series/astro/saginaw steering?

One issue that I may run into with a saginaw is that I have a large worm gear winch in the front

i have done quite a few ps conversions both for myself, friends and customers, be it the sag setup or the minitruck. i also sell the brackets to mount the sag pumps to the f and 2f engines as well as the pedestals for the minitruck box and the frame plates for the sag box.

here's what i have found out:

the minitruck box conversion is a lot less invasive, simpler and cheaper. it suits itself very well for stock or semi-stock applications. i would not recommend using this setup if you plan on running tires wider than 10.50 or taller than 32". the inside of the driver tire will hit the relay rod, causing it and or the tre at the steering box pitman arm to bend. also, running larger tires will usually shorten the life expectancy of the factory bell crank setup dramatically.

so if you have a stocker that only sees mild trail use, go for the minitruck setup. anything bigger that's going to see moderate trail usage, should have a sag box on it.

hth

georg @ valley hybrids

locker

Do any of you guys with the mini truck set up run it with a front locker?

Yep......

thanks

thanks for the replies guys, i will also be running 33x10.5 and was starting to think the mini truck set up would not be enough.

OK..I plan on running the Mini box and Chevy pump....what have you all used to adapt the high pressure hose from metric (mini box) to chevy pump?

hose

I have not done it yet but there are lots of post that say you can go to local parts store and have one made. Looks like alot of people go to napa. Also think jto sells one ready to go and would not be surprised if mark has them on his site. Good luck and post up progress w/pics

As has been posted hundreds of times-

There is not enough difference to matter (if any difference at all), between "metric" and "standard" flare fittings on power steering components, as long as the pump is a flare fitting pump (vs an oring style).

I used an out of the box FJ60 hose to connect a sag pump to a minitruck box, and later used the same hose to connect a sag pump to an FJ60 box.

is this gear box manual or power?

Can anyone tell if this is a manual or power steering gear box? The parts person wasn't sure. I am ordering it my mail (about 1,000 miles). I am converting to power steering via guidance from this thread. Just need the box and pulley.
Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom