Builds Let's build a 79 Series from parts... (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ve rebuilt a 40-series power steering box twice... my own. Used the Toyota OEM kit. But it still leaks a little. My understanding is they need more than just the rebuild kit. They need to be sleeved and remachined to truly hold up again. I thought that was in West Texas’s rapport. Are they just replacing the seals and repainting it? I can do that...

They are.

Redhead Steering boxes are the only ones I know of who do it right.

Cheers

They are.

Cheers

The West Texas guys will tell you that they are the only ones doing it right and that Redhead isn't. Since things have been taking so long with West Texas lately, I'm inclined to try Redhead.....you've used them? Reasonable turn around?

The West Texas guys will tell you that they are the only ones doing it right and that Redhead isn't. Since things have been taking so long with West Texas lately, I'm inclined to try Redhead.....you've used them? Reasonable turn around?

Ya, they keep common boxes like a 60 or 80 on the shelf ready to go. So as soon as they get your core they ship one out.

They have done a few 80 boxes for us and did an excellent job.

Cheers

Ya, they keep common boxes like a 60 or 80 on the shelf ready to go. So as soon as they get your core they ship one out.

They have done a few 80 boxes for us and did an excellent job.

Cheers

That's great to know.....going to use them next for sure. West Texas takes so long these days.

Out of curiosity, what kind of mileage are you swapping out boxes on those 80s at?

200-300k miles.

They also built us the one going in this which is an 80 box.

Cheers

200-300k miles.

They also built us the one going in this which is an 80 box.

Cheers
My 80 has about 180k on it and it's really vague....all new everything. Thinking the box is probably not so good anymore. Might end up sending it out.

They are.

Cheers

Red Head properly hones/sleeves/bores them back into tolerance? Will they do 70-series?

Red Head properly hones/sleeves/bores them back into tolerance? Will they do 70-series?

Yes and I believe they will do a 70. Call them.

Cheers

Yes. The Expeditions 7 VDJ78s and VDJ79 all have black handles.

EDIT NOTE: the 78s and the 79 single cab have black handles that look OEM but have been switched from chrome.
View attachment 2258553
I looked up the E7 VDJ78 build and it looks like chrome to me... so does the VDJ79. The 2010-11 parts catalog, I only see them as "plated" :meh:
1.jpg
78-land-cruiser-5d5ef598eab76a50861f666bb443673e.jpg

0609-8.jpg
If you find the part numbers that would be great! thanks
Maybe powdercoated? Seems like that would be the best for durability....

Here's the skinny:

I was able to speak with the guy that was in charge of prepping the trucks and he told me had them powder-coated. It was a nice job and looks OEM, even up close.

Here's the skinny:

I was able to speak with the guy that was in charge of prepping the trucks and he told me had them powder-coated. It was a nice job and looks OEM, even up close.

Makes sense....certainly the most durable setup.

Makes sense....certainly the most durable setup.
It definitely works, but prep is key - I would suggest a very gentle media blast job to make adhesion as good as can be. Also, since the handle is zinc diecast it should be pre baked at cure temperature before coating to pressurize the casting. Otherwise, just prop the handle open a bit to get good coverage and all should be good. I am doing the handles on my 60. Picture is of a broken handle I did a test on.
20200404_213357.jpg

Your truck is absolutely awesome btw. Thanks for sharing so much info. I am putting pieces aside to make my own 70 series pickup someday

Your truck is absolutely awesome btw. Thanks for sharing so much info. I am putting pieces aside to make my own 70 series pickup someday

Glad to help the community out with the info. This has been a fun build...easier in most ways than the first one. And if that's the way it works...#3 and 4 will be even easier :)

It's nice that it's running and moving....WAY easier than Go-Jacking it around the shop.

Plus it can get out among its new friends....

20200403_172232.jpeg

20200403_172213_HDR.jpeg

Last edited:
Back on the 79 today....sorting out a few little bits and pieces. And more wiring. Always wiring. Pretty sure we have the wiring just about done.....a little stuff to take care of at the rear but no biggie.

I have ice-cold AC now :)

20200407_094300.jpg

Finished up the Blue Seas dealio wiring. This thing is pretty slick. This will charge the secondary battery, when needed, separate the batteries or connect them. Controlled from the switch in the cab or at the unit.

20200407_154609.jpg

The winch got all wired up today(going to the secondary battery). Winch has a couple of brackets that need to be powder coated so we'll leave the solenoid pack off for a bit. Putting together a small powder coat oven so we can do our own stuff...these will be some of the first things we do. Should have been doing our own stuff a while ago.

20200407_154602.jpg

Practiced some social distancing with the Toyotas today....except for the 4Runner and the 60 way in the back. They seemed a little close :)
20200407_095942.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom