1980 FJ40 intermittent stalling (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As the title says -

My 40 will cold start first try, runs high idle at start perfectly and then as soon as I tap the pedal, it drops down to a nice steady idle. It drives perfectly after that for about the first 10-15 miles or so after it gets good and hot. After pushing it on the highway at 50mph or so, I'll get to a stop light and put it in neutral. About every 3rd stop light or so - if it's a long stoplight - the engine will slowly chug lower and lower until it goes silent and just dies completely.

What I've figured out is that when I hear this about to happen, I can give the gas pedal just the lightest tap and it wakes the engine right back up as if nothing ever happened. IF it does die, I turn the key, starts right up and we're back to normal immediately. Acceleration is fine at all times; I can mash the pedal and I get no stuttering or sag in power or anything of the sort.

Hardware -
Weber 38 with approximately 10-20 hours on it (please don't get the pitchforks after me, I'm broke and can't get anything else)
Brand new gas tank
Brand new fuel filter - Old 'wix' jeep type with the return tube back to the tank
Fuel pump has approximately 10-20 hours or so on it (electric)

The weber was taken out of the redline box and slapped in the truck. I did the enclosed instructions about seating the screws and turning them out a turn and a half - other than that, it's bone stock settings.

After combing the forums, I'm moderately sure this is a "turn the idle speed screw" kind of fix, but I am wholly ignorant about cars and especially carbs. When I took it out today, I pulled into a parking lot and turned the screw indicated in this post ( Dieseling / very high idle on 72 FJ40 w/ Weber 38/38 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/dieseling-very-high-idle-on-72-fj40-w-weber-38-38.1019941/post-11297768) a half turn, and couldn't hear idle of the engine change at all, so I didn't wanna monkey with anything else until I talked to some adults about the issue.

I'm so close to getting this thing roadworthy, I appreciate any help you guys can give me.

There are not many Weber fans here, but there are a few - hopefully one of them will chime in. Good luck with the diagnosis in any event. It does sound like a carb problem to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom