LXColorado Builds the Mako (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LXColorado

LX -> LC
Threads
As it sits today...

The Mako:

Suspension:
- OME 2.5" (OME Nitrocharger, springs, and torsion bars), with Slee Diff Drop
- SPC UCA

Wheel/Tire:
- OEM 16"
- 285/75/16 BFG KO2's

Armor:
- ARB front with Slee light bracket
- Slee rear/skids/sliders

Electrical:
- Dual Battery, with IBS monitor
- ARB Twin Compressor (mounted to Slee dual battery mount)
- Quad USB ports/Main and Sec. battery amp display

Lighting:
- Rigid D-Series (DOT)
- Full LED conversion for interior, with red LED in middle row for night
- OWL Expeditions courtesy lights
- HID headlights

Recovery:
- Badlands 12,000 lb. winch w/ steel cable
- Hi-Lift jack

Misc:
- Safari Snorkel
- Diffs/TC/Transmission breathers
- VAIS Technology SL3b-L
- Weather Tech mats and window guards

KMA_0091.jpg

Last edited:
My journey to building the Mako started when I came back to Colorado after my Marine Corps service. While I was stationed in California, I owned a Porsche Boxster. It was prefect for that state, and I truly enjoyed it. But as I quickly realized, a RWD sports car in CO winters doesn't work. I sold the Porsche, bought a 2005 Land Rover LR3 V8, and got to work exploring Colorado. The LR3 was a great intro SUV for me. It had enough off-road capability for me to get my feet wet, and it had everything I needed at the time. One of the great features was the sheer amount of room it had. All the seats folded flat and I was never cramped sleeping in the back. But all good things come to an end.... late one night coming home I hit a deer going ~ 50 mph. I learned how expensive Land Rovers are to fix. Between both airbags deploying, a broken windshield, and surprisingly little front body damage, it was cheaper to junk it than to repair (about $10,000).

Here was the green machine on top of Mosquito "No-Pass", as we called it. Shortly after this picture we tried to cross a snow bank that was a little too deep, and got high centered only to be rescued by a Land Cruiser and a winch :)

1.JPG

Last edited:
Enter the life-changing event of owning a Land Cruiser. I actually was searching for an LR4 before I stumbled upon a used LX470 at the same dealership. I test drove it, and really enjoyed it! One problem right out the gate was the broken AHC. I was able to work out a deal with the dealership to fully swap the AHC with an Old Man Emu, instead of them fixing the AHC. In hindsight, I'm glad I did that. I would eventually throw more weight on the Mako than I would have been comfortable with, with AHC. After waiting about 2 weeks for the dealer to source the OME parts and swap the AHC, the Mako was mine!

2.JPG

Last edited:
I finished the base line just in time for a trip to Zion NP with a buddy. Being used to a Land Rover, I was hesitant for such a long trip right away, but this was my first taste of Toyota reliability. No issues on the almost 1000 mile trip. While there, I managed some light wheeling on BLM land. What an awesome trip. GO TO ZION IF YOU HAVEN'T BEEN!

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

Last edited:
The Mako's first battle wound. I'm ashamed to say this was on a Land Cruiser's primary purpose of mall cruising ;) Someone backed into me while I was trying to find a parking spot. A little elbow grease and some bungee cords, and she's back in action.

7.JPG

Last edited:
As time went on, however, I realized I needed to air down (which I wasn't doing), and needed more tire to more effectively get over obstacles. Enter some 16" LX wheels. I purchased these from another Denver LX'er that upgraded to 18's. I threw on some Goodyear Duratracs. I had these on my LR3, and liked them for their capability in snow and trails.

12.JPG

Last edited:
More tire was definitely better! My first trek on the 16"s was Red Cone Pass. Now, I did this trip solo, and that was a mistake. On the last uphill before reaching the top, there's a gnarly boulder section. I ended up high centering a bit, and had to stack rocks to get over the obstacle - NOT fun above 12,000ft. I cleared it, but not without slamming and bending a rear control arm! 10/10, would recommend.

13.JPG

14.JPG

Last edited:
I replaced the plastic heater T's with brass ones, and replaced the hoses while I was in there.

At this point in time, I had a handheld pump that would run off a 12v cigarette outlet. It took FOREVER to re-inflate the tires after airing them down. Slee was having a deal, where you'd get a second battery tray with the purchase of an ARB twin compressor. SOLD. I didn't need a second battery at that point, but it seconded as a mount for the compressor.

Around the same time, I tried a quick disconnect on the front sway bar. I was spending quite a bit of time on dirt roads and wheeling, so the disconnected sway bar made everything smoother.

Lastly, I built an impromptu, and very short-lived, attic system. Prior to having drawers, I wanted to clean up the rear. I ended up taking it down because it made noise like crazy.

15.JPG

17.JPG

16.JPG

18.JPG

20.JPG

Last edited:
As fun as the 16"s and duratracs were, they really dated the look of the truck. I saw some pictures of Tundra TRD wheels on the forum, and decided to pull the trigger on a local set. It's amazing how many Tundra owners are selling their TRD wheels. For the tires.... I have read enough on iH8MUD to know about KO2's, and let me tell you, they are worth the price of admission. Super quiet on road, and fantastic off road.

More info/pics on Tundra wheels and fitment found here!

Also added around this time was a Safari snorkel, hood blackout, and the red stripe.
28.jpg

Last edited:
Saved #13

EDIT: For some reason, the forum isn't letting me reach my older posts through my profile. It's having me manually search and sift through threads individually. Hopefully, this is temporary. I'm trying to get pictures of the ARB front, ARB Drawers, Slee Sliders, and Slee Armor for the saved slots...

Last edited:
I was delaying installing the Slee rear bumper for a good while. The price tag is definitely off-putting. But after assembling it, it's easier to understand the price justification. This thing is a TANK. It also comes standard with the tire carrier and ladder. The ladder itself has a ton of accessory options, as well. As a friendly piece of advice, have some jacks and another helping hand. I installed it by myself (it's doable), but I wouldn't recommend it.

29.jpg

30.jpg

Last edited:
Someday I will get the ARB Intensity lights, but these Warn lights were too good to pass up (Slee had them on sale). They are HID's with a blueish-white light, but the main selling point for me was the wireless on/off remote! I didn't have to do any serious wiring until I'm ready for the Intensity lights.

31.jpg

Last edited:
I was searching for more info on your build yesterday! I love those TRD wheels on your LX. I would love to learn more about the Quick Disconnect for the Front Sway bar
Have you joined Rising Sun 4x4 in Denver?

Last edited:
Thank you! The TRD wheels really update the 100 series, IMO. Really, the only crappy part was buying the spare wheel from Toyota, because Tundra's apparently don't come with a full size spare. I paid more for one wheel at the dealership than the four all together.

About the quick disco... I removed the bolt holding the sway bar links, and drilled out a 3/8" hole so I could fit the 3/8" metal clasp. Copy and paste for both sides. I bought a rubber strap with s-hooks on the end to hold the sway bar up and out of the way, when disconnected. The real advantage is felt on washboard, and rock crawling. It makes everything smoother as the left and right IFS are actually independent from each other. I haven't noticed any wobbling or clanking from the front sway bar when it's reconnected for on-road use.

I've heard about it, but no I haven't joined! Are you a member?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom