23k mile 1980 fj40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
pretty sure Ive got a 23k mile fj40. Me and my dad bought 1980 fj40 off marketplace back in October. Originally we bought it just for the body and the plan was to use the body for my dads 83 because this 80 we’ve just found is as close to rust free as you’ll find these days and we got it for dirt cheap (I don’t think the guy had any clue the value of this 40)
We finally got it home which is a wild story on its own but we’ve working on it since we got it. The speedometer reads 23k miles but it’s a 6 digit vin and I couldn’t figure how to carfax it but from what we’ve seen of this cruiser the odds point to that it’s really just a 23k mile cruiser. Just wanted to share this because I think it’s cool and I’m going to make a build thread for it since me and my dad have decide to get it going and make a sweet 40 out of it.
F4F9B9C3-956C-4801-92A2-673E022303AA.jpeg
26F8EF20-022D-46DA-802E-274C9FD90608.jpeg
BA43AFE4-7342-4023-87B4-4FED898ABD1F.jpeg
First pic is the pics from the ad on market place
Second pic is the day after we got it and cleaned it up and started to really realize how minty this cruiser is (things like the floor mar being in perfect condo, original weld line on the rear end, tub floor mat being perfect, etc)
Third pic is the state it’s in right now. We’ve done a lot to it and I really am so grateful for my dad who helps me and and teaches me how to work on these. Feel free to answer any questions I’d be happy to answer. Btw the original owner was an idiot and painted the perfect and classic freeborn red over with this kinda weird egg shell white and it’s a horrible paint job haha.

Very Nice, get it back together and drive it!

Someone else here made an order of operations something along the lines of
1. If it could kill me, fix it (brakes, and perhaps electrical (fire will kill the truck), U joints, Steering geometry
2. if it could leave me stranded - All rubber hoses under the hood, Fuel, Water, Vacuum, Distributor/leads. I would include here changing all fluids. (Diff, transfer, gearbox, engine, brake, coolant)
3. Nice to have. everything else

Nice find! Any chance of removing the repaint and saving the Freeborn Red underneath? Looks like a really nice truck.

hard to believe someone would repaint a truck that was 20k miles on it. looks like someone oufitted it back in the day with a second fuel tank and a family cage?

hard to believe someone would repaint a truck that was 20k miles on it. looks like someone oufitted it back in the day with a second fuel tank and a family cage?
ya it has a second fuel tank and it had a jeep roll cage in it super ugly. The guy was definitely into this cruiser as when we bought it there was a giant bag of old Spector and man a fre magazines from the 80s. The paint is still a question to me and my dad, maybe he just hated the red and they didn’t have any white ones? Maybe his son or somone he bought it for didn’t like the white which would explain the cheapness of the paint job? Who knows really

Nice find! Any chance of removing the repaint and saving the Freeborn Red underneath? Looks like a really nice truck.
I wish man, me and my dad got curious with the side wall part on top of the fender and we coated it in jasco since we’re getting it sand blasted anyways for his 83 resto and the jasco kinda removed the white and left the red but not really. we’re gonna go back to freeborn red eventually but for now we’re just gonna make it a fun runner and get it mechanically sound.

Reactions: 405
The windshield will tell the story.
The windshield is really good it does not have the original windshield which is really one of the only things that makes me believe it has clicked over 100m
B59985B4-4FC5-4C32-A7E9-CDA6587D5814.jpeg
978685F5-9072-4996-A6EC-7D0346F7714C.jpeg
F92A06B9-2DA7-4242-BFE0-468695D9DC8E.jpeg
A73F2610-4854-4D8C-AAA5-E9757D26C13F.jpeg

All that brown on the top is just dust/dirt the seal that goes under is in perfect condo

So now I'm confused, you think it is a 23,000 original mile fj40 ? or you have come to realize it is more like 123,000 ? What to the pedal pads look like ?

So now I'm confused, you think it is a 23,000 original mile fj40 ? or you have come to realize it is more like 123,000 ? What to the pedal pads look like ?
The signs of it being 23k outweigh the signs of it being 123k. For instance we pulled the oil pan yesterday and it was mint
D67274FC-3DD6-4665-A149-6E2536D0A758.jpeg
it didn’t have pedal pads when we bought it

Nice find! I'd love to find a nice 4/80 FJ40.

Agree with @brian , 23K is not broken in and 123K is barely broken in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom