Advice for Selling My 1993 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Proud owner of a 1993 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ80... but not for long.
This had been my main ride for many years and I never thought I'd part with it. In fact, my family was thinking they'd have to bury me in it, lol. I haven't driven it enough in the last couple of years and it's a shame to let it sit and go to waste so I'm exploring my options and looking for advice.

It only has 165K miles and only minor/nuisance issues. For instance, the shocks/suspension is original and it's never been lifted. I would think the new owner would prefer to do that themselves. I was thinking I'd get around $10K for it but If I put some extra work into it like fixing the AC, replacing the broken antenna, having it detailed inside and out, etc., I could put it up for auction and maybe get a few thousand more for it.

I've been a big fan of this forum, read many helpful articles here and couldn't think of a better group to ask for advice on this. Thanks for your help!

View attachment 3409099

All it takes is one or two good pictures from underneath for us perpetual 80 Series price evaluators.

Instead of joining mud and posting a pseudo for sale ad in the tech section, maybe pay for a membership and post it in the classifieds?

Put it up for what you think is a fair price and see what happens. If someone feels like your price and their willingness to pay are aligned, you'll make a sale that both parties are happy with.

With that level of crust/corrosion in the engine bay (look at the clamps, fastener heads, etc.), I can almost guarantee the frame is New England crusty.

As someone said above, forget about BAT unless it is unique and/or prisitine. Yours is nice enough (nicer than mine :) ) but isn't unique or pristine. Also consider the fees they charge in calculating your take.

I'd rather sell to another enthusiast than auction an 80 off, unless it is last resort.
Thanks Charlie, I appreciate your input. I was surprised I wasn't already a member when I went to post. I've been on this site so many times over the years but guess I never joined up. And you're right, this isn't the section for posting a sale ad. Just looking for honest opinions so I can determine how much time and money I should spend. I've rarely sold any cars before. I usually just run them into the ground but this one is different. I've grown quite attached and that's part of the problem. I rediscovered the "80 Series Newbie Guide" at Slee Offroad and plan on using it as a checklist for my inspection.

A rust free Red 93 was just listed by me for $27k, with 250k on it. To me, that's an obscene asking price, but it seems like all used vehicles are extremely elevated lately, especially in CA.

$10-$15k seems like a more reasonable price, assuming no rust, from what I've seen, but be willing to negotiate.

We need more photos though, of the frame, suspension, rockers, rear hatch, etc; the usual rust locations.
Everything in Cal is extremely elevated......except personal freedoms and retail outlet new openings in San Francisco

Now if it wasn't a GREEN truck, you could really be talking some big $$
:p:rimshot:
FIFY.....

Then I noticed the irony of who I was responding to......

FIFY.....

Then I noticed the irony of who I was responding to......
Yeah, already got the very best color or it'd be worth an extra $1,000 to me. Someone was arguing it's not a happy color, because the clear coat usually goes south on 6M1. But mine looks great and so does this one.

best advice i could give is to ship it to me immediately, and we will work out a fair 😁 deal....

Yeah, already got the very best color or it'd be worth an extra $1,000 to me. Someone was arguing it's not a happy color, because the clear coat usually goes south on 6M1. But mine looks great and so does this one.
I love how the green often looks black in certain lighting

Proud owner of a 1993 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ80... but not for long.
This had been my main ride for many years and I never thought I'd part with it. In fact, my family was thinking they'd have to bury me in it, lol. I haven't driven it enough in the last couple of years and it's a shame to let it sit and go to waste so I'm exploring my options and looking for advice.

It only has 165K miles and only minor/nuisance issues. For instance, the shocks/suspension is original and it's never been lifted. I would think the new owner would prefer to do that themselves. I was thinking I'd get around $10K for it but If I put some extra work into it like fixing the AC, replacing the broken antenna, having it detailed inside and out, etc., I could put it up for auction and maybe get a few thousand more for it.
A few thousand more by fixing AC , antenna, etc? I don't think so, regardless of what the "etc" entails. Sell as is, for sure.

And BTW, it's a big plus not being lifted IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom