LXColorado Builds the Mako (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you! The TRD wheels really update the 100 series, IMO. Really, the only crappy part was buying the spare wheel from Toyota, because Tundra's apparently don't come with a full size spare. I paid more for one wheel at the dealership than the four all together.

About the quick disco... I removed the bolt holding the sway bar links, and drilled out a 3/8" hole so I could fit the 3/8" metal clasp. Copy and paste for both sides. I bought a rubber strap with s-hooks on the end to hold the sway bar up and out of the way, when disconnected. The real advantage is felt on washboard, and rock crawling. It makes everything smoother as the left and right IFS are actually independent from each other. I haven't noticed any wobbling or clanking from the front sway bar when it's reconnected for on-road use.

I've heard about it, but no I haven't joined! Are you a member?

I just joined rising sun recently. Good for meeting more people to wheel with, lots of great information, and supporting the maintinence of trails so we can keep them open. We should wheel 100s sometime when this late start winter starts to wind down.

@LXColorado I was a member! I moved to Italy but I really enjoyed the club, great guys who know where to go, know what they are doing, do it safely and have a good time.

I highly recommend joining! New people are always welcome at the meetings, just show up with your LX and check it out! Nothing more needed

First up: base lining. After checking the undercarriage, and finding ZERO rust, I proceeded to change all the fluids (minus brakes and steering fluid).

View attachment 1629207
I highly recommend you get that "High Mileage" (HM) oil out of your rig. That HM stuff is like "crack", once used for two oil changes (according to Mobile One tech support) you must use forever. It's a petroleum base seal modifier that swells rubber seals, which you do not want.

If you've an oil leak or one develops try AT-205 reseal. It's a Plasticizer that used in manufacturing process of seals. Over time the Plasticizer leaches out and seal shrink and harden.

I replaced the plastic heater T's with brass ones, and replaced the hoses while I was in there.

View attachment 1629233

View attachment 1629234

View attachment 1629235

View attachment 1629236

View attachment 1629238
Your rig is really coming along nice, what a sweet ride it's become. I've seen you do a lot difficult jobs really well on your rig. Kudos to you!

You're going to hate me! But I'd get those brass heater T's out and go with plastic OEM T's & OEM clamps, or Aluminum T's w/your clamps. I stop using the brass myself out of concern with electrolysis, just not worth the risk adding one more element IMHO. If not, flushing coolant annually or bi may be best practice.

Last edited:
Looking great!

Thanks, Buc!

@LXColorado I was a member! I moved to Italy but I really enjoyed the club, great guys who know where to go, know what they are doing, do it safely and have a good time.

I highly recommend joining! New people are always welcome at the meetings, just show up with your LX and check it out! Nothing more needed

I'll check them out! Always looking to meet new people.

my twin! Great build

Thanks! Black LX's are the best LX's

I highly recommend you get that "High Mileage" (HM) oil out of your rig. That HM stuff is like "crack", once used for two oil changes (according to Mobile One tech support) you must use forever. It's a petroleum base seal modifier that swells rubber seals, which you do not want.

If you've an oil leak or one develops try AT-205 reseal. It's a Plasticizer that used in manufacturing process of seals. Over time the Plasticizer leaches out and seal shrink and harden.

Hey, P! I did take it out. I read more about it (also read how reliable these 2UZ-FE engines are), and the next oil change I switched back to full synthetic. I'm running Mobil 1 full synthetic 0W-40 now, and change every 5,000 miles with a M1-209 filter. Overkill? Definitely! But I enjoy the process and working with my hands - it's a zen thing :)

Your rig is really coming along nice, what a sweet ride it's become. I've seen you do a lot difficult jobs really well on your rig. Kudos to you!

You're going to hate me! But I'd get those brass heater T's out and go with plastic OEM T's & OEM clamps, or Aluminum T's w/your clamps. I stop using the brass myself out of concern with electrolysis, just not worth the risk adding one more element IMHO. If not, flush coolant annually may be best practice.

Thank you! It's been a steep learning curve on the installs. The only one I did correctly the first time was the rear bumper. Everything else I've had to redo, at least once ;) ESPECIALLY electrical stuff.

No hate!!!! That's the beauty of the forum: learning from the masters! I had this exact thought with the brass T's. I picked it over SS because it is less corrosive, and over aluminum and the OEM plastic because it's stronger/less brittle. Brass doesn't do so well with acidic solutions, and that's exactly what coolant becomes over a long period of time. From what I've read, it takes a LONG time for coolant to become acidic enough to corrode brass, and I do change it frequently. But it's been about a year since I've had them in, so it's due for new coolant; next coolant change I'll take them out and report on them!

I've more than once woke up in the morning not happy with a job from the day before, and redone it. You're by no means alone on that score.

I've not tried the 0W-40 oil. I have consider the 0W-30 or W0-20 but just keep buying the recommended 5W-30. That large M1-209 filter is probably a good idea, being closer to OEM size. The M1-102 mobil list for our use is kind of small.

@abuck99 and I have been kicking around the issue of coolant. For some reason I'm finding more electrolysis with the newer rigs that use the Toyota SLL pink stuff. We both agree it's best to change more frequent than the recommended 100K or 10 yr first flush, 50K or 5yr thereafter. We're kicking around 30K or 2 yr as a best practices.

I like the plastic T's just to be OEM correct, and scheduled replacement with Timing Belt job at 90K or 7 yr max. I know someone would rather just do Tee's once and not worry about so they go with metal Tee's. I suggested aluminum Tee's otherwise, because that metal is in our systems already and the coolant is designed for it. The one time I used brass, was because the hoses were swollen and I could not get new ones within the time frame I needed to do the repair. So oversized brass was a quick temp fix.

Funny I just pick up a 200 series and Toyota still use the same plastic tee's in them.

Last edited:
As fun as the 16"s and duratracs were, they really dated the look of the truck. I saw some pictures of Tundra TRD wheels on the forum, and decided to pull the trigger on a local set. It's amazing how many Tundra owners are selling their TRD wheels. For the tires.... I have read enough on iH8MUD to know about KO2's, and let me tell you, they are worth the price of admission. Super quiet on road, and fantastic off road.

Also added around this time was a Safari snorkel, hood blackout, and the red stripe.
View attachment 1629248

You’re right, crazy how many people are selling brand new Tundra TRD rims and tires. I wish I would have bought about this before I bought my last set of tires. Good to know for future though. Rig looks tight!

Are you still using the OME med load springs in the rear with the Slee rear bumper? If so, how much did the weight of the bumper drop the rear height?

Are you still using the OME med load springs in the rear with the Slee rear bumper? If so, how much did the weight of the bumper drop the rear height?

Still using the mediums. It dropped it about 3/4" or so ? I didn't take any exact measurements, sorry. It's definitely not a 2.5" lift anymore with all the weight I've thrown on it - probably closer to 1 - 1.5" lift. I prefer it that way, 2.5" seemed slightly too tall for my taste. Next up is replacing the god-awful OME sport shocks. They're so damned stiff, even with the additional weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom