My 05 LX470 build thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New issue, losing coolant.
1- Need to figure out what the cheapest "pink" coolant I can get is without messing things up
2- Need to stop the coolant bleed

Clues:
View attachment 3574140View attachment 3574139
As an aside, the OEM "constant-tension" clamps are superior to worm-gear type: they don't dig/cut the hose in the same way, and they maintain their tension throughout a range of temperatures/pressures. I'd suggest that the worm gear clamps are at least part of the problem.

The cooling system on these vehicles has a lot of extra capacity from the factory, but if ignored over time becomes the weak link for engine longevity. If it happens at speed, you won't know that you've blown a hose/tee/rad etc. until it's too late (warped heads).

IMO, given the age of these vehicles, one should expect to replace every coolant hose, clamp, radiator, and t-stat with OEM as part of baselining, if not already done.

Poll. Do you think the Techron killed my fuel pump
out of curiosity I double checked AA for red coolant. No longer carry Zerex. Went to Peak and Prestone.
Peak went up to $21/gal and Prestone is on sale for $18. Guess it's not much cheaper than Toyota coolant anymore.
Got a jug of pink stuff from Toyota for $23. I think I got the nice guy discount.
Also, a new wheel lock was $40 flat

Fun question. So after my AHC was removed, and before I took out the control & ECU for it, I had a stupid moment where I pressed the AHC button.......... I'm guessing the heim joint extended and thats causing my clunk. I still have this bracket intact. Should I remove it to try and relieve my clunk?

Screen Shot 2024-03-05 at 7.49.14 PM.png

Looks like old cv grease. When a boot lets go it'll sling it everywhere, and there's a lot of it.
Sorry that’s not a pic of my truck. I was watching videos about the part that I suspected to be the issue

Dropped it off at the mechanic. Two distinct sounds. A clunk- he thinks a wheel bearing, despite the PO saying it was replaced 2019, and only 1000 miles put on since, and a clink, unknown.

As suspected, a bad wheel bearing. Going to let him do that for me, and the clink sound was the AHC stuff rattling, and a heat shield.

Odd that a wheel bearing failed after less than 5 years and only about 1000 miles . Sometimes I feel like the maintenance records I got were a little lacking. Live and learn....

Mechanic called me. Stabilizer bar is rusted out. Sway bar links are just hanging out there. Thanks a lot P.O.

Surface rust my ass!
Big deal!
As long as you have no-through rust solid frame and body, the rest is just a matter of money and elbow grease.
Once you have rusty frame or body, thats a LOT of money and a MASTODONTICO amount of work.

Mechanic called me. Stabilizer bar is rusted out. Sway bar links are just hanging out there. Thanks a lot P.O.

Surface rust my ass!
Speaking of rust.
Everyone who has 100 series knows what are those:
IMG_3395.jpeg

Got it used, in excellent shape. Sandblasted, painted with mastercoat and permatex on top.
Next step is to install it.

What is that?
Just had to stop in and say I love the name "roadsalt" I think that is hilarious, living in Boston I am also aware of the road salt lmao

What is that?
Fuel tank protector with bands that holding the fuel tank in place.
And rear bumper upper support.
I also have lower support (not on pics).
Those parts usually rusted all the way through. For some unknown for me reason those stamped sheets of metal cost new like a Boeing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom