Builds My '78 FJ40 "44" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a tiny stove too for when I need to really get away - but I'm building an overland Suburban with refrigeration, a water tank, stove, etc (think "the Wanderers") so it will have something propane powered. I've thought about repurposing an RV stove - but honestly, I think in my 50 or so years, I've actually used a rv oven once....

Sounds like fun!

I'm told the Camp Chef propane oven works very well. But, when really camping, with Dianna, we bake in a Dutch Oven.

Hope so, but you never know.

I got sick (pleurisy) one time, at 10k' in Colorado and spent half a day at an ER about 3 hours from camp. Afterwards, Dianna said, "Shouldn't we go home (to Texas)?". I said, "I'd rather die here than in Texas!".

Same applies here... I love the emptiness of The Big Empty!

Btw, the day after my ER visit, Dianna broke her wrist and I took her to the same ER (same Dr, same nurse). They set her wrist and told her to go home to Texas and see an orthopedist. She refused and we stayed 8 more days. When we got home, I took her to my orthopedist and they hadn't set her wrist correctly. $34k (insurance paid) surgery and titanium rod and she was good as new.

If I have the room, I do the same Danny. You never know, is right.

Sounds like you have tuff wife. That's great!

If I have the room, I do the same Danny. You never know, is right.

Sounds like you have tuff wife. That's great!

Oh, she's a keeper!!

If I make it back, we'll celebrate 47 years next month.

That means I've had 44 for 3 years!!

first purchase to outfit.... way more then I needed, but a single, 100w solar panel will run it and it was a warehouse deal from Amazon...

Great! I just use a Bison (cheaper than a Yeti, but holds the cold) 25qt ice chest .

I have a 90watt solar panel, with charge controller, that I'm going to mount to 44's roof rack, as a tertiary means of charging 44's battery. It's a bit of overkill, but I own it and no longer use it with my trailer, so...

Edit: what brand is that fridge and his many watts does it draw?

Mark (@65swb45) and I found a place to stash supplies. I've fashioned a 2-dog travois to drag stuff up there, but I'm not sure they can get up that grade with my futon o_O

You can keep that one for yourself.:p I would never pick a stash spot you could see from the road.

You know, if you didn't unpack so often, you wouldn't have to repack so often!:idea:

I am so jonesing to get out again. I cancelled my week long Death Valley trip 'cause of the weather. If the tenants move out of the house next week like they're supposed to, my play time is shot.

@65swb45 Mark I imagine you are getting the same wind and drizzle we have here in Arizona? I am planning a Death Valley adventure for next winter or maybe @pngunme a Nevada adventure if Danny could show me around

@65swb45 Mark I imagine you are getting the same wind and drizzle we have here in Arizona? I am planning a Death Valley adventure for next winter or maybe @pngunme a Nevada adventure if Danny could show me around

You're going to get that engine dirty?

:p

Ha ha oh yes-been wrenching for too long, have several outings planned;):beer:

You can keep that one for yourself.:p I would never pick a stash spot you could see from the road.

You know, if you didn't unpack so often, you wouldn't have to repack so often!:idea:

I am so jonesing to get out again. I cancelled my week long Death Valley trip 'cause of the weather. If the tenants move out of the house next week like they're supposed to, my play time is shot.

I was joking Mark! I ain't dragging no futon up there :cool:

I had to unpack/repack to get the dirt out of the back. She was sagging from the weight! :rolleyes:

DaBoise and I had a great trip, but came home a couple of days early after 16 degrees last night, with a wind chill of 6 degrees. We were very warm in the tent last night, but it sure was cold this morning, with the wind still blowing!!

We found a great, isolated place to camp, but had to climb a couple of steep hills (~50 degrees) to get here... It's an old two-track that hadn't been used in some time. We hiked quite a bit out of there, but ran into a 30' deep drainage, with vertical walls and couldn't find a way around it.

Pictures are from my iPhone, not the best quality, but here ya go

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It was almost 90 here yesterday... Don't you miss Texas in February Danny? Was great weather for painting parts with the spray bomb though...

Looks like y'all had a blast out there!

It was almost 90 here yesterday... Don't you miss Texas in February Danny? Was great weather for painting parts with the spray bomb though...

Looks like y'all had a blast out there!

I don't actually miss Texas at all ... The humidity was killing me!!

The weather here is great this time of year, but some norther blew in on us, where we were camped, yesterday.

I have warm clothes to hike in, so that was fine... And sleeping was fine.

But, I don't like going to bed at 4:30pm :cool:

DaBoise look happy, looks like a great time. All but waking up in freezing temps.....bet you got dressed in a hurry! Makes me shiver just thinking about it. Your right about those bugs, we haven't had a winter this year. Don't remember how many days below freezing but, I know not enough.

Last edited:
DaBoise and I had a great trip, but came home a couple of days early after 16 degrees last night, with a wind chill of 6 degrees. We were very warm in the tent last night, but it sure was cold this morning, with the wind still blowing!!

We found a great, isolated place to camp, but had to climb a couple of steep hills (~50 degrees) to get here... It's an old two-track that hadn't been used in some time. We hiked quite a bit out of there, but ran into a 30' deep drainage, with vertical walls and couldn't find a way around it.

Pictures are from my iPhone, not the best quality, but here ya go

View attachment 1408913 View attachment 1408914 View attachment 1408915 View attachment 1408917

View attachment 1408922

16 degrees qualifies as a THREE DOG NIGHT! DaBoise probably thought you weren't keeping up your end of the bargain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom