Builds Let's build a 79 Series from parts... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Glam shot
20200331_181836.jpeg

Have you considered doing something with the door handles and fuel caps? The chrome looks out of place, not too noticeable since the truck is white.

Last edited:
Have you considered doing something with the door handles and fuel caps? The chrome looks out of place, not too noticeable since the truck is white.

The chrome doesn't bother me enough to change it. If it were a black/silver/grey truck I'd consider it. The biggest issue with deleting chrome is usually in the headlights...they always have a lot in there. So if you don't go all the way and do them, you still will have chrome.

The 88 4Runner I bought has black door handles on it and they look really odd to me...out of place.

Perhaps I'm in the minority here but I think any color other than chrome on the fuel caps and door handles would look out of place.

I never even knew there was such thing as a black handle until this arrived.

P2284605.jpg

We put a charge port in the upper glovebox.....this displays voltage so well hook it up to the secondary battery so I can see what is going on there. Maybe I'll keep a rechargeable flashlight in that upper box at some point. The upper glove box is super cool.....thanks to @sleeoffroad for pointing it out.

20200402_091603.jpg

Pretty much finished up the dash's center section. Everything in place and doing what it is supposed to. Switched out AC and the switch for H4 to LED lighting. It's bright. No dimmer in these trucks from what I can tell.

20200402_091943.jpg

I can’t believe how well that gauge fits above the radio.

I can’t believe how well that gauge fits above the radio.

It's like it was made for it. When I started looking around at this gauge and installs....it sure seems like a lot of clocks in modern cars have the same size rectangle shape. Maybe just a popular design theme these days. It's such a flat screen, it can really be placed just about anywhere.

I never even knew there was such thing as a black handle until this arrived.

Our ‘85 4Runner came with black handles. Not original paint but original door handles. Your white one is unbelievably unmolested.

A49A5C69-AC03-467D-A874-23D41837DC5A.jpeg

The chrome doesn't bother me enough to change it. If it were a black/silver/grey truck I'd consider it. The biggest issue with deleting chrome is usually in the headlights...they always have a lot in there. So if you don't go all the way and do them, you still will have chrome.

The 88 4Runner I bought has black door handles on it and they look really odd to me...out of place.
x2 on looking strange. I don't think I've seen a stock 70 series with anything other than chrome door handles. Has anybody?

x2 on looking strange. I don't think I've seen a stock 70 series with anything other than chrome door handles. Has anybody?

Yes. The Expeditions 7 VDJ78s and VDJ79 all have black handles.

EDIT NOTE: the 78s and the 79 single cab have black handles that look OEM but have been switched from chrome.
20160913_111940.jpg

Last edited:
I looked up the E7 VDJ78 build and it looks like chrome to me... so does the VDJ79. The 2010-11 parts catalog, I only see them as "plated" :meh:
1.jpg
78-land-cruiser-5d5ef598eab76a50861f666bb443673e.jpg

0609-8.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty much finished up the dash's center section. Everything in place and doing what it is supposed to. Switched out AC and the switch for H4 to LED lighting. It's bright. No dimmer in these trucks from what I can tell.

View attachment 2257561

The dimmer is part of the instrument cluster. With the headlights on, cycle through the trip function until you get a load of lines over the ODO. Then press and hold to reduce the brightness.

Can’t remember if this dims just the gauges or if it also dims the switches. My 78 is in the workshop so can’t check.

I looked up the E7 VDJ78 build and it looks like chrome to me... so does the VDJ79. The 2010-11 parts catalog, I only see them as "plated" :meh:
1.jpg

0609-8.jpg
Maybe they were wrapped in vinyl or sprayed?

The dimmer is part of the instrument cluster. With the headlights on, cycle through the trip function until you get a load of lines over the ODO. Then press and hold to reduce the brightness.

Can’t remember if this dims just the gauges or if it also dims the switches. My 78 is in the workshop so can’t check.

Yep....that's where it was. There are like 5 settings for the gauges only. Thanks for the tip...

1.jpg

0609-8.jpg

I do need to amend my comment. Both of the VDJ78s and the HZJ79 2 door pickup currently have black handles on them. The 79 Work Mate and the VDJ76 have chrome handles. From the photos taken when the trucks were being built up it is clear that the 78s had chrome handles. I looked closely at the black handles this morning and if the were painted after-the-fact it was a really good job. I am going to have to investigate this. Greg may remember.

I do need to amend my comment. Both of the VDJ78s and the HZJ79 2 door pickup currently have black handles on them. The 79 Work Mate and the VDJ76 have chrome handles. Form the photos taken when the trucks were being built up it is clear that the 78s had chrome handles. I looked closely at the black handles this morning and if the were painted after-the-fact it was a really good job. I am going to have to investigate this. Greg may remember.

If you find the part numbers that would be great! thanks

I do need to amend my comment. Both of the VDJ78s and the HZJ79 2 door pickup currently have black handles on them. The 79 Work Mate and the VDJ76 have chrome handles. From the photos taken when the trucks were being built up it is clear that the 78s had chrome handles. I looked closely at the black handles this morning and if the were painted after-the-fact it was a really good job. I am going to have to investigate this. Greg may remember.

Maybe powdercoated? Seems like that would be the best for durability....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom