Builds Let's Baseline my new to me 1993 Land Cruiser (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Glacial update:

Ok, so I have my driver side axle all put back together with lots of grease and new shiny spindles. I may or may not have accidentally switched the dust shields…which I discovered when mounting the driver side hub and bearings. After a brief rodeo of the shields and torquing everything (again) I started on the driver side hub and wheel bearing preload.

I love how many different recommended ways there are to do this. After fussing around with the spring scale and the FSM and not being very happy I quit. I could tell I was rushing and I don’t really need too. So I made some coffee and ate some lunch.

I’m leaving it as is until next week when I’m back from a trip to MN. Maybe I’ll get to driving it again one of these days! But I am much closer, and it feels good to have the axles all buttoned up.

Oh and I picked up my old diff gears and carriers from the shop. I asked if I could have them back and they were happy to let me lug them away. It’s amazing how good they look after 220k-ish miles. Open to offers… :flipoff2:

Ok, I’m done updating my thread. Feel free to commence the brawl…
Don’t worry, I once installed the R side knuckle on the L side and didn’t notice until I started trying to put the brake caliper on.

Preload, just torque it down to what you are comfortable with. Tools R Us just torqued them down to 20-30ft/lbs. Search out his threads on it.

Reading this has been the best use of my time all day. :popcorn:

Quick... We can keep it going... @PNWTreeOctopus what color coolant are you using?! :flush:

Reading this has been the best use of my time all day. :popcorn:

Quick... We can keep it going... @PNWTreeOctopus what color coolant are you using?! :flush:

I await your replies as I cascade a bouquet of sweet green directly into my radiator

bxjqsacraj2a1.jpg

I await your replies as I cascade a bouquet of sweet green directly into my radiator

View attachment 3223124
My new TRAD radiator said: your HG Will catastrophically explode with green coolant (and forum folks will second guess any and all decisions you make public)

Recently I discarded a gallon of red that came with a 94 80 series I bought in 2014. Been carting that gallon jug of snake oil around long enough. Yellow long life from Napa hasn’t blown my HG yet. On sale, the price was right prior to explosive inflation. That’s right, I haven’t replaced my coolant for over two years, nor my transmission fluid for that matter. I fought the mud hyper over kill maintenance syndrome and am well on my way to full recovery. :flipoff2:

Recently I discarded a gallon of red that came with a 94 80 series I bought in 2014. Been carting that gallon jug of snake oil around long enough. Yellow long life from Napa hasn’t blown my HG yet. On sale, the price was right prior to explosive inflation. That’s right, I haven’t replaced my coolant for over two years, nor my transmission fluid for that matter. I fought the mud hyper over kill maintenance syndrome and am well on my way to full recovery. :flipoff2:
Put a can of condensed milk in your crappy coolant now to save your motor when your headed gasket goes. :flipoff2:

Put a can of condensed milk in your crappy coolant now to save your motor when your headed gasket goes. :flipoff2:
I prefer to fly by the seat of my pants… however, carrying a dose of Barrs Leaks might be prudent especially if we wheel with other 80’s that don’t run the Toyota brand of red. Living on the edge is where it’s at.

After cobbling together a few hours these past few days I've made some progress.
  • Front bearings repacked and reinstalled using the Tools R Us method which is a higher preload than FSM. I ditched the Spring scale I bought from cruiser outfitters, its nice and all, but I took a different path. Easy to reach up this preload debate in this forum. My rational was if it was good enough for Tools its good enough for me, Im running bigger tires, and I intend to daily drive and wheel this princess.
  • Tore open the Driver Rear hub. It's the first time I've seen the bearings or spindle. Things look pretty good, but there was ZERO grease on either bearing or in the hub grease cavity. The bearings were run on gear oil alone. Outer bearing had some damage. I can't say they are original for sure, but they are Koyo and the fronts were replaced by PO with some parts store cheap bearings. Im wagering these are circa 1993. Considering that I think things look good.
  • New Koyo races installed. I'm probably going to run bearing grease, but it seems like gear oil only does work....
  • I needed a solution for some ABS ( I think ) system wires that run along the top of my front Axle. With my air locker fitting I had a clearance issue. I picked up some steel bushings and used them as spaces, downside is the metric M8 bolts have a 13mm head. oh well.
Photos:
Old Outer bearing damage

IMG_2653.jpeg

New Races in the hub
IMG_2662.jpeg

Bushing to space out the ABS wire over new air fitting.
IMG_2660.jpeg

Bushing spacer to keep the line plumbed straight.
IMG_2661.jpeg

Doing it the way Mr. Toyota designed, grease used to be there. Wasn't in mine either haha. I don't run the seals back there and let the gear oil do the job like most older Cruisers. Been that way for several years and hard wheeling trips with great success. It amazed me how great these bearing look even when not cared for just right. I replaced mine just because I already had it apart at the time.

Ok Briefly wrestled with the Driver's rear hub and bearings. I decided to use the bearing grease I bought. I figured it couldn't hurt and I could make sure my preload was going to be all set up without learning a system that's not in the FSM. So im pro-grease for the moment. Im warming up with a cup of coffee then I can hopefully tackle the Passenger side, and install some axle oil seals and rear axles.

Getting closer. I also have a bunch of things arriving in the mail to plumb all my airlines and route them up to the rear quarter. Additionally I have started finally compiling my electrical needs for getting that old ARB compressor up and running. I figure that will be the part two of this project. Part one is nearly done. As soon as I can bring the airlines up into the truck properly I will begin to break in those gears and see what 4.88's feel like. But I'm getting ahead of my self since the truck is literally still on 4 jack stands in my garage...

This is interesting....
IMG_2665.jpeg

I have grease contaminated with oil on the passenger side, and the hub seal apparently was installed backwards ( and I think the drivers side was too). unless im drastically mistaken about how this seal is positioned. Bearings look a little better than the Driver side, some damage, but not possible to capture with my camera in the garage.

So I'm glad I decided to open up the rear hubs and and replace the bearings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom