Mountain Bikes - show/tell me how you lug yours around! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, it's mostly custom, but the baskets that hold the wheels I stole from my 5 bike Recon rack.

Here's a picture of the rack. It's pretty much just a 2" square "T". The baskets bolt in on the top. The rear wheel slots into that little aluminum "U" near the bottom, and right now I just wrap a little strap around the tire/rack (need to put a permanently mounted rubber strap on here). I used the same basket to rear wheel slot geometry as the Recon rack. (Note, only one of the rear wheel slots is currently installed - the second one will be mirrored on the right side of the vertical tube once I get around to it). The flange at the base with 4 bolts is so I can bolt different attachments onto the swing out. Please excuse the lack of paint.

I haven't seen anywhere that sells just the wheel baskets - that's the only hard part of this whole thing. I want to put my Recon rack back together so I can sell it, so I'll probably end up building my own wheel baskets at some point.

View attachment 2864126
Very cool. Thanks for sharing the details!

Awesome. I've been wanting to build a single like that to mount on a spare time swing-out for my barn door 80.
Same here, but on my Troopy's small door, opposite the spare tire.

Same here, but on my Troopy's small door, opposite the spare tire.
I want to keep the small door clear to have quick access to the fridge that I have on that side.

Good idea, I have a fridge on the small door side as well. Do you have a spare on the large door side, or is it under the truck? I have a spare on the large door side, and if I add a rack to the same side as the tire, then it'll protrude further (or is it farther?), but probably not as far (must be farther) as my Thule T2 does now...

Good idea, I have a fridge on the small door side as well. Do you have a spare on the large door side, or is it under the truck? I have a spare on the large door side, and if I add a rack to the same side as the tire, then it'll protrude further (or is it farther?), but probably not as far (must be farther) as my Thule T2 does now...
Nothing yet. Planning on getting a bumper with one swingout on the large door side.

So, it's mostly custom, but the baskets that hold the wheels I stole from my 5 bike Recon rack.

Here's a picture of the rack. It's pretty much just a 2" square "T". The baskets bolt in on the top. The rear wheel slots into that little aluminum "U" near the bottom, and right now I just wrap a little strap around the tire/rack (need to put a permanently mounted rubber strap on here). I used the same basket to rear wheel slot geometry as the Recon rack. (Note, only one of the rear wheel slots is currently installed - the second one will be mirrored on the right side of the vertical tube once I get around to it). The flange at the base with 4 bolts is so I can bolt different attachments onto the swing out. Please excuse the lack of paint.

I haven't seen anywhere that sells just the wheel baskets - that's the only hard part of this whole thing. I want to put my Recon rack back together so I can sell it, so I'll probably end up building my own wheel baskets at some point.

View attachment 2864126

@thegadgetguy - like it, bigtime!

For people who like vertical hangers like a North Shore, your way is tits for a swingout bumper.

I built about an exact N.S. ”tribute” ;) - that sees use on my Tundra now as I’m far less concerned over Tundra replacement than my 80.

Like the Tundra, but the 80 is a “lifer“ -body even if I need a Chev V8 in it when 1FZ support fails. I H8 leaving it at trailheads.

@thegadgetguy , Thanks for the extra pic and info, This is very similar to the idea I have to update mine to some thing that dose not require front wheel removal. So far the hardest part is trying to find the wheel baskets on there own.
287BB4C4-62B5-4884-9210-2A0EC9709388.jpeg

Last edited:
I wonder if Luke at 4x4 Labs would make an equivalent? Would be a great addition to his DIY bumper kits.

@4x4labs

I originally planned to go vertical like that off my 4x4 Labs but just couldn’t deal with the total height with front wheel on. I’m still a believer of horizontal off the swing arm. Post #160. No regrets. And I see a few others have worked out similar solutions since.

I originally planned to go vertical like that off my 4x4 Labs but just couldn’t deal with the total height with front wheel on. I’m still a believer of horizontal off the swing arm. Post #160. No regrets. And I see a few others have worked out similar solutions since.

@Corbet , You have a very nice setup, I like it. I remember seeing it when you originally posted. I think there are pros and cons to each, depending on what you are looking for. I might end up trying a tray style sometime in the future, but for now this is meeting my needs.

i love my 1up racks but i just ordered a fat tire spacer. shipping these days is killer. i paid $25 to ship a $35 dollar piece! inprobably could have made something cheaper but my time i guess is worth it these days.

I’ve wanted to do a swingout receiver to mount my bike rack and it finally became a reality thanks to my buddy @Hyup who did the kick ass welding job.
38E873CB-2ECA-4FD8-8801-2F479C6C6359.jpeg
A763BA86-FC6D-485E-8E26-684747A53A14.jpeg
FB44D276-DA61-4ED9-B758-513193D970B0.jpeg

1up to a 12” Curt receiver to the Slee

It reminds me of an old expression:

Tail wagging the dog!😛

My rack has been on my mind this last week, as I’m contemplating taking my mountain bike with me to Death Valley. Over a 100 miles of washboard road, the kind that makes driveshaft bolts come loose. I’m uncertain about doing it with ONE bike. Three makes me shudder.

It reminds me of an old expression:

Tail wagging the dog!😛

My rack has been on my mind this last week, as I’m contemplating taking my mountain bike with me to Death Valley. I’m uncertain about doing it with ONE bike. Three makes me shudder.

Something I see & esp like is that fishplate on the arm tying to the 12” receiver tube.
Devil in the details & such.

Like you say, washboard roads can really generate some force, and w/o that true ~1/4” plate welded to both I could easily see this type mod cracking welds.

Thought I’d point out that plate seeing as many broken welds in life as I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom