Builds Let's Baseline my new to me 1993 Land Cruiser (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The flange on the seal should be towards the diff, it is the 'dust' seal.

Ok, looks like this grease seal is actually installed correctly based on a few rear axle service threads. What’s odd is that the rear bearing has lots of axial play with the seal lip oriented like this. I’m not convinced…

The flange on the seal should be towards the diff, it is the 'dust' seal.
I missed this when I posted.

looks like I need to fix my recently installed seal....I have that seal pointing towards the bearings. Good thing I found a couple new ones in my parts stash. I'll be pretty good at rear axles by the time I get this right.

Ok, looks like this grease seal is actually installed correctly based on a few rear axle service threads. What’s odd is that the rear bearing has lots of axial play with the seal lip oriented like this. I’m not convinced…

The seal isn't designed to hold the bearing tight, the spindle on the axle will do that.

The seal isn't designed to hold the bearing tight, the spindle on the axle will do that.
I didn't expect the seal to hold it tight, but it all just looked odd. I suppose because the hub seals for the front don't have a dramatic dust shield on them, and you can't use a traditional seal driver with the big flange. My logic was wrong!

I appreciate the verification!

The seal only seats to this level

20230202_164806.jpg

Without the spindle through the bearing, there us a gap there that would let the bearing jiggle in the race.

The seal only seats to this level

View attachment 3237341

Without the spindle through the bearing, there us a gap there that would let the bearing jiggle in the race.
Thats helpful. So that original photo I posted in post #1380 shows a correctly oriented, albeit very dirty, seal. Just confirming since I will run out of replacement seals quick if I foul up the orientation again!

I didn't expect the seal to hold it tight, but it all just looked odd. I suppose because the hub seals for the front don't have a dramatic dust shield on them, and you can't use a traditional seal driver with the big flange. My logic was wrong!

I appreciate the verification!

Older full floats used the same seal as the front, both of which have a seal mounted to/with the spindle as a 'dust seal'. That changed that on the 80 axle and that little flange on the 62002 wheel seal is now the dust seal too.

Earlier FF axle dust seal fwiw

HG93001__44135.jpg

Boeing used to have a surplus store in Kent that was open to the public. It was always interesting going through the store, never knew what you might find. I see a lot of Boeing stuff on Cyberauctions now so if the stuff from the 747 line gets surplussed it may end up there.

Lot's of tool boxes from Boeing at the auction this month. I would guess from the 747 line. There is a good looking Wilton vise that doesn't say Boeing but I would guess that is where it came from.

i would love to hit that up, but my wife had very reasonably reminded me that all my s*** in the garage needs to be physically transported to MN. But a Boeing Wilton vise would be a great tool and an excellent story.

Quick update.

Got a couple of hours on the cruiser today, but I had a number of other fires to put out so time was limited.
accomplished the following:
  • Removed driver side rear axle and hub in order to replace the grease seal I installed backwards. Reinstalled everything.
  • Finished the passenger rear bearings and hub install.
  • Installed new 10mm hex drain plugs in the Front and Rear Diff. I also have a set of 10mm hex fill bolts to compliment them.
  • Started a fish line down the passenger side frame rail. Thinking about routing my airlines through the frame to keep them out of harms way, but I'm unsure how this might interfere with future slider install.
  • Inspected the from axle breather and found the spring on the cap failed and stuck. I have a bunch of fuel line, and fittings to extend the breather into the engine compartment, but I may simply replace the original unit until I determine how I want to run this system. I may use the Trail Gear bellows system and keep my engine bay a little less cramped.
  • Cleaned up my greasy tools and work bench and actually had time to put them away.
  • Bolted on my tires.
Tomorrow's plan is to determine the air line routing and get the airlines out of the way so I can get the rig moving again. I have a firewall boot/ pass through in the mail as well as some expandable plastic sleeving.

No Photos, as I was in get s*** done mode.

Quick update.

Got a couple of hours on the cruiser today, but I had a number of other fires to put out so time was limited.
accomplished the following:
  • Removed driver side rear axle and hub in order to replace the grease seal I installed backwards. Reinstalled everything.
  • Finished the passenger rear bearings and hub install.
  • Installed new 10mm hex drain plugs in the Front and Rear Diff. I also have a set of 10mm hex fill bolts to compliment them.
  • Started a fish line down the passenger side frame rail. Thinking about routing my airlines through the frame to keep them out of harms way, but I'm unsure how this might interfere with future slider install.
  • Inspected the from axle breather and found the spring on the cap failed and stuck. I have a bunch of fuel line, and fittings to extend the breather into the engine compartment, but I may simply replace the original unit until I determine how I want to run this system. I may use the Trail Gear bellows system and keep my engine bay a little less cramped.
  • Cleaned up my greasy tools and work bench and actually had time to put them away.
  • Bolted on my tires.
Tomorrow's plan is to determine the air line routing and get the airlines out of the way so I can get the rig moving again. I have a firewall boot/ pass through in the mail as well as some expandable plastic sleeving.

No Photos, as I was in get s*** done mode.
I ran my air lines inside my frame - no interference with sliders

Getting it done, G! What is your estimated time to completion?
Drivable by Monday. Air compressor and QPM wiring a few weeks out at my pace.
I ran my air lines inside my frame - no interference with sliders
I’m gratuitously copying much of your setup!

Update:

Got about 4.5 hours in the garage today with very few issues to slow me down. I was able to accomplish the following:
  • Filled front and rear diffs with cold thick diff oil.
  • Installed my shiny new wits end fill plugs.
  • Installed front and rear drive shafts.
  • Routed my ARB airlines. I used a small Klien fish tape to pull the front airline through the frame. That worked pretty well. I used some Tessa harness tape to add some extra abrasion resistance to the air line where it enters the frame member.
  • I pulled my airlines up into my rear quarter panel to get them temporarily out of harms way. I have most of what I need to route them @Feldrian style through a firewall boot and up into the Rear Quarter.
  • I also replaced my front diff breather and routed it up into the engine compartment where it won't get covered in goo and road grime. I have some NAPA breather valves, but proper Toyota ones are inbound to Foothills Toyota.
  • I was goin to create a complex and very cool diff breather manifold, but I decided against routing the rear up to the front. I felt that it might have too many flat sections. Apparently these flat sections can prevent the oil from draining, which can cause a pressure build up? I dunno. It seemed overly complex to route it up to the engine bay. The rear breather is dusty and gross but still works fine so I'm leaving it alone until I decide un how I want to route it higher (if at all).
I didn't get to wrenching at all yesterday, though I had intended to. I was sidetracked by a trip to the Toyota Dealer. We decided to buy a new Tacoma, the Subaru's time has come. We need to get our motor pool down to 2 cars, so the 1990 DLX 4WD Pickup and the Subaru are heading to Craigslist. It was an expensive weekend:flipoff2::steer:.

Got a letter in the mail post marked from Medford, Or today. I opened it up:
F86FE0CE-1CB8-4FC3-9762-1814AB88AC28.jpeg

I don’t think @NLXTACY get enough credit. I noticed my new JDM shift lock didn’t have a sticker, but no big deal I wasn’t bothers and had totally forgotten about it. This was a nice surprise, but really it was an unexpected moment of great customer service. This has always been my experience with this business.

I’m gonna say it: I’m a wits end fanboy.

Got a letter in the mail post marked from Medford, Or today. I opened it up:
View attachment 3241633
I don’t think @NLXTACY get enough credit. I noticed my new JDM shift lock didn’t have a sticker, but no big deal I wasn’t bothers and had totally forgotten about it. This was a nice surprise, but really it was an unexpected moment of great customer service. This has always been my experience with this business.

I’m gonna say it: I’m a wits end fanboy.
It’s almost like he doesn’t like money. He spends more on packaging, shipping, printing, his card stock feels good in hand. The plastic baggies he uses for simple hardware is stout, even the packing paper that is crumpled up for protection is high quality. I am aroused right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom