My Mini-truck Power Steering Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the pic. The old heat shield went right on-I'm scared, it was too easy!

I'll give it a shot.

Great thread.

Im currently in the middle of a frame up, and am going with the Mini PS setup.

I have a 69 and understand the steering shaft issues, but knowone has asked about the (pump) bracket mounting on an F engine. Does it go in the same place? What about clearing the alternator and air cleaner?

Does anyone have a thread to point me to, I've been searching all day.. :)

Thx all

Mini truck ps conversion

Does anyone have a reference part number for the correct High pressure hose for this setup don't want to have to get one madeup. This would be for the saginaw ps pump.

Great thread.

Im currently in the middle of a frame up, and am going with the Mini PS setup.

I have a 69 and understand the steering shaft issues, but knowone has asked about the (pump) bracket mounting on an F engine. Does it go in the same place? What about clearing the alternator and air cleaner?

Does anyone have a thread to point me to, I've been searching all day.. :)

Thx all

I know you will need to relocate the alternator to the 2f location on pass side. I think this is relativley straightforward using the 2f bracket and extending the wires. I plan to do this so I am speaking from what I have read not what I have done. I dont think the air cleaner is an issue.

Bump for a great write up on an often asked question.

I also have a PS question. I was given an 85 mini box from a guy in the local club. I know I'll need the box mounting kit from wdorry or JTO, etc.

Since I have a '79 with the block pre-drilled for Toyota PS pump, is it worth the trouble (edit: new bracket) to get the Sag pump? From what I understand from searching, the Sag pumps are cheaper and more reliable than the Toyota but haven't read a thread about someone with my same situation.

That being said, if I go Toyota, what pumps will bolt right on to my block? Just FJ40 and FJ60 pumps?

I am not concerned about being all stock (it is a mini box anyway).

I used a Toyota pump on a 70 conversion with a late motor and I have used saginaw pumps and for the life of me I could not tell that much difference, I would use it again if I had one with the brackets, Larry

Great write up, what pitman arm are you using? My 71 hits the bracket and won't turn correctly (not finished and no engine installed yet plus we had to cut the fender liner. Should I be usiung a mini-truck pitman arm and if so which one (year, model etc)? Thanks!

I am doing a very similar conversion to this one - using an old 4Runner box and an FJ60 pump. I have the pump mounted thanks to Pablo's guy Lynn, who told me that I need a 54" belt. There was lots of discussion about finding a belt, but no one really said how they do that. How do I find a 54" belt that fits a '78 2F?

Thanks.

Go to your local parts store and tell them you want a 17 mm wide by 54" belt.

Someone else chime in on the 17mm wide point if I am off.

You may want to get two or three belts and bring the ones back that don't fit. My local NAPA usually has the best selection.

Good luck

Corrected to 17mm Thanks

Last edited:
Looks like 2 banana! Good stuff!

Do you see anything wrong with using this bracket for the steering box? Made from original mount . I bought it for the reason of no welding required . What do you think ? Also any pics of a early year
column install . Many thanks

View attachment 202572

Last edited:
I have no idea about anything powersteering, what is this talk about pulleys and gearing, I don't have enough background knowledge to make sense, or use, of your tutorial.

I have no idea about anything powersteering, what is this talk about pulleys and gearing, I don't have enough background knowledge to make sense, or use, of your tutorial.
Maybe you should eat more bananas:banana:

So I ordered everything that you did Romer, and I got a PS box from an '82 mini-truck..i hope it works, haha. The box looks different then yours though...

Tech Link

This still isn't a tech link? :confused:

Step 2:
You need to remove the Pitman Arm from the linkage. At the end of the rod, there is a cotter pin. You probably can’t see it with Mud and grease. Once you get the cotter pin out, use a regular head screw driver and screw out the plate. There is then another plate (I used a rubber mallet to move it by hitting the end. Then there is a spring and then a plate that goes over the ball of the Pitman Arm. Having a magnet here is helpful. Note: if you have to use the same Pitman ARM, use a puller to remove it. My new gearbox came with one so I did not need to do this.
Hey Ken - you used the Mini Truck Pitman Arm? Anybody see any issues there (Doesn't look like it from the thread.) And I guess the FJ40 drag link end went right on to the the ball on the late model Pitman arm?

Go to your local parts store and tell them you want a 11 mm wide by 54" belt.

Someone else chime in on the 11mm wide point if I am off.

You may want to get two or three belts and bring the ones back that don't fit. My local NAPA usually has the best selection.

Good luck
17mm according to NAPA. 19mm for AC pump.

great write-up ken! :cheers:

i've been sneding a link to this thread to quite a few mudders since it's very detailed so i feel no need to do another write-up. :wrench:

fwiw: i bought the design for the conversion brackets from bill and now produce and sell them. :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom