Builds My '78 FJ40 "44" (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I took this picture a couple of weeks ago, in the Spring Mountains... Sgt Gunner is on the right... Sir Chester on the left.

image.jpeg

As I posted last, I took this picture of Sgt Gunner after our last hike on our most recent, four night trip... Gunner did great... He actually outran Chester, toward the end of our last hike.

image.jpg

But, Gunner has had a couple of "lost" episodes in the last couple of weeks... He would come in the house and act like he didn't know where he was. I suspected the onset of dementia, he is after all 11, so I took him to the vet two days ago.

His blood work showed low red blood cells and high bilirubin... The sign of something serious... Like hemangiosarcoma ( Golden Retrievers are susceptible to blood borne, splenic tumors).

Today, he had an ultrasound and two radiographs and his liver is completely covered in small tumors... To the point that it can't be resected. His spleen has a few tumors as well and something is bleeding into his abdomen... Could be the liver or the spleen, or both.

It's very aggressive and the vet says he probably has a month or less...

We lost a 13 year old female GR to this abdominal bleed out, years ago, and we didn't know she was sick until her abdomen became extremely distended one day... She died before daylight the next day... So, I don't think Gunner has a month left.

We'll be going bush as often as he feels up to it.

I'm not looking for pity, I've lost a lot of great best friends in my life... I've made daBoise a large part of my MUD persona and felt I needed to let everyone know what's going on.

Gunner is special though... He was born on Veterans' Day (11/11), 2005 and I was diagnosed with prostate cancer on Dec 18, 2005. I had a 4-month injection of Lupron Depot, to kill my testosterone and shrink my prostate. This shot put me into full blown menopause (hot flashes, night sweats, night chills, depression, crying jags, mood swings, the whole enchilada). Gunner slept on my chest and nursed me through it all. He also nursed me through the recovery from the subsequent surgery.

I wish I could nurse him through this, but I can't... So, we will give him the best quality of life, we can, for the time he has left.

I took this picture a couple of weeks ago, in the Spring Mountains... Sgt Gunner is on the right... Sir Chester on the left.

View attachment 1412266

As I posted last, I took this picture of Sgt Gunner after our last hike on our most recent, four night trip... Gunner did great... He actually outran Chester, toward the end of our last hike.

View attachment 1412276

But, Gunner has had a couple of "lost" episodes in the last couple of weeks... He would come in the house and act like he didn't know where he was. I suspected the onset of dementia, he is after all 11, so I took him to the vet two days ago.

His blood work showed low red blood cells and high bilirubin... The sign of something serious... Like hemangiosarcoma ( Golden Retrievers are susceptible to blood borne, splenic tumors).

Today, he had an ultrasound and two radiographs and his liver is completely covered in small tumors... To the point that it can't be resected. His spleen has a few tumors as well and something is bleeding into his abdomen... Could be the liver or the spleen, or both.

It's very aggressive and the vet says he probably has a month or less...

We lost a 13 year old female GR to this abdominal bleed out, years ago, and we didn't know she was sick until her abdomen became extremely distended one day... She died before daylight the next day... So, I don't think Gunner has a month left.

We'll be going bush as often as he feels up to it.

I'm not looking for pity, I've lost a lot of great best friends in my life... I've made daBoise a large part of my MUD persona and felt I needed to let everyone know what's going on.

Gunner is special though... He was born on Veterans' Day (11/11), 2005 and I was diagnosed with prostate cancer on Dec 18, 2005. I had a 4-month injection of Lupron Depot, to kill my testosterone and shrink my prostate. This shot put me into full blown menopause (hot flashes, night sweats, night chills, depression, crying jags, mood swings, the whole enchilada). Gunner slept on my chest and nursed me through it all. He also nursed me through the recovery from the subsequent surgery.

I wish I could nurse him through this, but I can't... So, we will give him the best quality of life, we can, for the time he has left.
:cry:

Gunners lived the life a dog or person could dream of. Treat him to some nice meals and sunshine.

Sorry you have to cross that bridge. I hate to think of how Ill hold up when its time for me to cross with my best friend. I just make sure I give my little guys the best possible life I can. Ive learned they value me laying on the floor at their level and spending time with them more than most things. They are great little friends that help us through life.

Danny I'm so sorry to learn of Gunners condition. He has had a good home, a good friend and a good companion. Overall his had a good run and has been a blessing in return.

Sorry to read this Danny, I know how you feel right now.
However, as hard as it is, you have a chance to say goodbye.
Enjoy the time you still have together.:cry:

There's a country song in there somewhere!!

I realized, as I wrote it, that it sounded like Gunner watched "Lost"... Let me know if you can coax that song out of there.

Don't cry for us, Argentina...

On July 11, 2014, we lost Mr Parker (Gunner's) uncle-brother-friend to a basketball sized sarcoma on his spine. It showed up and reached that size in two weeks.

Parker lived another month and (Dianna was in Austin to nurse our daughter, after her surgery) Parker put his head in my lap and told me he was ready. So, Gunner and I grilled ribeyes and baked potatoes and we three chowed down. Then, I gave Parker his last Orange Dreamsicle, the next morning, before taking him to the vet.

Very sorry to hear about your buddy Gunner. I have enjoyed seeing the wonderful adventures you and deBoise. It's awesome to see the bond and great life they have with you.

Thank you!!

The late, great Leonard Cohn said,

"Y’know I was talking with some of the guys . . . some of the guys in the band are kind of over the hill. And they were talking about the various stages that a man goes through in relation to his allure to the opposite sex. It was not a scientific evaluation . . . just something that arose over a cup of coffee.

It went something like this: You start off irresistible. And, then you become resistible. And then you become transparent – not exactly invisible but as if you are seen through old plastic. Then you actually do become invisible. And then — and this is the most amazing transformation — you become repulsive. But that’s not the end of the story. After repulsive then you become cute – and that’s where I am.".

I've been stuck in repulsive for years, with the opposite sex... but, I've noticed a similar phenomena occurs between me and my Golden Retrievers... They start out, finding me irrestible. Then, I slowly become resistible, as their attention wanes. There is no "transparent", but I seem to become invisible at times... Until they think I'm going to do something fun or interesting... Then I become irrestible again.

Gunners lived the life a dog or person could dream of. Treat him to some nice meals and sunshine.

Sorry you have to cross that bridge. I hate to think of how Ill hold up when its time for me to cross with my best friend. I just make sure I give my little guys the best possible life I can. Ive learned they value me laying on the floor at their level and spending time with them more than most things. They are great little friends that help us through life.

Thanks!!

We had pork chops tonight, Gunner loves the other white meat!!

I seem to relate better to my dogs than I relate to people, so we have tons of fun together. They are always ready to do whatever I want to do, whenever I want to do it.

We're going out in a day trip on Friday... I'm going to let him rest tomorrow.

Dianna has decided to do an overnight in my tent on Monday and Dianna does trailer camping, not tent camping!!

We'll take 44 and the four of us will have a grand old time!!

Danny I'm so sorry to learn of Gunners condition. He has had a good home, a good friend and a good companion. Overall his had a good run and has been a blessing in return.

Thanks!!

He's a great guy and I appreciate your kind words!!

Sorry to read this Danny, I know how you feel right now.
However, as hard as it is, you have a chance to say goodbye.
Enjoy the time you still have together.:cry:

Thanks!!

We definitely will!!

...and you're correct... At least we still have time together!!

Danny, see my post in "what did you do to the LC today" in reference to Gunner

So sad and sorry to hear about Gunner

Lot's of strength in the coming days and weeks to Dianna and you

Sorry to hear about Gunner, Danny, but glad to know that he lived a good life and loved/was loved. Can't ask for much more.

Sorry to hear about Gunner. We went through this same situation last month with our dog. They are very special and dear to our hearts. I do believe that there is a special place in heaven for them and we will see them again in time. Our prayers will be with you and your family.

JP

Danny, see my post in "what did you do to the LC today" in reference to Gunner

I did. Thanks Roger!!

So sad and sorry to hear about Gunner

Lot's of strength in the coming days and weeks to Dianna and you

Thank you Eric!! Dianna bedankt u ook!!

Sorry to hear about Gunner, Danny, but glad to know that he lived a good life and loved/was loved. Can't ask for much more.

Thanks Lee!! You really can't ask for more.

Sorry to hear about Gunner. We went through this same situation last month with our dog. They are very special and dear to our hearts. I do believe that there is a special place in heaven for them and we will see them again in time. Our prayers will be with you and your family.

JP

Thank you JP!!

Very sorry for your loss!!

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

So sorry to hear the news Danny. Will keep you in my thoughts...

Thanks Mike!! I appreciate it!!

Sorry to hear about Gunner sir.
I have never had a dog myself, but your posts have been a great reflection of the special bond that has been created between all of you.

Thank you for sharing and give that boy another steak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom