Mercedes OM606 turbo Diesel 80 series Land Cruiser (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@anothernord I appreciate the kind words. I've done my best to make it all look like it belongs together and like it belongs under the hood.

@anothernord I appreciate the kind words. I've done my best to make it all look like it belongs together and like it belongs under the hood.

I may have missed it, but do you plan to add A/C?

I was looking at the 1FZ and 606 A/C compressors, and they actually both made by Denso and the pulleys just swap (awesome). I was thinking about mounting the 1FZ compressor on the passenger side of the OM606 and keeping stock Toyota A/C lines rather than making long custom lines to wrap around the OM606 a/c pump.

Seems like it's cheaper to swap a pulled and make a bracket/longer belt than have custom A/C hoses made up.

I may have missed it, but do you plan to add A/C?

I was looking at the 1FZ and 606 A/C compressors, and they actually both made by Denso and the pulleys just swap (awesome). I was thinking about mounting the 1FZ compressor on the passenger side of the OM606 and keeping stock Toyota A/C lines rather than making long custom lines to wrap around the OM606 a/c pump.

Seems like it's cheaper to swap a pulled and make a bracket/longer belt than have custom A/C hoses made up.
@anothernord I am working on getting the AC going. You are correct that both compressors are made by denso. I'm not sure how easily the pulleys would interchange. It would seem that making a bracket for the cruiser compressor would be the best route to simplify AC and again; simplify alternator wiring. The only possible issue I could foresee would be clearance for the alternator on my swap specifically. I chose to keep the adapter plate thinner to keep the flywheel thickness down. In order to get the engine situated neatly it had to be tucked back and didn't really have any room to go toward the passenger side. As is, with the split case the switches are pretty close to the chassis. If I had made it any closer I would have had to angle the engine and transmission. The AC compressor doesn't have a lot of clearence between the steering gear box and compressor as it stands. So, shoving an alternator (larger) in its place is asking for trouble when off-road. I suppose you could completely relocate the alternator and power steering pump etc... but I figured it would be more hassle, time and money than it's worth. I thought about having brackets machined to relocate the AC and alternator, I just don't have the money to go through the development and I don't think my rudimentary CAD skills are quite enough to adequately model brackets.

@anothernord I am working on getting the AC going. You are correct that both compressors are made by denso. I'm not sure how easily the pulleys would interchange. It would seem that making a bracket for the cruiser compressor would be the best route to simplify AC and again; simplify alternator wiring. The only possible issue I could foresee would be clearance for the alternator on my swap specifically. I chose to keep the adapter plate thinner to keep the flywheel thickness down. In order to get the engine situated neatly it had to be tucked back and didn't really have any room to go toward the passenger side. As is, with the split case the switches are pretty close to the chassis. If I had made it any closer I would have had to angle the engine and transmission. The AC compressor doesn't have a lot of clearence between the steering gear box and compressor as it stands. So, shoving an alternator (larger) in its place is asking for trouble when off-road. I suppose you could completely relocate the alternator and power steering pump etc... but I figured it would be more hassle, time and money than it's worth. I thought about having brackets machined to relocate the AC and alternator, I just don't have the money to go through the development and I don't think my rudimentary CAD skills are quite enough to adequately model brackets.

The pulleys do interchange, I tried it out and they are totally swappable. Pretty sweet.

I was actually talking about not moving the alternator, but sticking the A/C compressor above it. It would make the inlet for the stock turbo have to be a close 90° turn, but it may cause issues for a larger turbo in the same spot.

I might whip up a bracket design in the next few weeks. If you're interested I can probably have another one made.

@anothernord , that's good to know and a great idea. I was just looking at some Diesel Pumps UK pictures and apparently they have come up with a lot of stuff this last several months. They made a hybrid out of the stock turbo good for 300bhp. They also made an adapter setup for a GM auto transmission, Nissan patrol transmission and some other stuff. The most notable being a billet alternator mount that moves the alternator to the top of the engine. That gives me an idea for the AC compressor. I guess I will have to go back to the drawing board so to speak. Get a build thread going, I'd like to see what you're up to.

They sure make some shiny parts. That's basically where I'd want to mount the A/C pump. It's good to know that there's some good mounting points up there.

Here's the build thread (haven't updated it in a while)
Build thread: Mercedes OM606 Turbodiesel into FZJ80 with stock trans
Yes, they make some nice billet bits. I wish they'd take my engine block oil drain and make a billet version that has 0 sideways tilt to it and a thicker mounting base. It's nearly impossible to find -12 turbo oil drains which is surprising given the use of holsets on so many different aftermarket builds. Looking at DPUK's bracket, I'm not sure I could use a bracket like that with my turbo; but it doesn't stop me from wanting to try.

Well, it's been a while since my last update. I'm still looking for a place to rent a timing light adapter to get the timing dialed in. I've put a total of about 400 miles on the cruiser with the new engine in it. I haven't done a fuel economy analysis since getting the speedometer dialed in. I have worked a little here and there getting the AC figured out. I made a fitting for the high pressure side of the compressor, I ordered all of the materials I should need to do the rest. I have a fitting and a plan for making the low pressure side of the compressor. I have aluminum U-Bend-Em lines for the firewall and for the condenser. I have bent the condenser line and still have to weld the fitting to it. I will hopefully start next week on the low side fitting and bending that line. I have the yet to complete the cruise control cable. I will probably do that when I remove the intake manifold for AC hose making....easier access for someone with shoulder and back issues.

20180707_152514.jpg

20180707_153552.jpg

20180707_153601.jpg

20180707_153910.jpg

Since the last update I managed to overheat and ruin the condenser fitting while I attempted to "weld" it on using blue demon welding rod. I finally got around to making a new fitting since I can't seem to find one that works as is. I welded that one on successfully as well as silver soldered the low pressure fitting together. I then managed to get the hardline from the evaporator expansion valve made also. All that is left is to get some hoses crimped, get system flushed, install the new dryer and vacuum the system down. Fingers crossed of course that it holds a vacuum. Then it will be time to add oil and refrigerant.

20180801_165406.jpg

20180806_153140.jpg

20180806_153143.jpg

20180806_153151.jpg

20180801_165350.jpg

Well, I went and screwed up the low pressure hardline. I decided to try and bend it closer to 90* and kinked it. I will have to reorder some hardline. I decided this time I will use a 90* fitting at the hose end instead of screwing around with that bend. Meanwhile I've been working on straightening the shifters and getting them correct so I can start on a forward center console. While I was doing that I was struck with an Idea. I have to reach out to the community to see if anyone knows for a fact whether or not the manual transmission 80 series ever had a front Bench seat or split bench. I would then just make a switch and gauge panel that mounts under the edge of the dash, install a new carpet and a transmission shifter boot. Maybe buy a 70 series cup holder.

70seriesCupholder.jpg

Edit/Update:

So poverty pack AUS 80's came with vinyl covered front bench seats...Great news. Bad news is that they're set up for a RHD handbrake. So, I'd have to screw around with that on top of finding, importing and re-covering a bench. I think for the time being I will just either make forward console or just do shifter boots on top of the carpet.

Last edited:
Well, I went and screwed up the low pressure hardline. I decided to try and bend it closer to 90* and kinked it. I will have to reorder some hardline. I decided this time I will use a 90* fitting at the hose end instead of screwing around with that bend. Meanwhile I've been working on straightening the shifters and getting them correct so I can start on a forward center console. While I was doing that I was struck with an Idea. I have to reach out to the community to see if anyone knows for a fact whether or not the manual transmission 80 series ever had a front Bench seat or split bench. I would then just make a switch and gauge panel that mounts under the edge of the dash, install a new carpet and a transmission shifter boot. Maybe buy a 70 series cup holder.

View attachment 1774347

Edit/Update:

So poverty pack AUS 80's came with vinyl covered front bench seats...Great news. Bad news is that they're set up for a RHD handbrake. So, I'd have to screw around with that on top of finding, importing and re-covering a bench. I think for the time being I will just either make forward console or just do shifter boots on top of the carpet.

I read your build thread several times. You did a wonderful conversion ,it really motivates me. I am swapping the Om606 into 07 Hummer H3.
I wonder if you still keep measurement for the adapter plate? I have the same idea using Dakota bellhousing. Thank you

I read your build thread several times. You did a wonderful conversion ,it really motivates me. I am swapping the Om606 into 07 Hummer H3.
I wonder if you still keep measurement for the adapter plate? I have the same idea using Dakota bellhousing. Thank you
Thank you for the kind words, I've sent you a PM regarding the adapter.

How the A/C system working?

I'm trying to figure out whether I should mount my 1FZ compressor above the alternator and sorta be able to re-use the stock A/C hoses, or try what you're doing.

How the A/C system working?

I'm trying to figure out whether I should mount my 1FZ compressor above the alternator and sorta be able to re-use the stock A/C hoses, or try what you're doing.
It's not, I went to get the hoses made and ended up being overly OCD about the angle of the low pressure hardline where it was supposed to connect to the softline....ended up kinking the hardline and had to order another. I haven't got around to bending a new one due to life.

Awesome build and writeup! I've read through it several times and can't wait to some day do mine! Any report on fuel economy and power?

View attachment 1774347

Edit/Update:

I think some Venezuelan 80s had the bench too, and those are Left Hand Drive. I like this build!

Well its been a few years since any sort of update. I'm wondering how the swap has been treating you?

Well its been a few years since any sort of update. I'm wondering how the swap has been treating you?
Apologies, I really haven't been on here much or had a ton of driving around the cruiser due to my job. It was going really well for a while and then the flexplate broke. So I had to replace it, opening up the proverbial can of worms. I decided to redo some wiring and replace the firewall insulator and redo a bunch of little things I wasn't fully pleased with. That included adding intercooler pass through pipes into the front crossmember of the frame and installing a different intercooler now that I have an ARB bumper. That meant turbo mods and new intercooler plumbing etc... a long list that's growing. However, it was driving well until the flexplate. Averaging 24mpg mixed city/highway about 80/20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom