Looking to Buy, Expert Opinion on Condition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All.

I have owned a modified 1976 FJ40 for over 20 years but have been in the market to replace it with a nice clean unmodified version. I came acrosss a 1972 FJ40 yesterday and am looking for someone that really knows their stuff to stand shoulder to shoulder with me to comb over the vehicle and help me to understand the validity of it's orginal condition. I and the truck is located in Southeastern Pennsylvania. I would be willing compensate for travel expenses (within reason), but hoping to find someone fairly local that I could trust to help me make an assessment on the truck. It is currently priced over $50k and I want to make sure that I am making a wise investment. Any advice and support is appreciated!

Thanks, Bill

It is currently priced over $50k
It would have to be VERY special for that price.
A clean (mostly) unmodified version can be had for half of that. I say 'mostly' because there are almost none that are not at least slightly modified.

Also, a few more details and a couple of pics would help and maybe save you the trouble of going after lipstick on a pig.

Also, a few more details and a couple of pics would help and maybe save you the trouble of going after lipstick on a pig.
Thanks for your input and I agree, that's A LOT of money!!! If the truck is actually what it is claimed to be then that price might not be too far off in today's market. Looks like it might have originated in Tuscon, AZ from the emblem on the rear quarter and apparantly spent the last 25 years in the PA, NY area. Seller is claiming that it is the orginal paint and no body work has ever been done. The under carriage and engine areas have definitely been cleaned up, repainted, etc. Does this add or take away from the value?

nice looking rig
it would need a closer look for the price point
rollbar was added
not sure if the reverse light is correct, @Living in the Past does it need the big light??
couple of the windshield hinge screws are different color than the rest??
in general, I'm not a fan of carpet inside as it tends to hold moisture

nice looking rig
it would need a closer look for the price point
rollbar was added
not sure if the reverse light is correct, @Living in the Past does it need the big light??
couple of the windshield hinge screws are different color than the rest??
in general, I'm not a fan of carpet inside as it tends to hold moisture

That the correct reverse light. Only 73 model had the single large reverse light. It should have reflectors between the tail lights and bumperettes. Speedometer shows 90K miles. Would expect a few clips in the paint. My 70 that has few miles and original paint chips and dings from being driven. Besides the seats being recovered the head liner looks replaced. Not sure about the seat belts on the jump seats. My 2/73 while missing the rear seat belts the original fixed nuts are still there. It really only covers the front area. Not sure Toyota ever had a seat belt to cover more that one person. Front belt was had belts for only the two outside people. Very nice cruiser but would have to inspect it personally to verify the original paint claim. Would also not paid. Anywhere near that much. But I also have a number of rust free FJ40s already.

Looks like a really really clean and nice 40 on the pics.

I would contact Charlie @ New Era Performance in Landenberg, he does classic Dodge truck restorations but would still be a very good eye on terms of the sheetmetal quality /representation.

Everything else we can tell you here from pics.

Personally for that money it should be a 75-83 with the better mechanicals..

First off, it's a VERY nice FJ40.
Just my opinion from the pics...
I think it's had an exterior respray at some point in the past, maybe years ago. I can't see the spot weld dimples that are a tell tale sign of skim coat body work. Maybe they just don't show in the pics. It's too perfect given the interior shows wear as one would expect. It's been apart for a 'restoration' at some point due to the firewall cleanliness and fasteners. Paint also looks too nice under there.
Carpet is an add on. I don't think the air cleaner came with holes in the side. Fan shroud doesn't look like the one I had on a 72.
Hard to tell, but the alternator doesn't appear to be Toyota OEM.
All the new paint on the frame also says it's likely been apart for 'restoration'.

Again, just my opinion, but it looks like a very nice cruiser in the $30k range.

First: it presents as a very nice looking cruiser. What comes next isn’t meant to detract from that, I’d be happy driving it.

It looks like it’s been restored at some point. Now, it does look like a pretty good job but I don’t buy the original paint claims. There looks to be some overspray on one of the body mounts, the frame (to me) has clearly been redone and everything underneath is black, including the tub which I don’t think is factory. As said, the seats have been recovered and a few other little things. I’m not sure what year the 3 speed switched to floor shift, but should it be column shift?

I also feel like anything at a dealer is overpriced. It’s either on consignment or they bought it from a private party.

I think $55k is overpriced (maybe not a year ago), but I’d assume $35-$45k isn’t out of line. If you’re looking at it for an investment, then you’d probably want it closer to $25-30k….

My 72(Oct 1971) was a floor shift. This is odd looking in spots. It looks like in some areas it has been restored and in others it is still original. I would expect more wear inside the fenders. Some bolts are shiney others appear to untouched. Inside, The heater looks to be repainted but the pedals and dash are not. It looks like there was a repair to the drivers door/paint where the door stop attaches. I wonder if the body was removed to repaint the frame and driveline. I don't usually comment on price, but this looks a little too expensive.

overpriced right now, like he said maybe a year or year and a half ago. Prices have been coming down or on sites like Bring a Trailer they aren't selling

this is a nice solid 40 - personally, i would not pay that for a 3spd / F combo esp if you came from a 76 before - BIG changes imo between the 2 versions - just something to be aware of. thats in no way dogging the early ones, but they are a different experience

Wow!!! I have been on this website over the years looking for information on my '76 but I just officially joined today. Thank you all so much for your input, I really value your time and years of knowledge and experience. I have been thinking a lot of the same things that have been mentioned and was not really looking to spend over $50K (it's on consignment ;) if it was 100% legit. I also agree that it is really nice truck but closer to $30k nice in today's market. It has been forever since I owned a rust free Cruiser so I probably got a big star struck last night. Thanks for being honest and providing me with great feedback and advice!!

Wow!!! I have been on this website over the years looking for information on my '76 but I just officially joined today. Thank you all so much for your input, I really value your time and years of knowledge and experience. I have been thinking a lot of the same things that have been mentioned and was not really looking to spend over $50K (it's on consignment ;) if it was 100% legit. I also agree that it is really nice truck but closer to $30k nice in today's market. It has been forever since I owned a rust free Cruiser so I probably got a big star struck last night. Thanks for being honest and providing me with great feedback and advice!!
I have a '76 and also get my corn from a jar on Rockytop. GBO!
😃

Switching gears....anyone have any advice on where I could take my '76 for bodywork, seats and seatframes in the Southesast PA area. The frame and drivetrain are pretty solid, body is shot (3/4 tub really needed). No body shops in my area are really interested in getting into a project like this.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom