Builds Moonshine - A Build Thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While I had the shafts out, I decided I wanted to check my repaired bearing race and compare the 60 FF hub to the IFS hub to see if they could be used. Bearing race still looks perfect ( thank god ) and it turns out that the IFS hub is indeed narrower than the 60 series FF hub. Everything except that looks great so I need to see if I can have a hub flange spacer made that will make the hub the same length as the 60 FF hub so I can gain the extra offset. Does anyone have thoughts on making a hub flange spacer? Will it compromise the strength of the hub? I don't see why it wouldn't work...

Here are pictures of the measurements. The IFS hubs have 2" more offset than the 60 FF hubs but the 60 FF hubs are 1" longer in overall length.

IFS hub overall length - 4.5"
IMG_0376.JPG

60 FF hub overall length - 5.5"
IMG_0377.JPG

IFS hub WMS offset - 4"
IMG_0378.JPG

60 FF WMS offset - 2"
IMG_0379.JPG

In conclusion, if I can effectively make a hub spacer and weld it onto a pair of IFS hubs, I can bolt this setup onto my FF axle and gain 4" of width. Do that front and rear and the truck just gained 4" of width overall. This will definitely happen in the future.

looks cold there...

its 49*F here and thats chilly to me. lol

looks cold there...

its 49*F here and thats chilly to me. lol

I was wearing my work boots, long sleeve underarmor, t-shirt, hoodie and work jeans in the heated garage. Still cold enough to see your breath. At least I wasn't working in the parking lot during a snowstorm like 2 years ago!

Also wanted to give props to Nick for letting me take over his garage for an afternoon. Wouldn't have been able to do it without you man, thank you!!!

Looking at the 60 FF hub again, it appears that there is a seam about an inch down from the hub mounting surface. Is it possible that the 60 FF hub is a factory modified ( lengthened ) front axle hub? If true then my spacer idea would work well for the IFS hubs.

I dont see any reason you couldnt run a spacer of some sort either by bolt on somehow or weld together. Just make sure it is attached well.

I dont see any reason you couldnt run a spacer of some sort either by bolt on somehow or weld together. Just make sure it is attached well.

I'm thinking add a couple of dowel pins to the IFS hub and machine a spacer that will press onto the dowel pins. Then it'll be centered and true, lining it up perfectly for welding. Weld it on, then drill and tap for 7/16" allen bolts ala https://forum.ih8mud.com/hardcore-corner/394267-full-floater-hub-stud-upgrade-write-up.html

Sounds good to me!

Ordered some Fluid Film and a spray gun to apply it this year. Today was unusually warm so it was a perfect day to do it. I should have bought the sprayer last year, it was way easier and faster to do it that way instead of brushing it on. Used almost all of my Co2 but it worked well.
IMG_0382.JPG

Picture of Moonshine all ready for the winter:
IMG_0383.JPG

Ever gonna put a winch on that SROR bumper?

Eventually. It's kinda low on the priority list right now. One of my rims leaks 22psi a week so new wheels are up first. I'm thinking beadlocks:cool:

RIG is looking mean bro!!!!

NICEEEE!!!!!!!!!

how long did it take to spray her up?

Any pictures of the Fluid Film applied? I've always been curious what its like when its applied. How thick do you put it on? Is it tacky?

BTW your link in your sig to Big Red doesnt appear to work.

RIG is looking mean bro!!!!

I hear ya. Rig looks great man :clap:

Thanks guys! She's rotting apart but I love the hell out of her.

NICEEEE!!!!!!!!!

how long did it take to spray her up?

Maybe 30 min? Using the spray gun with Co2 is like light speed compared to brushing it on. I have about one spray bottle left and I'm going to spray my g/f's Jetta with the rest of it.

Any pictures of the Fluid Film applied? I've always been curious what its like when its applied. How thick do you put it on? Is it tacky?

BTW your link in your sig to Big Red doesnt appear to work.

To be honest the best description is that it looks like cold maple syrup. Brown and oily. It won't dry all winter so it will stay tacky and because of that it will attract dust and road grime so it'll turn grey / black. It sticks best to bare / rusty metal and will stay on all winter. I spray it all over the truck, rain gutters, cargo windows, hatch, rockers, underbody, bumpers, crossmembers, skidplate, literally everything. It's not particularly thick, just thick enough that I can see it's on. Are you looking for a close up shot?

Thanks for the heads up on the link, fixed it.

Ordered some Fluid Film and a spray gun to apply it this year. Today was unusually warm so it was a perfect day to do it. I should have bought the sprayer last year, it was way easier and faster to do it that way instead of brushing it on. Used almost all of my Co2 but it worked well.
IMG_0382.JPG

Interested in this as well. Will it only last a year or is it like that waxy stuff ?

To be honest the best description is that it looks like cold maple syrup. Brown and oily. It won't dry all winter so it will stay tacky and because of that it will attract dust and road grime so it'll turn grey / black. It sticks best to bare / rusty metal and will stay on all winter. I spray it all over the truck, rain gutters, cargo windows, hatch, rockers, underbody, bumpers, crossmembers, skidplate, literally everything. It's not particularly thick, just thick enough that I can see it's on. Are you looking for a close up shot?

Thanks for the heads up on the link, fixed it.

Thanks, you dont need to take pictures, that description got me the information I wanted. So do you wash it off in the spring? The only thing stopping me from undercoating my vehicles is the fact that it must be such a PITA trying to work on it after you coat it, since everything would be sticky and such.

Interested in this as well. Will it only last a year or is it like that waxy stuff ?

Only lasts a year but at $35 a gallon with the DIY application, I prefer this stuff. You should buy stock in Fluid Film because you're gonna need the stuff every year for your truck when it's done.

BTW, your build is incredible! Ever hang out with the GCLCNY guys? If not, you should start.

Thanks, you dont need to take pictures, that description got me the information I wanted. So do you wash it off in the spring? The only thing stopping me from undercoating my vehicles is the fact that it must be such a PITA trying to work on it after you coat it, since everything would be sticky and such.

I don't bother to wash it off in the spring. By then it's not sticky per say, just grimy. I try to wash her after every time I get her muddy anyway and the first run of the season is usually kinda muddy up this way, so I suppose I wash some of it off. Every time I crawl underneath the truck I get pretty filthy regardless so this stuff doesn't add much more filth anyway. Honestly I didn't even think about it while working on / underneath the truck this summer.

It's non-conductive and non-flammable as well so I spray all electrical connectors underneath the truck as well as my battery terminals and headlight harness. Whatever over-spray gets on the exhaust kinda burns / evaporates off in a small cloud of smoke.

nice one... i cant seem to find a similar product here in norway. i try to spray mine twice a year with chain saw oil, i just drop in a bit of diesel to make it spray easier. i only use it on the frame and body underneath. the diesel smell evaporates after a day or two of driving, then it's only the sticky oil left.

even tough yours are rusty, i can really relate to the love of such a beast.
i hate to take mine out of service for a while, love cruising the 60, but it does need some fix and a new to me 2h now...

Lookin good man!

Thanks man. Still got a lot of stuff to do but that's ok, at least I don't have to re-wire my whole truck:lol:

nice one... i cant seem to find a similar product here in norway. i try to spray mine twice a year with chain saw oil, i just drop in a bit of diesel to make it spray easier. i only use it on the frame and body underneath. the diesel smell evaporates after a day or two of driving, then it's only the sticky oil left.

even tough yours are rusty, i can really relate to the love of such a beast.
i hate to take mine out of service for a while, love cruising the 60, but it does need some fix and a new to me 2h now...

Chain and bar oil is the other, likely cheaper way to do the same thing I have done. I have also seen people use ATF to do the same task but both are flammable. With this stuff I don't care if I spray all over my exhaust.

You need a new 2H? What happened to your current one?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom