Advice for Selling My 1993 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Proud owner of a 1993 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ80... but not for long.
This had been my main ride for many years and I never thought I'd part with it. In fact, my family was thinking they'd have to bury me in it, lol. I haven't driven it enough in the last couple of years and it's a shame to let it sit and go to waste so I'm exploring my options and looking for advice.

It only has 165K miles and only minor/nuisance issues. For instance, the shocks/suspension is original and it's never been lifted. I would think the new owner would prefer to do that themselves. I was thinking I'd get around $10K for it but If I put some extra work into it like fixing the AC, replacing the broken antenna, having it detailed inside and out, etc., I could put it up for auction and maybe get a few thousand more for it.

I've been a big fan of this forum, read many helpful articles here and couldn't think of a better group to ask for advice on this. Thanks for your help!

20220720_171612 - Copy.jpg

The one pic looks nice. Low miles is good. Condition (paramount) and FJ vs FZJ will most determine what it will likely sell for. Take good pics of it for the post. Get as much in working order as possible (AC, etc). Spending any extra money (suspension, etc) on things isn’t likely to bring much ROI (unless something is just worn out). More than $10K may be ambitious for an FJ even at lower mileage, but depends on condition.

Take at look at this thread for some other ideas:

I'm in the Cleveland Ohio area. I've been considering auction sites like Bring a Trailer, Hemmings Motor News and Cars and Bids but I'm not sure if that's the right way to go. Of course I'm considering the mud 80 classifieds but I'm not sure what it's worth. I'm taking it to my mechanic Sept 8th to fix an exhaust leak, bleed the brake lines, fix the AC and look it over to make sure it's mechanically sound. Then I plan on getting it professionally detailed before taking photos. I've had big dreams for it but finances always get in the way.

I'm in the Cleveland Ohio area. I've been considering auction sites like Bring a Trailer, Hemmings Motor News and Cars and Bids but I'm not sure if that's the right way to go. Of course I'm considering the mud 80 classifieds but I'm not sure what it's worth. I'm taking it to my mechanic Sept 8th to fix an exhaust leak, bleed the brake lines, fix the AC and look it over to make sure it's mechanically sound. Then I plan on getting it professionally detailed before taking photos. I've had big dreams for it but finances always get in the way.
unless it's mint, don't bother with the BaT stuff. Being in Ohio... what's the frame and rust situation?

Off the bat, I'd be trying to negotiate you down from 10k, but that's just me. Generally speaking, the earlier year the 80 and the further from the desert, the less desirable.

unless it's mint, don't bother with the BaT stuff. Being in Ohio... what's the frame and rust situation?

Off the bat, I'd be trying to negotiate you down from 10k, but that's just me. Generally speaking, the earlier year the 80 and the further from the desert, the less desirable.
I think it was originally from a no salt state but since then it has had it's share of snow and ice. Some rust but not rusted through. I remember the 93 being the first of the 1FZ-FE Straight 6 and I heard it was the only year with the "bus tranny" what ever that means.

The one pic looks nice. Low miles is good. Condition (paramount) and FJ vs FZJ will most determine what it will likely sell for. Take good pics of it for the post. Get as much in working order as possible (AC, etc). Spending any extra money (suspension, etc) on things isn’t likely to bring much ROI (unless something is just worn out). More than $10K may be ambitious for an FJ even at lower mileage, but depends on condition.

Take at look at this thread for some other ideas:

'93 = FZJ80

I think it was originally from a no salt state but since then it has had it's share of snow and ice. Some rust but not rusted through. I remember the 93 being the first of the 1FZ-FE Straight 6 and I heard it was the only year with the "bus tranny" what ever that means.
where it was originally doesn't mean anything unfortunately.

If you want real input, we need to see more pictures... frame, interior, etc. Any rust is too much rust for a lot of folks, especially us in the south west.

where it was originally doesn't mean anything unfortunately.

If you want real input, we need to see more pictures... frame, interior, etc. Any rust is too much rust for a lot of folks, especially us in the south west.
Thanks, I'll do just that. It's raining and dark out so I'll see what I can do by this weekend. Thank you all for your input

Ask for more than you want and be willing to come down, makes the buyer feel good . Body and paint looks good from the one picture but rust on the frame will be the go- no go for most

Ask for more than you want and be willing to come down, makes the buyer feel good . Body and paint looks good from the one picture but rust on the frame will be the go- no go for most

Maybe, but when I see something listed with stupid pricing I assume stupid seller and don’t waste my time.

Here are some more photos I found. Looking at it objectively there are some areas that could make it more attractive looking. I'm hoping my detailer will make the engine shine again. Like I said earlier, it's a shame I haven't been able to give it the love it deserves!

20220720_171624 - Copy.jpg

20220720_171716 - Copy.jpg

20220720_171736 - Copy.jpg

20220720_171809 - Copy.jpg

20220720_172958 - Copy.jpg

A rust free Red 93 was just listed by me for $27k, with 250k on it. To me, that's an obscene asking price, but it seems like all used vehicles are extremely elevated lately, especially in CA.

$10-$15k seems like a more reasonable price, assuming no rust, from what I've seen, but be willing to negotiate.

We need more photos though, of the frame, suspension, rockers, rear hatch, etc; the usual rust locations.

A rust free Red 93 was just listed by me for $27k, with 250k on it. To me, that's an obscene asking price, but it seems like all used vehicles are extremely elevated lately, especially in CA.

$10-$15k seems like a more reasonable price, assuming no rust, from what I've seen, but be willing to negotiate.

We need more photos though, of the frame, suspension, rockers, rear hatch, etc; the usual rust locations.
you can list things for any $ amount.

make it $100k. why not?

what it sells for is what matters

Reactions: YMT
Instead of joining mud and posting a pseudo for sale ad in the tech section, maybe pay for a membership and post it in the classifieds?

Put it up for what you think is a fair price and see what happens. If someone feels like your price and their willingness to pay are aligned, you'll make a sale that both parties are happy with.

With that level of crust/corrosion in the engine bay (look at the clamps, fastener heads, etc.), I can almost guarantee the frame is New England crusty.

As someone said above, forget about BAT unless it is unique and/or prisitine. Yours is nice enough (nicer than mine :) ) but isn't unique or pristine. Also consider the fees they charge in calculating your take.

I'd rather sell to another enthusiast than auction an 80 off, unless it is last resort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom