Meet Steve (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

POR15 would ideally WANT the rust to bond to. Not sure how it would adhere to a rust converter. If you decide to try it, maybe run a tape line as low as possible and then use a brush to apply. After it’s dried apply the seam sealer, and then maybe spray the sealer with rattle-can that resembles the factory paint as close as you can find.
Take that with a grain of salt, and maybe others with better ideas will chime in. I’m just thinking do whatever you can do to keep the “repair work” to a visual minimum.
POR15 metal prep is a rust converter. You need to use that or something on rust before applying the POR15. I wouldn’t use just any type of rust converter though. Corroseal for example has a polymer additive which forms a very tough layer which POR15 probably wouldn’t adhere to very well.

Right. The POR15 metal ready is part of its “system”. It’s all in the directions that come with the kit which includes the Marine Clean, Metal Ready, POR15, and solvent. The Metal Ready is described as a “rust remover” similar to the naval jelly and other products that chemically remove it prior to application of POR15. It’s also used to pre-treat clean steel before painting. It’s all about porosity for the POR15 to bite to.
Now it’s occurred to me that Project Wrong Way used POR15 over SEM rust converter. You might shoot him a PM to see how that’s held up.

Heard from Cam, pistons just got in, so engine can proceed
64064339292__1EDA162D-858D-4EB4-8B99-ABFB93FC041E.jpeg
64064337328__625C36D7-CC64-47E4-BE7E-65A2BE77C967.jpeg
IMG_9340.jpeg
supposed to take over a pound from each cylinder-go speed racer!

Today, wife was away at a baby shower, thought I would work on Pig, got 2 coats of POR15 on gutters(stuff is messy, will tape off more area next time), also started painting roof area that was covered in mouse pee rust, looking better. need to get to upholstery shop in a couple weeks for headliner install. picking my work apart, not show and shine material, but then I remembered, this is about preservation. Dont want the next owner calling me an Fn idiot

IMG_3200.jpg

IMG_3201.jpg

Today, wife was away at a baby shower, thought I would work on Pig, got 2 coats of POR15 on gutters(stuff is messy, will tape off more area next time), also started painting roof area that was covered in mouse pee rust, looking better. need to get to upholstery shop in a couple weeks for headliner install. picking my work apart, not show and shine material, but then I remembered, this is about preservation. Dont want the next owner calling me an Fn idiot

View attachment 2655338

View attachment 2655339
Next owner? Are you planning on shipping this Pig?

getting ready for headliner install, started thinking about some sound insulation for roof. The factory pad that was glued on to the roof is gone but i had a hrad time getting it all off, got worried about new not staying up, so today I took some aircraft paint remover and applied to underside of roof, 1/2 hour later, with a little scraping, got most off. now will let dry, sand, prime and paint

Some people would try to pass this off as art! at least in Ca

IMG_3202.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom