My 06 LC Manual swap build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
Just wanted to start with a thanks to all the Mud members for all the valuable info on here.
I have always been a fan of Toyotas from my first camry to different pickups, 4runners, land cruisers, supras and especially lexus SCs.

I always find myself wanting a manual transmission and there aren't any good options for 100 series so I decided to put one together.
Started with a 2006 LC that had a swapped engine from a tundra in it that had some issues.
Swapped that block out for a lower mileage 4runner vvti block, new headgaskets, new timing belt, waterpump, oil pump, seals etc..
The new engine runs great and I prefer having a JDM block back in there again.

Refreshed most of the front end, new steering rack from toyota, rebuilt the CVs w/ toyota kit, brakes, aftermarket upper control arms, alignment set back to oem with the lift.
Installed 2" Ironman Foam cell lift and its starting to look better. I put new carpet and seat leathers on my projects to refresh the interior.

PXL_20220812_154124258.jpg

Now on to the manual stuff. The transmission used is a brand new Aisin unit in the family of R series transmissions and has all the current updates.
I wanted a setup that I could use the stock full time transfer case with, and this setup retains the factory 100 series transfer case.
I also fully rebuilt the transfer case while I had everything out including a new actuator, and it feels brand new again and much tighter all around.

Custom shifter setup/extensions and more are needed in the 100 series chassis but everything came out looking like stock and has a great shift feel.
I sourced a new LHD manual shifter plate from overseas to add the finishing touch to it. Seat heater buttons fit and work like stock.

PXL_20221118_213514899.jpg

PXL_20221118_213456948.jpg

I have been driving it around and it feels so much peppier as a manual especially behind the vvti 2uz.
It took a little getting used to but I can say it is the best land cruiser setup I have ever driven so far!

How it's looking more recently
PXL_20221209_220739934.jpg

Last edited:
this is awesome, interested in learning more about how you did this and details of the custom work needed

Had to chime in on my brothers project. Having had a few 100s I always lusted for a manual one like the Middle East ones. After driving this one I can say it lived up to all my expectations and then some😁.

Have seen him put a lot of work into this truck and making the manual swap seamless and everything like a-track abs etc work. It is a blast to drive now and feels so much more responsive. Can’t wait to do more testing 😁

Everything works like stock as far as I can tell, no lights on the dash and no transmission related codes coming up anymore.
It took a lot of time and effort to get everything to work together just right, but I think it was worth it.
Gear ratios are 3.83, 2.33, 1.44, 1.00, 0.79. for reference the 5 speed automatic is 3.52, 2.04, 1.40, 1.0, 0.72.
So 1st and 2nd are even higher which makes it a fun driver even with how heavy the vehicle is.

What?! How cool is this! And in Denver too! I would not argue if you randomly stopped by the ADGU shop to show that thing off...

Is the clutch normal feeling? Springy like the earlier pickups? That seems like such an odd experience driving a big [semi-modern] SUV with a manual.

Neo, the console in the 100 seems to sit pretty high so to me it felt like it needed more of a car shifter setup with a shorter shifter versus the typical truck position where you have a lower console and the tall shifter like on a 60 or even a 80. That oem one looks very tall to me, when I have my arm on the armrest my hand lines up with the shifter just right height and length wise. That being said I could make it look like the oem one.

I used more of a car shifter extension that keeps the throw shorter and more crisp feeling, like a newer r154 or ar5 type setup vs the older r150 truck feel if that makes sense. lots of ways to try and do it.

Id also note that I think the oem manual trucks came with a part time transfer case, so they have the h2-h4 and l4 pattern on them if I am remembering correctly.
This setup retains the full time case which makes it feel wise more like the newer FJ manual setup which has a full time case behind it.

suprarx7nut, I will try and stop by sometime. The clutch feels good, it is similar to the toyota trucks I have driven, maybe not quite as soft but not too stiff either.
It takes some getting used to but it has plenty of torque so it's pretty fun to drive, it almost makes the hundo feel more nimble dare I say :).
I'll try and get a driving video soon.

There are different ways to do it with the ecu, few different methods to try and trick the ecu and ones like having it in neutral generally result in some other codes down the line, has been a learning process for sure. There are some options for simulating the transmission to the ecu, and others for tuning some of the newer uz ecus also. I have a setup that is working but I am also looking into additional ones to see which one is best at this point.

Connecting the transmission to the engine is similar to a sc400 mechanically, but everything else isn't and the ecu's on the 2uz are much smarter obd wise.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but it seems that there is an adapter piece that normally goes between the 2uz and the oem manual transmission. It makes the bellhousing sort of step out so you can use a larger flywheel 10.5"+ and clutch setup like a 1fz. This adapter is needed because the back of the 2uz has a smaller bellhousing pattern more similar to a 2jz in size (not pattern) that can accept like a 9.5" clutch disc max (around 240mm). This elusive adapter piece also adds length to the overall combo, and the H series is overall bigger than an R series I think (I don't have an H series transmission just what I gathered so far from research).

So basically everything in the oem setup is longer, so when doing a conversion with the R series transmissions we can get and have adapters for, you end up with needing a 6-7" shifter extension which is pretty long. I ended up adapting a toyota remote shifter housing and then used a straight toyota shifter with a small bend welded into it so I could keep a crisp shifter feel. Just welding the shifter would not have worked well and needs some kind of remote shifter setup.

Similar R series 1uz and 3uz manual swaps run a stronger PP and organic single disc with a push conversion using a hydraulic throw out bearing, and if you have turbo/SC power there are more aggressive discs or twin discs so the smaller flywheel is not a big deal, plenty of big power 2JZ's with a similar size flywheel.

I'm guessing some of you will recognize what transmission it is. Here it is brand new with the LC transfer case adapter mocked up loosely.

PXL_20220315_232953019.jpg

You can see the shifters are pretty far apart, and the manual shifter needs to come up around where the transfer case shifter is in the photo.
This pic is with the adapter and extension housing but before I welded a small bend in the shifter to be centered in the oem manual LHD console

PXL_20220715_173543535.jpg

This ended up working out well and has a tighter shift feel than the original shifter.
I am sure others will come up with different kind of extensions, and after that you have to deal with mounting the transfer case shifter and a bunch of little stuff.

Very clean. Very cool. Good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom