Builds Mudhorn’s build thread - ‘16 GX460 premium (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you. I’m sure am happy with it. When the rig was stock and I was trying to envision it, wasn’t quite too sure how it would turn out. But I’m loving it now.

Yea it's hard to look at these trucks in stock form and see the potential. When we first got ours I had very little desire or passion for the build because they look so awful in stock trim. It'll never be the aggressive, rugged, manly looking SUV I want it to be but they do look a hell of a lot better modified.

That is a very clean setup for a swing-out spare and keeping a stock looking rear.
I imagine you could also frabicate a bracket to the ladder to carry a Hi-Lift jack when needed.
Thumbs up on all your pic's! 👍

That is a very clean setup for a swing-out spare and keeping a stock looking rear.
I imagine you could also frabicate a bracket to the ladder to carry a Hi-Lift jack when needed.
Thumbs up on all your pic's! 👍
yes that was my thought as well for the ladder. There’s also enough room to possibly do a mount on the other side for traction boards as well. Just have to figure out the details.

I couldn’t drive it much with just the lift. Tires were rubbing the body mount.

Curious about needing a BMC due to 285’s on -10et. I’m running 285/65/18 on stock wheels with 1.25” spacers which nets et20 and I’m not running into any rubbing issues.

Curious about needing a BMC due to 285’s on -10et. I’m running 285/65/18 on stock wheels with 1.25” spacers which nets et20 and I’m not running into any rubbing issues.

could be tire brand difference or the difference in tire placement with the spacers. I was definitely rubbing.

Got to extending the wire if on my back up camera. Had some 18g primary wire laying around just cut the factory camera harness where there was 4 wires and extended to the length I needed. I picked up wiring loom as for it all covered up and zip tied.
Went to Home Depot and picked up some Simpson strong ties that would/could work as a camera hood. Still need to move it and make a few adjustment before painting but it works. Camera still picks up a little bit of the rim but at least I can see what’s behind me.

52CFEF0F-6E8A-474E-9385-85BAFE912BEC.jpeg

74D4FB42-F0D2-41D2-8F16-CB3961C8E726.jpeg

6273B046-AE41-464C-BF25-9B83D86A66C3.jpeg

0893AB9F-33E6-43F8-8F51-C6420766F3B2.jpeg

Had to relocate my camera as well. I mounted on the bottom of my jerry can mount.
I first used an old USB cable I had lying around but the wires were too thin and had very poor reception.
Went to Lowe's and picked up a length of heavier gauge 4 strand wire and it works great!
You can see how I went about it here: Builds - R2M 2013 GX460 Overland Build
Starting on post # 77.
This is just the old USB. I didn't bother to post when I swapped out the wire.

Just received a replacement license plate light. It works now! Got one off amazon for cheap.
LED License Plate Light for... Amazon product ASIN B07937BQYJ
Pretty easy set up. I simply extended one set of the factory plate light wires so that it was long enough to make it reach where I wanted it. I used solder heat shrink connectors and the worked out well too.

120PCS Solder Seal Wire... Amazon product ASIN B07S62KYSL
I also used a simple two wire water proof connector for the ends do I could unplug it if I want to move the plates. Right now it’s ok there since I don’t have a roof rack yet.

D2BDB1F8-757B-456E-A7EE-0BA181ACAECD.jpeg

1237390A-4528-4076-B19D-59D40ADED624.jpeg

059204FC-98F4-4847-86D4-6C3E7D93BAC3.jpeg

E6E604BA-B919-438A-A043-D37130E401E0.jpeg

Reactions: r2m
Yea, something I need to do. Just haven't gotten 'round to it. I'll probably wait until I get pulled over for not having a license plate light.

Yea, something I need to do. Just haven't gotten 'round to it. I'll probably wait until I get pulled over for not having a license plate light.

lol that’s funny. Back in my tuner days, I got pulled over for plate lights being out but of course that was just an excuse for them. Learned my lesson.

Just an update on the carrier. I added another set of bolt, bushing, washer and nut to get a another contact point for the hatch bracket. Now the carrier is extremely stable and almost zero wiggle up and done on the tire. I’ve also blacked out the chrome trim with black vinyls. Bonus was having a little extra time and I was able to take the band saw to the old reflector light to fill in the hole. It may not be the prettiest but it works for now.

C81DC6DB-98BF-47A9-B294-C64B75D05694.jpeg

F0F9FE44-C124-4C0A-8494-4B88C1C88958.jpeg

25DAE76E-2C39-491E-95E8-38F5792C5352.jpeg

E6FB3A52-6412-45A8-9610-D967E5184374.jpeg

Next up is hopefully a roof rack, winch or power tank air system. For a roof rack I’m trying to decide between a prinsu, see if JW actually releases a 460 rack orrrrrr see if I can get a gobi rack to fit and have someone custom fab the feet for it.

Next up is hopefully a roof rack, winch or power tank air system. For a roof rack I’m trying to decide between a prinsu, see if JW actually releases a 460 rack orrrrrr see if I can get a gobi rack to fit and have someone custom fab the feet for it.

Pretty sure I just saw JW with an IG post hinting about the rack coming soon earlier today. LFD is releasing one later this year as well.

Pretty sure I just saw JW with an IG post hinting about the rack coming soon earlier today. LFD is releasing one later this year as well.
Yeah I saw that too. Been bugging them for a while since they’ve hinted at it when the 470 one released. Love the price point. We’ll see.

Just an update on the carrier. I added another set of bolt, bushing, washer and nut to get a another contact point for the hatch bracket. Now the carrier is extremely stable and almost zero wiggle up and done on the tire. I’ve also blacked out the chrome trim with black vinyls. Bonus was having a little extra time and I was able to take the band saw to the old reflector light to fill in the hole. It may not be the prettiest but it works for now.

View attachment 2327121

View attachment 2327122

View attachment 2327123

View attachment 2327124
That came out VERY clean!
Looks like if you ever lose your day job cause of COVID-19, you have a backup income!! I'm sure many would love such an option.

If you're looking at the Gobi, take a look also at the Gamiviti: Roof Racks — Gamiviti
I really like mine and Tim is very easy to work with and many options to boot! It keeps a low profile while still being able to have a LED light bar on front, proximity lights on the sides and flat on top for a RTT or whatever.

View attachment 1906056

Dear God please don't entertain Gobi; so many options out there. It's looking good what you've done. Is your title supposed to be Lord of the Flies or Lord of the Ashes?? :D

lol

I decided to go with Ironman for my lift kit. I liked that they were beefier than others and for a good price range too. Went with the foam cell pros front and rear.

I haven't had to lift a vehicle yet. Today is the first time I have done research. I read some good things about foam cell. How do you like them, are you happy.

I'm researching and planning now.

Last edited:
I haven't had to lift a vehicle yet. Today is the first time I have done research. I read some good things about foam cell. How do you like them, are you happy.

I'm researching and planning now.

mom happy with them. They’re my first lift done on any rig. I thought the cost was good for the quality you get. I did the lift before I had decided to go with a front bumper so now there’s sag in the front. I’m still needed to get a coil wrench in order to adjust the coils to compensate.

mom happy with them. They’re my first lift done on any rig. I thought the cost was good for the quality you get. I did the lift before I had decided to go with a front bumper so now there’s sag in the front. I’m still needed to get a coil wrench in order to adjust the coils to compensate.

They are sold out of the 600lb rear coils and the front prebuilts. What weight did you choose for the front-stock, 0-110, or 110 to 220?

I'm thinking 220, a winch feels like 100 alone :)

The only difference I can see between the stage 1 and 2 is the control arm. Which I think an adjustable SPC is the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom