Looking for a family hauler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

caz

Keystone Cruisers
Threads
Hey all, Merry Christmas!

I've been casually looking for a 100 series for way too long now. I need to get off my butt and replace our LX450 which is showing its age.

My current goal is to come in around $10k. I'd like to stay under 150k miles (if a Toyota).

After looking around for a year i've decided I'm not going to find a 100 series that meets my criteria.

We have 3 kids so I need something with 3rd row. We've determined that a 4Runner is too small, and personally I find the earlier Sequoias offensive to look at.

I'm not willing to go the route of a minivan, and we really need to keep it 4wd as it is the vehicle my wife drives when it snows.

Looking for recommendations on something that meets my criteria. I think I've already decided there isn't a Toyota that suits....

Andy

Highlander!
Suits us with a 14, 10 and 3 year olds.

Your kids are bigger and require more stuff, than a Sequoia or a Burb are the only game in town.

I don't think it is. I like the idea too.
Honda Pilot or Ridgeline may work too. The back of my RL is huge. Also Ford expedition or excursion

10k seems like a pipe dream. I have a friend with a dealer license who may be willing to help. Contact me if you want more info on that.

A friend had a First Gen Highlander (seven seat) that we took on a road trip years ago with three couples. It was only a day trip or room for luggage would have been an issue, but the six of us were all comfortable and didn’t feel packed into the thing.

Re: Highlander
If you can find 2008 and newer, they are bigger inside.
2011 and up, (facelift) has a split third row seat so luggage becomes an option.
^^^Luggage is not much of an option with all seven seats occupied.

^^^ Who doesn't want an Excursion?!

A good friend of mine has three smaller kiddos and loves his Expedition. But I think I'd go Sequoia if that were the size we needed.
Tahoe/ Yukon?
All the SameSame.
They all get 12mpg (same as your LX), so....

I would try to get over your aversion to the Sequoia. My wife loves hers. An 06 limited. The second row has way more leg room then the hundred and the rear cargo area is spacious even with the third row installed.

In 05 they started making them with the captains chairs in the second row which would be a nice option since your kids are a bit older.

They are about half the price of a 100 and I really like the way hers drives.

I’ll vouch for the highlander or Pilot as well. My sister-in-law has one as there is quite a bit of room. The GX470 is in the running but isn’t any bigger than the 4Runner BUT makes a heck of a wheeling rig a couple of years down the road....
My last family wagon was an 08 Nissan Pathfinder w/ 3rd row seating. Granted the 3rd row wasn’t very comfortable for adults but it did well for the kids. Had no issues with it. We were looking to downsize and decided to trade it on a RX350.
Another option is the Nissan Armada. It is a pig but they are spacious and will run. We still use 2 Titans for work rigs with no problems and the one has almost 250k ok it.

Thanks all.

Maybe I should test drive a Sequoia. Definitely a good price range and the right size. Every once in a while I see one that looks better than most - no clue on what package these have.

Talked to a guy about a GX470 today. Not sure if it is a good choice or not but planning to check it out.

Highlanders seem a little out of my range for a 2008 or newer.....

I haven't had a car loan in 20 years (except for the one my wife came with when I married her). Looking to stay that way so I've got to stick to my budget.

Last edited:
You are more than welcome to come take this one for a no-obligation test drive! Conveniently located just across the river.

033.JPG

I am with Fireball on this one, if you can, plus piece of mind of Toyota reliability.
Nothing else to really add, everyone else has made great suggestions.

When looking I would shoot for the 05+ Sequoia. Similar to the Tundra, the Horsepower and Torque is bumped up thanks to the VVTi 4.7l.
Also there are some refinements on that vers the older one that make it a little more pleasant to the eye and more comfortable and user friendly.
-The Headlights are slightly different in the 05+
-Transfer case is fully push button (not my preference but it refines the interior, the older ones share similar transfer case to the 01-02 4Runner where you push a button to engage part time 4WD/AWD, then press a button to lock the center diff, and then push the stick forward to 4lo, the fully push button is just that, push a button for part time 4WD/AWD, push a button to lock center diff, push a button for 4lo)
-Limited Edition gets you more perks, Navi, DVD player in the back, Heated seats up front
-Depending on the package you get the adjustable suspension for the rear, don't know if its a perk or not, myself, just another thing to break.

The GX470 is a slightly taller 4th gen (same frame) drive line is a AWD variant of the Sequoia in that you have AWD till you press a button to lock the center diff for 4WD, and then the lever for 4LO (what I liked over the dial in the 4th gen 4Runner), also with a lot of ques of the land cruiser though (3rd row seats, cluster, and some dash refinements are more similar to the LCs) and instead of a liftgate its a swing out hatch (like the Rav4)

Agreed with the Highlander as another option the 08+ would be a better option with a 3.5l (less maintenance here since its a chain not belt motor unlike the 3.3l in the older models.) The older 1st gen Highlanders share a very similar chassis to my Camry.... But I love the ride of my Camry and it defiantly transfers over into the ride of the Highlander.

Outside of Toyota, The Armada is nice as well, independent rear suspension, but if your not going to be hauling anything but the family, it is a very comfortable ride.

Honda Pilot or Acura MDX are not bad, just keep in mind your looking more the first generation of the line known to have transmission issues towards the beginning of the run, 06-08 seems to be the years you want to go for. Also I believe some of the older generation engines had porous block issue but I can't find my info on that, might have been isolated to just the Odysseys.

Andy -

I know you stated that you weren't willing to go the route of a mini van, but I gotta tell you, we buckled and bought a Sienna when our 3 kids were small (early 2000's). All I could think of when we brought it home was that commercial line "now I'm doing time in a mini van". :rolleyes:

Turns out, it was the most sickeningly practical vehicle we ever owner. Wife loved it, kids had tons of room, good in the snow, and with the rear seats removed it could haul a sheet of plywood. I know they are the furthest thing from sexy or cool, but MAN was that thing practical and reliable. Never regretted the purchase, and sold it with 330K on the clock for $3,200!

Good luck with the new wheels, whichever way you go.

Last edited:
Andy -

I know you stated that you weren't willing to go the route of a mini van, but I gotta tell you, we buckled and bought a Sienna when our 3 kids were small (early 2000's). All I could think of when we brought it home was that commercial line "now I'm doing time in a mini van". :rolleyes:

Turns out, it was the most sickeningly practical vehicle we ever owner. Wife loved it, kids had tons of room, good in the snow, and with the rear seats removed it could haul a sheet of plywood. I know they are the furthest thing from sexy or cool, but MAN was that thing practical and reliable. Never regretted the purchase, and sold it with 330K on the clock for $3,200!

Good luck with the new wheels, whichever way you go.

And there is an AWD option, just gotta get rid of those crappy runflats and find a roof top mount for a spare, had a couple customers do that while I was at the dealer.

Well, the deed is done. I spent a hair more than my goal, but the truck is immaculate

I ended up with an '04 GX470. It is a champagne color and clocks in at a whopping 85k miles!

After looking at these for a week, I'm convinced they are at a pricing sweet spot right now. No chance I could have picked up a 100 with this mileage for this price!

Without further ado...
Screenshot_20171231-205723.jpg

This is the dealer picture - I'll have to take some shots of my own. Just got home.

Last edited:
Very nice Andy! Would like to hear your impressions after you have some time behind the wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom