Builds Let's build a 79 Series from parts... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got the correct AC line in today....this allows us to complete the AC and scratch it off the list.

Toyota made a change on the compressor I think....somewhere around 2016...pretty sure that's what my compressor was from. Different bracket. Different bend on the high pressure line......I had the 90* fitting hose...but the 45* one is what fits correctly. I could have probably had the 90* line modified to work but the 45 was a takeoff from a mine truck.....so it was cheap. I like the idea of having OEM lines. Need to figure out the part number for this guy...
20200323_153721.jpg
20200323_153730.jpg
20200323_154112.jpg

Fedex made a nice delivery today......the mirror covers I had done in LineX Ultra arrived.......they are EXACTLY what I was hoping for. They look just like the ABS plastic of the fender flares and the snorkel...they really look good. Very very very happy. The texture is very fine...nothing like bedliner. Funny enough though, the way I have been spraying Raptor lately looks a lot like this. I feel that the Ultra will hold up better though....especially to UV...don't want to deal with fading.

Kind of thinking a lot more on the truck could be done in Ultra.....ARB bumper, sliders, rear bumper.....entire truck.....

20200324_115149.jpg
20200324_115157.jpg
20200324_180018.jpg
20200324_180028_HDR.jpg
20200324_180037.jpg

Oh man, you keep changing my mind about so many things… Flares… Snorkel… Black mirrors… Looking quite sharp!

Oh man, you keep changing my mind about so many things… Flares… Snorkel… Black mirrors… Looking quite sharp!

Very happy with how things are coming together....just about exactly how I pictured it. Still going to visit something different on the wheels but that's going to be hard.....I really like the cheap-o steelies. Always have. Maybe I'll do them in white. Or texture black. Or dark grey.

Fedex made a nice delivery today......the mirror covers I had done in LineX Ultra arrived.......they are EXACTLY what I was hoping for. They look just like the ABS plastic of the fender flares and the snorkel...they really look good. Very very very happy. The texture is very fine...nothing like bedliner. Funny enough though, the way I have been spraying Raptor lately looks a lot like this. I feel that the Ultra will hold up better though....especially to UV...don't want to deal with fading.

Kind of thinking a lot more on the truck could be done in Ultra.....ARB bumper, sliders, rear bumper.....entire truck.....

View attachment 2248063View attachment 2248064View attachment 2248065View attachment 2248067View attachment 2248072
Wow.... those look AWESOME.

I was playing with this stuff today while real work was being done in the shop....thinking of mounting the tag on the body on this truck...thinking about how I will do tag lights. Not feeling the cool white color.....not feeling the tag in this spot either but with the style of rear bumper on this truck, I will be a little limited. Need to sleep on this one a little bit.

20200326_162512_HDR.jpg
20200326_162501.jpg

I have been thinking about bumper design for my truck, and your design is what I’m aiming for. I love how low profile it is but still has quarter protection. I will probably fabricate something close.

I have been thinking about bumper design for my truck, and your design is what I’m aiming for. I love how low profile it is but still has quarter protection. I will probably fabricate something close.

It's a nice piece. I may add a step platform to it at some point. I kind of like to be able to stand on the bumper. Not too difficult to add one or 2. The license plate could mount under one I suppose....integrate a light under the step. Might have to mock something up.

Let me know if you need any close up pics...it's pretty simple.

It's a nice piece. I may add a step platform to it at some point. I kind of like to be able to stand on the bumper. Not too difficult to add one or 2. The license plate could mount under one I suppose....integrate a light under the step. Might have to mock something up.

Let me know if you need any close up pics...it's pretty simple.

Agree the license plate on the body looks out of place. I'm thinking a step out of angle the width of the license place with two legs at 45 degree angles to hold OEM license plate lights (which are very small). Just a thought.

Agree the license plate on the body looks out of place. I'm thinking a step out of angle the width of the license place with two legs at 45 degree angles to hold OEM license plate lights (which are very small). Just a thought.

Exactly what my lead tech came up with this AM......that's what we will build. Will look pretty slick I think. Still going to go with LED lights though...just a better color.

Well this happened today....

That’s just sweet sounding goodness right there. Looks good too!

That’s just sweet sounding goodness right there. Looks good too!

Oh man it sounds so cool....we just have a little dump pipe on it but it's going to be a really cool setup I think. Very stoked. The guys really dug in today and got this thing ready to move around under it's own power.

Air bag light and the ABS light are gone for good......never to return.

New instrument glass goes on as soon as we are ready for final install.

All gauges working and doing what they do. Might see how our fuel tank switch over stuff works tomorrow by putting in some fuel in the rear tank.

20200327_165759.jpg

We were able to start the process of building the exhaust. Downpipe was first obviously....we wanted to dump the exhaust down while we're running the truck now.

We will run our exhaust inside the frame. Full stainless 3" all the way from front to back. Spherical joint/donut gasket at base of downpipe....which will all be thermal coated. Aero Exhaust Aeroturbine muffler. OEM Toyota rubber exhaust mounts. Thinking of dumping the exhaust on the passenger side before the rear wheel....sure would make things easy.

I bought a flange....we started by mocking things up to see how the 3" pipe fit.
20200327_092644_1.jpeg

Then the fun started....

20200327_114956.jpeg

20200327_144603.jpeg
20200327_144612.jpeg

Did a quick test fit to see where we were going to need to make our bend down...

20200327_150505.jpeg

And this was how we ended up....
20200327_164627.jpeg
20200327_164635.jpeg
20200327_164642.jpeg

Been waiting a long time to get this truck in my late day pic spot....

20200327_172103_HDR.jpeg

Last edited:
Lots going on today with the 79.....interior stuff getting buttoned up, 2nd battery getting wired, sorting out a few little electrical issues....still need to sort out the fact that we don't have a speed sensor signal. Will dive deeper into that next week....probably something simple.

Addressed the rear axle.....new bearings, seals, parking brake bits and pieces....everything cleaned and painted. This axle was missing the locker actuator so we installed a new one, the shield, limit switch...all of that stuff.

20200330_094946.jpeg
20200330_132338.jpeg
20200330_095141.jpeg
20200331_111743.jpeg
20200331_111729.jpeg

With an assembled rear axle......I was able to get it out of the shop. Still not ready for a drive around the block but that should be happening tomorrow 🤞

Time for #1 to meet its much larger brother #2. Pretty sure #1 is going to get a serious makeover. Looks like a 2wd truck compared to the new one.

20200331_182031.jpeg
20200331_182129.jpeg
20200331_182112.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom