Builds My 40 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wait a minute...where in Missouri are you and what kind of things are you giving away? I’m in Oklahoma but free is free and worth a trip sometimes.

Sorry but your too late. Almost all of the 40 stuff is gone.

I am a hoarder. Had over 4000sq ft of garage space packed full of car stuff. With the volume of stuff I have accumulated over the years its time to thin it down or I guess I should say, get rid of everything I will not use. Just can't take much with us when we retire in Finland.

Sorry but your too late. Almost all of the 40 stuff is gone.

I am a hoarder. Had over 4000sq ft of garage space packed full of car stuff. With the volume of stuff I have accumulated over the years its time to thin it down or I guess I should say, get rid of everything I will not use. Just can't take much with us when we retire in Finland.

Dang! Thanks for letting me know though. If you find more 40 parts you’re going to throw away/give away let me know.

Finally moved the 40 off the lift and shoved it next to the wall. The question is..........

1) is this just another place to work on it

2) is this the final resting place before it goes to Land Cruiser Heaven

3) is this where someone wants it more than I

Last edited:
Heres a gas tank I bought last year. Several coats of paint was covering thin spots. Could not find anybody that would work on it so I cut it apart. The new tank I bought probably wont allow the fuel pump module, I bought for the other tank, to fit in it. So there will be a slight problem installing the EFI.

Last edited:
Yea you've taken on a huge project.

Not nearly as huge as this one. Did it in 4 years. 1947 chevy with a 5.3, 4l60e, mustang II front suspension plus body work, etc. Could not find finished pics so here is what I started and a couple during building. So I have no idea why after all these years I still have not been able to get the 40 driveable.

Last edited:
I dont mean to offend, but man... you're all over the place on this thing.

Start on one end and work the other direction. Make a step by step battle plan and attack it one item at a time. You'll know what all needs to be done, and you'll have visible progress as you check each item off the list. Then you won't get so burnt out.

You can do this, man. But work smarter, harder.

Last edited:
If you get it clean, I’d love know what works for you. Currently, I’m pulling out of my return line. My suction line is clogged.

I used 4 gallons white vinegar and filled the tank with water. After setting a few days I dried it out and then put some diesel fuel in it to prevent rust. All the rust is gone but there is some staining of the metal.

Almost ready to start :). Ran the AFI harness today. Made a list of modifications needed to the wiring. Now to pull the 40 harness and mate it to the AFI harness. Probably will remove the split loom and tape it up like the original wiring was done.

Last edited:
I really want to do a TBI upgrade. It's next on my list.

Your engine and engine bay are looking good. Good work!

Somewhere in my mess I should have some aluminum valve covers. Debating weather to polish it or leave it natural.

I went with tbi mainly because there will be several different drivers. The kids have never drove anything with a carb. So with a manual choke I saw the engine being ran with it half out and the black smoke belching out the tail pipe.

Somewhere in my mess I should have some aluminum valve covers. Debating weather to polish it or leave it natural.

I went with tbi mainly because there will be several different drivers. The kids have never drove anything with a carb. So with a manual choke I saw the engine being ran with it half out and the black smoke belching out the tail pipe.

My vote is to polish the valve cover.

And whether someone has driven a carbuerated vehicle or not is sort of irrelevant i think. A lot of guys here run carbs because it's original or whatever, but in these trucks, you really get better performance with a fuel injection. Maybe on a 600hp motor, you might lose 10 or 12 peak HP, but when your working with a 150hp motor at best, you'll see a lot of driveability and MPG increase.

And whether someone has driven a carbuerated vehicle or not is sort of irrelevant i think.

Apparently the oil light was also irrelevant when we were picking up pieces of pistons, rods and the block on the road a couple years ago just a few miles south of Oulu Finland. This is what I will have to contend with.

Apparently the oil light was also irrelevant when we were picking up pieces of pistons, rods and the block on the road a couple years ago just a few miles south of Oulu Finland. This is what I will have to contend with.

Sounds like more of an issue with training, than with equipment hahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom